WSU at OSU Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    It probably was posted on Shockernet and I either just missed it or I have forgotten it but I was not aware that former Shocker star John Cooper is on the OSU coaching staff.
    I don't know if this has been mentioned previously but FHCEF was also in the house Saturday.

Comment

• I imagine that Eddie has ties with many in college basketball because of his early season tournament consulting business. However, there are not many current coaches with closer ties to Fogler than John Cooper. Coop was a long time assistant to Eddie at South Carolina.

Comment

• 1. OSU came out really playing us up tight and over playing the passing lanes. I was disappointed
        that we didn't recognize and back door them to death. Instead we became very unsettled and
        turned the ball over. Since we handled it badly we will probably see more of it. Good news is we
        gained some valuable experience that we hopefully can use when we see that type of defense again.

2. I like the new nick name "hyenas". I like the angry hyenas even better. When they are working
        together we bring our own brand of nasty defense and it it won the day yesterday.

3. Just got some great seats for OU game. Better weather this year ! LS vs TY - shud be great game

Comment

• wsushox1 or anyone else. Care to chime in on the lack of post ups?

From Greg's post game comments, he made it sound like switching to "ball screen" from Motion offense made it harder for bigs to score. Maybe the ball screen offense has less post ups? I know Solomon and the other big were both great players, but does that mean we just remove posting up from our game completely? I'm wondering if it wasn't the scheme change.

1. Fouls?
          2. Solomon an Co. lead to us abandoning post-ups?
          3. Scheme change reacting to their guards pressure?
          4. ???

I'm asking to learn more about our offense and basketball offense in general. Also, it concerns me that we didn't go to our most obvious advantage in this game.

Comment

• wufan
            wufan commented
            Editing a comment
            You should call in to the coaches show

• Originally posted by Shocker Mama View Post
          Gottlieb -- still a Shocker hater.
          Awe Doug, you simpering little **** of a man. Let it go.

Comment

• OK, I am convinced that we will go into next season without Landry Shamet.

Comment

• Shoxthemonkey
              Shoxthemonkey commented
              Editing a comment
              I made the same comment to my wife with a few minutes left in the game. Lomax signing looks even better now.

• WuDrWu
              WuDrWu commented
              Editing a comment
              I’ve been trying to tell you that for almost 2 years now.

• Originally posted by Shaqness View Post
            wsushox1 or anyone else. Care to chime in on the lack of post ups?

From Greg's post game comments, he made it sound like switching to "ball screen" from Motion offense made it harder for bigs to score. Maybe the ball screen offense has less post ups? I know Solomon and the other big were both great players, but does that mean we just remove posting up from our game completely? I'm wondering if it wasn't the scheme change.

1. Fouls?
            2. Solomon an Co. lead to us abandoning post-ups?
            3. Scheme change reacting to their guards pressure?
            4. ???

I'm asking to learn more about our offense and basketball offense in general. Also, it concerns me that we didn't go to our most obvious advantage in this game.
            Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• I don’t understand the hatred towards our bigs taking (and making) threes. Is it just a love for old school ball where one dimensional bigs don’t venture more than 10 feet from the basket?

Our bigs are a combined 44% from three...better percentage than any guard in the team not named Shamet. It’s not hurting our rebounding plus forcing other teams bigs to defend 20-25 feet from the basket creates space for our guards to get to the lane. No way Shamet gets 16 free throws yesterday if OSU can clog the paint and defend the rim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slykryck View Post
                I don’t understand the hatred towards our bigs taking (and making) threes. Is it just a love for old school ball where one dimensional bigs don’t venture more than 10 feet from the basket?

Our bigs are a combined 44% from three...better percentage than any guard in the team not named Shamet. It’s not hurting our rebounding plus forcing other teams bigs to defend 20-25 feet from the basket creates space for our guards to get to the lane. No way Shamet gets 16 free throws yesterday if OSU can clog the paint and defend the rim.
                I think its wonderful that we have three big guys that are legitimate threats from deep. The challenge for the coaching staff will be to keep them from getting 3 ball happy, as long as they keep taking shots within the flow of the offence i'm fine with it. RN & DW did this well yesterday, SM got just a bit 3 happy but not terribly so.
                Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

I don’t understand the hatred towards our bigs taking (and making) threes. Is it just a love for old school ball where one dimensional bigs don’t venture more than 10 feet from the basket?

I think at this point I’d rather see Shaq and Rauno shooting threes than Brown.

Comment

• Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
                    I think its wonderful that we have three big guys that are legitimate threats from deep. The challenge for the coaching staff will be to keep them from getting 3 ball happy, as long as they keep taking shots within the flow of the offence i'm fine with it. RN & DW did this well yesterday, SM got just a bit 3 happy but not terribly so.
                    Agreed. Now if our guards didn’t rebound, I would change my tune. OSUs coach made a comment about living with Shaq taking threes because he’s not in there to rebound. But every player on the team rebounds so he’s not missed.

Comment

Agreed. Now if our guards didn’t rebound, I would change my tune. OSUs coach made a comment about living with Shaq taking threes because he’s not in there to rebound. But every player on the team rebounds so he’s not missed.
                      Even when Shaq does not secure the rebound, he is definitely a part of rebounding. He can "ShaqWall" off his opponent which allows other Shockers freedom to rebound, or he can draw his opponent out 20 feet, with his back turned, to allow other Shockers the freedom to rebound. The reason Gregg's teams rebound so well is that it is a team scheme and team effort. Many ways to skin a cat, and Gregg has found a good number of those ways.
                      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                      ---------------------------------------
                      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Tale of two halves, nice road win! Please cut down on the turnovers.
                        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Basically an 8 man rotation. Got a week to rest up, I guess

Comment

• SHJ has been sick so I'm still hoping he will make 9 plus McDuffie.
                            Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Working...
                            X