No announcement yet.

WSU vs Houston Game Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The other issue with AM’s minutes so far... they put him out there with another five. Just makes it harder on everyone.

Comment

• asiseeit
      asiseeit commented
      Editing a comment
      It WOULD be interesting to see him play with the other non center starters
      who run the offense more efficiently. I think the kid will play at least 10-15
      minutes per game next season

• The most difficult thing about justifying keeping a guy like AM on the roster each year is finding a manager willing to carry the third tray of food for him in the cafeteria line. Oddly enough, however, there has been an increase in the number of female manager applicants that will happily take on that burden.
    Last edited by Kung Wu; January 6, 2018, 03:34 PM.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaqness View Post

Per 40 not good for a guy who'd only played 30 minutes this year. C'mon now! :)
      Just saying he does a lot of the right things. It is the ONLY basis we have to evaluate, other than eye test, and he has the piotential, in my eyes, to be a contributor during his career. Definitely not one I would declare as wanting to "move on" after this season.
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• AM is a good get. Not sure if you guys noticed, but AM was also in there with other deep rotation players. Coach than put in Shamet and CF. I think coach wanted to see how he'd respond with some of the regular rotation in there.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
          Al McGuire always used to use that term

Comment

• On Koch Arena

''You know that movie `Gladiator'?'' he asked. ''I felt like one of those guys, like they just threw us in the middle of the ring with no chance.''
            - Kelvin Sampson

Get real-time COLLEGEBASKETBALL basketball coverage and scores as Houston Cougars takes on Wichita State Shockers. We bring you the latest game previews, live stats, and recaps on CBSSports.com

Comment

• If we can find and sign a better player who is less of a project AM will be gone. And it looks like we are looking. We have one player transfer out almost every year this year I'm betting on him.

Comment

• Writing off a 7' player less than half way through his Fr season is utter insanity. AM is having to adjust to living in another country, eating food he's not accustomed to IN ADDITION to adjusting to D1 basketball and playing for Gregg Marshall. Does it occur to any of you that that might take more than 4 months of being on American soil?

Midtgaard isn't doing much when he's in games. He's just trying to get to the spots he's supposed to be at

I recall a player a few years ago who, by December or January of his Fr year was just trying to do what he had been coached to do, wasn't doing anything spectacular, and was mainly concentrating on not causing harm when he was in a game. That guys name was Fred VanVleet.

If we were going to be kicking players off the team when they haven't done anything "special:
                " by January of their Fr year, we would have booted VanVleet because it looked like he was just going through the motions in his first few games. Which is exactly what we're seeing from Midtgaard.

Has it occurred to anyone out here that maybe Marshall has told him that's the best way to learn what he should be doing? Perhaps a coaching technique of telling a new player just to move to spots, execute plays, work on boxing out, etc. - WITHOUT WORRYING ABOUT A BASKETBALL RESULT - might be the best way to bring a player along and let that player build some confidence?

If Midtgaard was doing what some out here think he has to be doing to even deserve a scholarship next year, we wouldn't have him next year - he'd be in the NBA.

It will probably be April or May before we know if AM is coming back next year or not. It's not impossible for that to turn out either way. But positing in this thread right now makes me feel like I'm wading through a pool of stupid that's up past my waist.
                Last edited by Aargh; January 7, 2018, 01:19 AM.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• WheatShock
                  WheatShock commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't think i'm the one with the reading comprehension issues. There was no comparison made between the abilities or potential of FVV & AM. Aargh simply used the example of a player that we can all agree turned out to be very good to make his point which was 'lets not rush to judgement of a freshman based on a handful of games'.

I also stand by my Alex Lomax comment with the caveat that I shouldn't have implied that the entire board has unrealistic expectations of freshmen, just that a few posters do.

• Topshock
                  Topshock commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Anybody with even an ounce of ability to evaluate talent knew that Fred Van Vleet was going to be fine when just coming off an ankle sprain he struggled out of the gate as a freshman. To compare that situation to AM's was ludicrous.
                  My evaluation of AM has nothing to do with expectations of a freshman. It is just looking at the god given abilities he has and stating the opinion they are not going to be good enough to play at this level. You are free to have another opinion and I look forward to seeing who is right.

• wufan
                  wufan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am also of the opinion that AM is a solid talent theater will do well for the Shockers I’m the years to come.

• I thought this was the Houston game thread. I must have taken a wrong turn somewhere.

Comment

• pogo
                  pogo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's called "SN no topic too exclusive to not get derailed"

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                Writing off a 7' player less than half way through his Fr season is utter insanity. AM is having to adjust to living in another country, eating food he's not accustomed to IN ADDITION to adjusting to D1 basketball and playing for Gregg Marshall. Does it occur to any of you that that might take more than 4 months of being on American soil?

Midtgaard isn't doing much when he's in games. He's just trying to get to the spots he's supposed to be at

I recall a player a few years ago who, by December or January of his Fr year was just trying to do what he had been coached to do, wasn't doing anything spectacular, and was mainly concentrating on not causing harm when he was in a game. That guys name was Fred VanVleet.

If we were going to be kicking players off the team when they haven't done anything "special:
                " by January of their Fr year, we would have booted VanVleet because it looked like he was just going through the motions in his first few games. Which is exactly what we're seeing from Midtgaard.

Has it occurred to anyone out here that maybe Marshall has told him that's the best way to learn what he should be doing? Perhaps a coaching technique of telling a new player just to move to spots, execute plays, work on boxing out, etc. - WITHOUT WORRYING ABOUT A BASKETBALL RESULT - might be the best way to bring a player along and let that player build some confidence?

If Midtgaard was doing what some out here think he has to be doing to even deserve a scholarship next year, we wouldn't have him next year - he'd be in the NBA.

It will probably be April or May before we know if AM is coming back next year or not. It's not impossible for that to turn out either way. But positing in this thread right now makes me feel like I'm wading through a pool of stupid that's up past my waist.
                Great post and spot on.

Comment

• Slykryck
                  Slykryck commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agreed.

• You know what i would guarantee? AM would be a much higher rated recruit than Fred or practically any modern shocker had he been playing in the US. The folks on this board who don’t get that can’t be helped.

Comment

• AM is like a pitcher who throws 100 mph.

You stick with them for the simple fact that there arent very many guys like them and you cant coach what they bring.

you cant coach a kid to throw 100, and you cant coach AMs size. But if you can teach them to use their given skills/size, they bring such an advantage.
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Maybe we’re starting to get a little spoiled because recently we’ve had guys contributed big early on. We had two sophomores (based on grad date) in the starting lineup on a 30 win team last year with another freshman playing good minutes. We’re getting more talented guys and expectations are higher.

With that being said, it’s not crazy for bigs to take a little longer to to get adjusted. Especially if they are not extremely athletic. He needs some time. He’ll be better next year. He’ll be a beast his junior year. I think his slower development is probably why we recruited a Juco big. AM will be fine and so will the Shox.

Comment

• Ooops, wrong thread

Comment

• Originally posted by 12eagle View Post
                        If we can find and sign a better player who is less of a project AM will be gone. And it looks like we are looking. We have one player transfer out almost every year this year I'm betting on him.
                        I will gladly, GLADLY, take that bet. Name your charity and a reasonable $ amount.

JJ Clamdip and I had the same bet for how Frankamp would do in the program.
                        Last edited by Rlh04d; January 7, 2018, 03:36 PM.
                        Originally posted by BleacherReport
                        Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Working...
                        X