Non-Conference Player Grades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Conference Player Grades

All Stats normalized for 40 minutes unless otherwise specified.

Grade A

Shamet - One of the few players who clearly had an improvement. He increased his scoring from 17.1 to 23.0 ppg, assists from 4.9 to 6.2. Only negative is his turnover rate has increased from 1.6 to 2.6. Shamets shooting % have all climbed. FG% from 47% to 54% and 3pt% from 44% to 50%.

Willis - He has been on the most efficient scorers for WSU. Last year he was scoring 23.9 ppg and he maintained it at 23.5 ppg so far this season. His rebounding has improved from 12.4 to 13.7 rebounds per game. He has slight improvement in his turnovers (down from 3.6 to 3.1) and assist have increased from 1.6 to 2.3. Only area that is down is his steals from 1 per game to 0.3. He has added a new dimension to his game - 3pt threat (hitting 43% this year). He is getting 5 minutes more per game this year.

Grade B

Morris - He is another efficient scorer for WSU. His scoring has increased slightly from 21.3 ppg to 22.4 ppg. His blocks from 2.3 to 3.6. His assist and turnovers remain the same. The one negative is his rebounding has dropped from 11.3 to 8.8 rebounds per game. I graded him B because of his inconsistency. WSU needs him to bring it every game and to stay on the floor (he has improved his minutes from 18 to 21.6 minutes per game).

Frankamp - He has improved his scoring from 14.9 to 17.8 ppg, but his shooting % are down. FG% has dropped from 45% to 40% and 3pt% has dropped from 44% to 37%. The good thing is after a slow start in his first 3 games, since then he is hitting 42% from field and 51% from 3pt. All other metric are similar to last year. He is probably a B+.

Kelly - His scoring is down from 13.1 to 9.7 ppg, but his rebounds has increased from 11.5 to 13.9 per game. His assists has increased from 2.8 to 4.5 per game. Blocks from 0.6 to 1.0. His shooting % is not much different from 49% versus 46%. His toughness makes up for his loss of offensive production. Solid B.

Nurger - Another player that has shown improvement in multiple facets of his game. Scoring is up from 14.2 to 15.7, his rebounding is up from 7.7 to 8.7. Solid B effort.

Reaves - Similar production from 13.7 ppg to 13.4 ppg this year. His rebounds has improved from 6.0 to 7.6 per game. His negatives is his assists have dropped from 3.8 to 3.1 and he is turning the ball over more (increased from 1.8 to 3.1). His FG% is on par with last year, but 3pt% has dropped from 51% to a respectable 41%. Overall I would give him B-, I expected bigger improvement from him, but give him the benefit of coming off post-season surgery and having to get his feet back under him.

Brown - Maybe the knee injury is at fault, but regardless his production has dropped off significantly this season. Scoring is down from 14.1 ppg to 7.3 ppg. His rebounding has improved slightly from 6.1 to 7.3 rebounds per game. He is playing more minutes, but he is shooting less (FG attempts have been reduced from 10.7 to 6.2 attempts per 40 minutes). His FG% is the same as last year, but his 3pt% has dropped from 35% to 26%. Hopefully in the break he can work on his 3pt shot and get his confidence back. Overall I give him B-, mainly for some of the intangibles, I would not argue with anybody if they thought he should be a C.

Haynes-Jones - He brings a missing dimension to the Shocker offense if he can keep it under control. Scoring 24.5 ppg with 5.0 assists and only 1.8 turnover per 40 minutes - with these numbers you would think he should be graded an A, but in the tier A games, production has been missing. Also, his D need more work and hopefully he can start to use his speed to force more turnovers.

Grade C

Grade D

Grade F

Keyser - Off the court issues and just total lack of production when he is on the court put him here. He didn't play much last year, but he did score at a rate of 15.7 ppg and rebounded 5.7 per 40 minutes. Those numbers have dropped off to 8.6 and 1.1. And he is a turnover machine at 5.4 turnover per 40. Cotton by his sophomore year was at 10.9 ppg, 6.6 rebounds and 1.7 steals per 40 minutes as a starter. There was a comment by Marshall during the preseason when asked about Keyser if he was the next Cotton - Marshall said he has the athleticism , but has not bought in.

Grade Incomplete

McDuffie - no fault of his own due to his injury gets an incomplete. But we did see in his limited minutes in one game the impact he can make. He average 13.3 ppg, 22.2 rbds, 8.8 assist and 4.4 blks - some are obviously inflated due to only 9 minutes, but it was a productive 9 minutes. His 9 minutes was more productive than Keyser 37 minutes. WSU has been missing his 18.9 ppg, 8.9 rbds and 1.8 stl and I expect those numbers will actually be better when it is all said and done.

You were mighty kind to several seniors.

Tougher competition makes the stats improvements (where they exist) worth noting, but doesn't account for what appears to be a decrease in intensity and effort. Appearances can be deceiving, but the defensive production has plummeted - even against weaker teams. Scoring is way up, so increases in ppg are inevitable.

With the D not extending opponents as far into the shot clock, there are probably more possessions this year than last year. That can skew this year/last year comparisons of offensive and rebounding stats.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I'd give Morris a C. He has to step back up to the production that was seen in the first 3 weeks of the season.
      The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Zach Brown ORtg Assist Rate TO Rate 3PT %
        2018 97.1 12.8 29.4 .259
        2017 110.1 10.3 15.6 .336

Comment

ZB a B? Did he bring you an orchard of apples or something?
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
            ZB a B? Did he bring you an orchard of apples or something?
            Maybe it the Christmas season that made me feel generous. I bounced back and forth between a B- and C.

