WSU vs Houston Game Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shaqness View Post

Don't talk about our leading MTXE'r. Mr. Kelly will do as he pleases.
    Don't get me wrong, I love Kelly. You just play to your strengths like he usually does. Maybe they are rewarding him with those shots because of everything else he does. Maybe he hits those outside shots in practice.

Comment

• Shaqness
      Shaqness commented
      Editing a comment
      I was just teasin'

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post

It was started and then interrupted with acknowledging Gene Smithson.
    Props to the crowd for getting loud for him. Crowd was lively in the first half and then after the Gene Smithson acknowledgement it died down somewhat. Mostly due to the fact that HCGM called off the dogs around that time. Still a fun game to attend! Stripes looked better than I thought they would.
    Once a Shocker, Always a Shocker-- RIP Guy Alang-Ntang

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Zubcut View Post
      Don't get me wrong, I love Kelly. You just play to your strengths like he usually does. Maybe they are rewarding him with those shots because of everything else he does. Maybe he hits those outside shots in practice.
      Speaking of Kelly, I enjoyed the cheering for his made free throw.

Comment

• Found our team.

Comment

• Originally posted by DJShocker10 View Post

Props to the crowd for getting loud for him. Crowd was lively in the first half and then after the Gene Smithson acknowledgement it died down somewhat. Mostly due to the fact that HCGM called off the dogs around that time. Still a fun game to attend! Stripes looked better than I thought they would.
          I thought it was slightly lame though that they didn't acknowledge Cheese who was sitting right next to him.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• 1972Shocker
            1972Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            You are being unusually kind. I would call that extremely lame.

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post

Speaking of Kelly, I enjoyed the cheering for his made free throw.
          That was good stuff. He was laughing it up pretty hard after throwing it off the backboard with his first one.

That actually took some mental fortitude to swish the second one with nothing but net.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I thought it was slightly lame though that they didn't acknowledge Cheese who was sitting right next to him.
            Agreed, but Cheese was having a blast cheering for Gene. And Gene was eating it up. I was about 8-10 rows behind them and it was a sight to see!

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

• 1972Shocker
              1972Shocker commented
              Editing a comment
              We need to have Cheese and Good News back at the same time some time and have a smile off.

• Seven Shockers make a three without WIllis and Jones.
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Really glad to see the defensive effort tonight. Having Markis available I think really helps us defensively. Not sure that we will have too many offensive outbursts like we did in the 1st 25 to 30 minutes of this game but the defense should travel well if we can sustain that kind of work.

It was good to see Markis knock down some shots but in a way it was the same old Markis. He is very effective when he let's the game come to him and takes what is given but he is not so good when he forces things which he does a bit too frequently IMO but that may get resolved as he knocks the rust off and gets more PT under his belt.

Kudos to Zach Brown. I will take 5 points on 3 shots, 7 rebounds, 5 assists, 1 turnover and 1 steal anytime form Zach especially if we get that kind of defensive performance out of him.

Was this Conner's best game as a Shocker? Sure looked confident and loose to me which hasn't always been the case especially at home.

Very good game by Shaq. Will he take the next step and give the Shocks that kind of game consistently.

Really like what Austin brings to the court. Hope he survives.

Landry was Landry and that means he was good.

Good to see Rauno getting back into the mix a bit more. He was okay.

Darral and Rashard did not have their best games but didn't need to,.

Samajae, C.J. and Asbjorn probably not ready for prime time at this level. Samajae not progressing as well as I hoped he would.

Isaac Brown had the scout on Houston. Looks like he did a good job.

Comment

• forevershockerfan
                forevershockerfan commented
                Editing a comment
                The 7 rebounds and 5 assists stats both led our team tonight.

• Fantastic performance from Zach Brown. Our offense in the first half was fun. But it was the defense that got me excited. That defense looked like the Shockers we know, and the Shockers that can be the best team in the country.

Poor Gray was so excited when Brown checked out. Until he realized McDuffie checked in and was guarding him.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                Really glad to see the defensive effort tonight. Having Markis available I think really helps us defensively. Not sure that we will have too many offensive outbursts like we did in the 1st 25 to 30 minutes of this game but the defense should travel well if we can sustain that kind of work.

