Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post

And we got smacked by Louisiana Tech.
    Is this a prediction for Charleston? You didn’t mention Providence. Who knows which team shows up? I would expect that Davidson tries to stop MM. Eric S. and Dexter D. may need to pick us up. I’m not sure they’re ready to do that. While Jamarius is playing good, I’m not sure he’s ready to score big. He’s more of an all around good player than a shooter and Ricky Torres isn’t a shooter. We will just have to wait and see.

Comment

And we got smacked by Louisiana Tech.
      And the Shockers subsequently beat a much better Providence team on the road; so your point is??????

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Is this a prediction for Charleston? You didn’t mention Providence. Who knows which team shows up? I would expect that Davidson tries to stop MM. Eric S. and Dexter D. may need to pick us up. I’m not sure they’re ready to do that. While Jamarius is playing good, I’m not sure he’s ready to score big. He’s more of an all around good player than a shooter and Ricky Torres isn’t a shooter. We will just have to wait and see.
        Not a prediction. Actually the complete opposite. We have no idea what to expect or predict. I was just pointing out he was cherry picking data to make it seem a little rosier than it actually is. I actually like our matchup with Davidson. They have almost no depth, very young team, and only have 1 legit big (who is a freshman). If we can play good peremiter D and prevent penetration in the lane I think we have a good shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Kberre0673 View Post
          The dream would be to beat Davidson, Purdue and Va Tech
          I agree with you; those victories would be a dream come true for the Shockers and their real fans!

Comment

Great to get our youngsters some early tournament experience for the future end of season tournaments to follow the rest of their careers.

Comment

Any more than one win in the tournament would be a success with this young team. I think we should have a decent amount of followers there. Looking forward to it.

Comment

Not a prediction. Actually the complete opposite. We have no idea what to expect or predict. I was just pointing out he was cherry picking data to make it seem a little rosier than it actually is. I actually like our matchup with Davidson. They have almost no depth, very young team, and only have 1 legit big (who is a freshman). If we can play good peremiter D and prevent penetration in the lane I think we have a good shot.
                Get off your stationary negativity bike; my post did not "cherry pick" any data. I simply posted summary information from each of the possible tournament opponents last game played. And stated that IMO excellent coaching and increased live game experience for the young Shocker roster is projecting well. Check out Andy Katz's article if you need help getting off that bike - Andy ranks the Shockers 26th after their win over Providence.

Glad we agree that the Shockers' matchup with Davidson is promising for the Shockers.

Comment

Quotables: Gregg Marshall - Pre-Charleston Classic

https://goshockers.com/news/2018/11/...on-classi.aspx

3G in a talkative mood. Covered a lot of territory. The Providence game, lessons learned from La Tech game, Teddy Allen, trip to the Capitol and the Naval Academy, the Charleston trip, Coach Kresse's impact, Davidson.

We've still got many, many, many things that we don't do well. As I said earlier going into the season, I think you are going to see the rocky type of 'Dow Jones Industrial Average' graph for our team with the good, the bad and the ugly. In two games you've seen a little bit of both, already. We're capable -- at least we know we are capable -- of playing well. We also know that we are capable of not playing well.

Comment

"NCAA Basketball: 2018 Gildan Charleston Classic preview and predictions" - Fansided Sports

by Jerran Anderson
                    Posted: 11/14/18, 8:00am cst

The 2018 Gildan Charleston Classic has quite the rich history since its inception in 2008. This year, the classic boasts another competitive field.

"The Gildan Charleston Classic is entering its 11th year in 2018 as one of ESPN’s premier preseason tournaments during the month of November. It should be an action-packed one as five of this year’s eight participants were NCAA Tournament teams last season.

This year’s tournament will be played from Nov. 15, 16 and 18 at the TD Arena in Charleston, South Carolina. The Alabama Crimson Tide, Davidson Wildcats, Virginia Tech Hokies, Purdue Boilermakers and Wichita State Shockers headline the tournament while being joined by the Northeastern Huskies, Appalachian State Mountaineers and Ball State Cardinals.

Last year, the Temple Owls defeated the Clemson Tigers in the finals of the Gildan Classic. Temple forward Obi Enechionyia took home the tournament MVP award after he put up 12 points and six rebounds in the championship game.

There are two teams ranked (Purdue and Virginia Tech) in the AP Poll Top 25 rankings in this year’s tournament. The Hokies are ranked No. 16 while the Boilermakers are No. 23. Both are on a collision course to face off in the championship game in this year’s bracket. The road won’t be easy for them to get to the championship game looking at the matchups.

Three Power 5 teams and two mid-major programs that are usually tough come March are prepared. The Gildan Classic is set to kick off this Thursday, here’s a look at this year’s field....

Davidson Wildcats (2-0)
                    The Davidson Wildcats are another of the four undefeated teams entering this year’s Gildan Classic. They’ll be up against one of the tougher teams in a must-see opening round game against the Shockers on Thursday night. The Wildcats have survived a scare already against the Dartmouth Big Green, coming out with a 79-76 victory last Friday night. After trailing 40-33 at halftime, Davidson got things together despite allowing 15 made 3-pointers on defense. They’ll have their hands full in Charleston with Wichita State.

Wichita State Shockers (1-1)
                    Wichita State has a loss already on their record from a season-opening loss to the Louisiana Tech Red Raiders, 71-58, on last Tuesday. They got things together in a hurry in the next game against the Providence Friars, winning that one 83-80, behind 32 points from 6-foot-8 senior forward Markis McDuffie. Head coach Gregg Marshall and the Shockers are retooling after a productive 2017-18 campaign. They were upset in last year’s NCAA Tournament by the Marshall Thundering Herd and this year, they’re an underdog against an undefeated Davidson squad in the Gildan Classic.

Early favorites
                    As mentioned earlier, the Boilermakers and Hokies are on a collision course to meet in this year’s Gildan Classic final....

Under-the-radar teams
                    The under-the-radar teams to watch play in the opening round. Davidson and Wichita State are both well-coached squads and are typically at the top of their respective conferences by season’s end. Whoever wins their game could find themselves in the championship game on Sunday.

Davidson needed three free throws from Kellen Grady with 4.7 seconds left in their last game to get a 79-76 victory over a hot-shooting Dartmouth squad. Wichita State is a different beast, shooting 40.9 percent from 3-point range as a team so far this season.

Predictions Round 1 – Nov. 15:

Wichita State vs. Davidson
                    This will probably be the most exciting game of the opening round. Two mid-major teams with 11 combined NCAA Tournament appearances between them across the last eight seasons. Davidson has two scoring threats in the backcourt in Kellen Grady and Jon Axel Gudmundsson. Grady is averaging 23.5 points per contest this season while Gudmundsson is putting up 20.0 points per game.

It should be a battle in the frontcourt as the Shockers’ Markis McDuffie faces off against Wildcats’ forward Luka Brajkovic. McDuffie may not end up guarding Brajkovic, but as the best players on their respective clubs, all eyes will be on them to be the X-factors. It’s hard to pick against the Shockers but given the scorers the Wildcats have, they should come out on top....

Comment

Hard to take that preview seriously in any aspect. The La Tech Red Raiders? WSU is a mid major and is being compared similarly to Davidson?

lol
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                      X