Comment

Guards Shamet - A (be more assertive, while taking care of the ball like last year)

Frankamp - B (needs to shoot more. Maybe way more.)

Reaves - B (Solid all around, but might need to tighten up ball control, i.e. passing and dribbling under high pressure )

Keyser - D- (Makes me cringe when he's in there, needs to focus entirely on not turning the ball over)

SHJ - B+ ( Has had great moments against lesser competition. Can he do it against kenpom top 50 teams tho? Juco learning the system, he's trending up.)

Forwards
              Brown - C (his leadership gets him here, but his offensive production has fallen significantly. Knee is likely slowing him and I pray for him to get to 100%)

Kelly - B+ (So many winning plays that don't show up in stat books. Gives us what we expect from him offensively, nothing more, nothing less. Rebounding machine.)

Centers
              Morris - C- (Started off very strong, has been steadily declining. Needs to focus on his strengths i.e. strength and agility. Seems to be trending down. Hopefully with him not getting the start lights a new fire under him.)

Nurger - C+ (Solid minutes, nothing spectacular. Just what we need for the amount of minutes he gets? I do wish I could have more faith in him within 8' of the basket)

Willis - B+ (Great offensive production. Shown some serious fire. Trending up. Plays in control just a bit more and he gets an A)

Everybody else, there's not enough data.

Comment

Seems like an easy class with all the A and B grades. A B grade was supposed to be above average way back when I was a student. Shamet, Willis and maybe Frankamp are the only ones I would say are above average so far. I'd give CF a high C because his defense is poor. The rest have a lot of work to do to be above average. A one-dimensional guy can't be above average in my book. I guess I gave away which camp I'm in.
                One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

One thing we didn't clarify is the measuring stick to what we're comparing our guys to.

Against the best version of themselves? Against the best guy on the team? (Shamet). Against the D1 average?

My comparisons, I should say, are to what each player can bring to the table and *should* bring to the table, based on expectations, with a sprinkle of " against the D1 average." Eye test only. I didn't really use numbers analysis. I threw all that into the mixture of how I'd expect these guys to perform against the level of competition they faced.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxthemonkey View Post
                    Seems like an easy class with all the A and B grades. A B grade was supposed to be above average way back when I was a student. Shamet, Willis and maybe Frankamp are the only ones I would say are above average so far. I'd give CF a high C because his defense is poor. The rest have a lot of work to do to be above average. A one-dimensional guy can't be above average in my book. I guess I gave away which camp I'm in.
                    And to tell you the truth, C was never really the average. It ended up being a %, (70-79%). Did the national average change over time? Are we using an academic grading system to apply to athletic prowess, when every single D1 athlete is far above average in their abilities? If you went home with a report card as a kid with all "C's" were you neither rewarded or punished? I'm guessing we were all punished if that's the case. Which means it's not average to get all C's, but below average. And then if it's below average, then what's the new average? B's?

Comment

As long as there are 5 grades, the one in the middle is average. You said a lot of meaningless words
                      One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Root Angry View Post
                        One thing we didn't clarify is the measuring stick to what we're comparing our guys to.

Against the best version of themselves? Against the best guy on the team? (Shamet). Against the D1 average?

My analysis looked at the difference between their 2017 vs 2018 stats, normalized to 40 minutes. Secondary was overall contribution to this season. For instance Shaq, He is contributing more (pts), playing more minutes. Two things we fans were asking of him. His contribution are to me at an A level, but he gets knocked down to B because of his inconsistency.

Comment

I love Frankamp, but we sacrifice size and speed to have him in there making shots. We need better than 37% shooting from three from him. I think he’ll catch fire and bring that average up, but for now he’s a B-.

Comment

• proshox
                            proshox commented
                            Editing a comment
                            You gain quick hands, a defender tha actually folllows the scout (shut down Trae when he guarded him), a guy that spreads the floor and knows where the ball is supposed to go.

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

My analysis looked at the difference between their 2017 vs 2018 stats, normalized to 40 minutes. Secondary was overall contribution to this season. For instance Shaq, He is contributing more (pts), playing more minutes. Two things we fans were asking of him. His contribution are to me at an A level, but he gets knocked down to B because of his inconsistency.
                          One of the reasons Shaq is playing more minutes is that the defense has been adjusted to reduce his chances of picking up fouls. Against OU, the Shox were holding a second defender (above the post defender) in the lane to stop Young on drives. That left either Brown or Willis defending 2 3-pt. shooters on the perimeter. That didn't work out well.

Against FGCU, a defender was coming off the perimeter to double any time a player got into the lane with the ball - whether it was on a drive from the perimeter or a pass to a post. That left a shooter open on the perimeter. That didn't work out well.

It's looking like part of the reason the Shox perimeter defense is so bad at stopping 3's is that the scheme seems to be to leave 3-point shooters open to protect Shaq from accumulating fouls.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• proshox
                            proshox commented
                            Editing a comment
                            That wasn’t it... the defense played the same way when he was off the court. The issue is playing high pressure defense starting just inside half court. Teams are dragging their five man out to set screens and are running downhill from there.

Originally posted by Shoxthemonkey View Post
                          As long as there are 5 grades, the one in the middle is average. You said a lot of meaningless words
                          Yes I know. I was a bit bored, can you tell?

Comment

Working...
                          X