WSU at OSU Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Eric View Post
    I think at this point I’d rather see Shaq and Rauno shooting threes than Brown.
    The strange thing is that Brown still has a better 3PT Avg for his career than either Shaq or Rauno (by a good margin) -- but his average has literally dropped every single season. Brown was shooting 42.3% his freshman year -- which has declined to 36.1%, 35.5%, and now 26%.

The one that really frustrated me in this game was when he spotted up a good five feet behind the perimeter (on the backside of the N in Arena) and shot a three with 24 seconds left on the shot clock. The strangest part of that to me is that he seemingly wanted that shot specifically. He's shooting 26% from three -- he could get that shot at any point in any game of the season.
    Originally posted by BleacherReport
    Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• ZB has always come through and gets hot during the tournament. I hope that continues

Comment

• Rlh04d
        Rlh04d commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, and I definitely don't want him to stop taking threes -- by all accounts he should be able to improve to around 35% again by the end of the year, so he's due for a hot streak at some point. I just want him to take smarter shots. Don't take 25 footers early in the shot clock when you're ice cold.

• Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post

The strange thing is that Brown still has a better 3PT Avg for his career than either Shaq or Rauno (by a good margin) -- but his average has literally dropped every single season. Brown was shooting 42.3% his freshman year -- which has declined to 36.1%, 35.5%, and now 26%.

The one that really frustrated me in this game was when he spotted up a good five feet behind the perimeter (on the backside of the N in Arena) and shot a three with 24 seconds left on the shot clock. The strangest part of that to me is that he seemingly wanted that shot specifically. He's shooting 26% from three -- he could get that shot at any point in any game of the season.
      It's just dumb basketball. We have about 75 better options than ZB taking a 25-footer with 24 seconds left on the shot clock. I think the most concerning thing is that the coaching staff either doesn't seem to have a problem with it or they're just afraid to give anybody a red light with anything.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

It's just dumb basketball. We have about 75 better options than ZB taking a 25-footer with 24 seconds left on the shot clock. I think the most concerning thing is that the coaching staff either doesn't seem to have a problem with it or they're just afraid to give anybody a red light with anything.
        To be fair, that was the last three Brown took in that game. I think it might have given him the red light for the rest of the game.

I'm all for anyone (who can make them) taking open threes in the flow of the offense. His first miss of the half was perfect for him -- he was open on the corner and had a great look in rhythm, just missed the shot. That last one was just so bad it made me yell out.
        Originally posted by BleacherReport
        Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post

How is Shaq's .355, and Nurgers .338, worse than Brown's .332? I am using sports references career 3pt%. What am I getting wrong?

Also, Kelly's was higher as well.

Comment

• Rlh04d
            Rlh04d commented
            Editing a comment
            I was using ESPN's stats -- strangely, those stats are now the same as Sports-reference, but they weren't earlier. Brown's 2015 and 2016 stats, and Rauno's 2017 stats, were all displaying differently earlier today.

You're right, though -- also my 2015/2016 averages for Brown are now very different, and Brown's 2016 avg was up over 2015. I've never seen ESPN's historical stats that wonky before.

• Shaqness
            Shaqness commented
            Editing a comment
            Weird for sure. Just like CBS's box score for the OSU game. COMPLETELY OFF. Either way, it looks like 2% difference. ZB just needs to work on his shooting. He is going to get 3-5 open looks a game. It would be nice if he could cash in on some of those.

• Most of Zach Brown's shots are 3's (60% of his shots), and he's taken the 4th most out of our team (23). He is also the poorest 3 point shooter on our team (26%). Some have mentioned "when he's ice cold". He has been hot during 1 game, and for four shots. He's missed the other 17 of the 23 he's taken thus far. Flow of offense or not, we can do better than a wide open catch and shoot Zach Brown 3.

All that, and the key statistic is his average 3pt attempts a game. It's 3. I can live with 3 missed ZB attempts a game. It's when he blows 5 of them that sucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaqness View Post
            Most of Zach Brown's shots are 3's (60% of his shots), and he's taken the 4th most out of our team (23). He is also the poorest 3 point shooter on our team (26%). Some have mentioned "when he's ice cold". He has been hot during 1 game, and for four shots. He's missed the other 17 of the 23 he's taken thus far. Flow of offense or not, we can do better than a wide open catch and shoot Zach Brown 3.

All that, and the key statistic is his average 3pt attempts a game. It's 3. I can live with 3 missed ZB attempts a game. It's when he blows 5 of them that sucks.
            Won't matter nearly as much when McDuffie is back. I expect ZB's minutes to drop the most.

Comment

• Buys Zach Brown stock.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post

Won't matter nearly as much when McDuffie is back. I expect ZB's minutes to drop the most.
                  Yep. ZB is in there for defense and rebounding. That should be his main priorities. He's regressed as an outside shooter and his handles are subpar. That's not a knock, just a fact.

He hustles like crazy and he can be a havoc on defense. That's what his role is and I wish he would just accept that. He's not a shooter. Period.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• ZBs handles aren’t great, but better than his passing has been this year IMO. I would like him drive and attempt to finish at the rim, even if it’s just to draw a foul. Unfortunately, I see the defense giving him space until he starts making those threes.

Our offensive spacing once MM is back will be much improved. Driving lanes should open up. Right now, our starting 3 & 4 aren’t true outside threats.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post

Is ZB's defense replaceable by MM? Golly it's been so long since he played.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaqness View Post

Is ZB's defense replaceable by MM? Golly it's been so long since he played.
                        I’m curious to see how this plays out. I initially thought it would be DW or RKs minutes would would take a hit. Pretty sure McDuffie was the starting 4 last year. He’s a good perimeter defender, but I’m not sure about post defense. i think the minute distribution could change week to week depending on whether we need perimeter or post defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slykryck View Post

I’m curious to see how this plays out. I initially thought it would be DW or RKs minutes would would take a hit. Pretty sure McDuffie was the starting 4 last year. He’s a good perimeter defender, but I’m not sure about post defense. i think the minute distribution could change week to week depending on whether we need perimeter or post defense.
                          It'll be exciting for sure. I'd be fine with a lineup that looks like LS, CF, RK, MM, SM.

Comment

• Duff is solid on the defensive end. Once he is 100%, put him at the 3 and Kelly at the 4 and commence kicking ass. ZB first off the bench.
                            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Working...
                            X