It was good to see Markis knock down some shots but in a way it was the same old Markis. He is very effective when he let's the game come to him and takes what is given but he is not so good when he forces things which he does a bit too frequently IMO but that may get resolved as he knocks the rust off and gets more PT under his belt.

Kudos to Zach Brown. I will take 5 points on 3 shots, 7 rebounds, 5 assists, 1 turnover and 1 steal anytime form Zach especially if we get that kind of defensive performance out of him.

Was this Conner's best game as a Shocker? Sure looked confident and loose to me which hasn't always been the case especially at home.

Very good game by Shaq. Will he take the next step and give the Shocks that kind of game consistently.

Really like what Austin brings to the court. Hope he survives.

Landry was Landry and that means he was good.

Good to see Rauno getting back into the mix a bit more. He was okay.

Darral and Rashard did not have their best games but didn't need to,.

Samajae, C.J. and Asbjorn probably not ready for prime time at this level. Samajae not progressing as well as I hoped he would.

Isaac Brown had the scout on Houston. Looks like he did a good job.
                Well said. I’m still holding out hope for SHJ. His speed can truly be an x-factor. I just wish he would look to kick it out when driving occasionally. Maybe even dump it to a big. He gets to the paint better than any guard on our roster. I would rather see him play off-ball with AR at the point when they’re in the lineup together.

One thing that I was glad to see was some rest for our players tonight. On Kelly played more than 23 minutes (RK played 27). Shamet only played 22 minutes. I would love to see him around the 25 minute average mark to be a little fresher come March.

Comment

• WSU pastes MVC teams by 30 for 4 years.

​​​​​​AAC fans: Bet you won't do that in this league.

WSU pastes AAC team by 30.

AAC fans: Bet you won't do that again.

At some point, maybe WSU fans aren't the arrogant ones...

Comment

• I do believe that by AM’s junior and senior year he will be quite the handful. Houston’s big #1 did NOT like being bodied in the paint by AM. When Marshall & Co develop him a bit more it will be really fun to watch.

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                      1972Shocker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I don't disagree with that. The primary reason he is not being redshirted is because we graduate all of size and my need some minutes out of Asbjorn next year. Perhaps the games with Memphis, USF and ECU will provide some opportunities for Asbjorn to pick up some PT. I wouldn't mind seeing him get some minutes in those games alongside the front line guys and not just mop up minutes with the end of the bench.

• Bluzrover
                      Bluzrover commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Totally agree with this. I've been worried that 3G wasn't going to get too many opportunities to play the young man now that conference play has started and, if IIRC, he only got in five games previous to last night. Getting into another five or six games during conference play will really benefit him (and us) next year.

• Topshock
                      Topshock commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I disagree. With what WSU has recruited at his position I think it is 50/50 he will even be here next year.

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                    WSU pastes MVC teams by 30 for 4 years.

​​​​​​AAC fans: Bet you won't do that in this league.

WSU pastes AAC team by 30.

AAC fans: Bet you won't do that again.

At some point, maybe WSU fans aren't the arrogant ones...
                    LOL.

We shot over our heads and Houston had an off shooting night.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Cdizzle
                      Cdizzle commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good points. Not sure how I forgot them, as I'm reminded after pretty much every game...

• Tonight, the 1st half was incredible as MM, Shaq, CF, and LS were all hitting shots. Z-Brown had one of his best games lately and held a very good player below his average. Our defense was an encouragement tonight and with MM back now, it will only get better.

One of these games sooner than later, our beloved Shocks are going to get so hot, they will break their 3-point total for a game I do think.

Thought Willis would play sightly more than he did. Austin keeps sacrificing his body taking them charges and really sells it. Just wait, when we least expect it SHJ will get this all figured out, start hitting his shots more with added confidence, and will come on strong along with Austin as the Season progresses which will make our guard play good enough to match up with anybody we will play this Season.

Last but not least, while tonight was the only game we did win the battle of the boards, I like our overall rebounding totals this Season and our bench-play continues to outscore our foes.
                    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Working...
                    X