Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of teams we might face in the 2018 Charleston Classic:

"...Top college basketball preseason power rankings" - ESPN

Kansas and Kentucky are loaded. No surprise there. Duke and UNC are in the mix - as usual. But a couple of other contenders just might surprise you.

14. Virginia Tech Hokies: This could be the season Buzz Williams puts it together in Blacksburg and reaches the second weekend after getting bounced in Round 1 each of the past two seasons. Four starters are back as well as one of the most versatile players in the ACC in Chris Clarke. The Hokies have to improve defensively after giving up more than one point per possession in 14 of their final 17 games.

24. Alabama Crimson Tide: Even with Collin Sexton at the point of attack, Avery Johnson's team ranked outside the top 100 nationally in offensive efficiency. That will need to improve without Sexton, but Johnson brought in some reinforcements in ESPN 100 prospect Kira Lewis and Texas transfer Tevin Mack. Returnees John Petty and Herbert Jones are poised for steps forward.

Comment

This year's Charleston Classic has a much better field then the two previous years, as we have 7 teams in the top 100 of the "Top 144" rankings.
      2018 Teams Top 144 Kenpom
      Purdue 30 18
      Virginia Tech 18 22
      Alabama 56 51
      Wichita State 46 72
      Davidson 57 83
      Northeastern 69 78
      Ball State 96 109
      Appalachian State 145 178
      Averages 64.6 76.4

2017 Teams
      There were 3 top 100 teams in the “Top 144” with an overall “KenPom” average of 112.

2016 Teams
      There were 3 top 100 teams in the “Top 144” with an overall “KenPom” average of 143.

Comment

• bunck
        bunck commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, good research.

• Shocker1976
        Shocker1976 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the information; I have a Shocker friend visiting South Carolina to watch the Shockers play in the tournament. Charleston is a great city to visit and the tournament should produce some excellent basketball.

Which hotel will the team be staying?

Comment

We headed there next year with Florida, Xavier, and Miami (FL). Let's make the AAC back-to-back Champs.

Comment

I will be there on that Thu & Fri to cheer on the Shockers. I'm taking a swing to Charleston from here (VA Beach) to head home for Thanksgiving. I went to the A-10 tournament in March --- Davidson has a rising sophomore (Kellen Grady) who is a player for sure.

Comment

I’ll be there for the Sunday game only.

Comment

I will be there for all three...in spirit!!!

Comment

• im4wsu
                im4wsu commented
                Editing a comment
                That's somewhat haunting

I had planned on going, but just came home from 8 days in the hospital with 4 procedures to go. My wife and I have hit 3/4 road games a year for the last several years, but it looks like we will be miss this year. Hope to make USF Jan 22.

Comment

"ESPN's preseason college basketball All-America team" - ESPN

By Jeff Borzello, Staff Writer
                Posted: Oct 30, 2018

Might face this guy, if we can get by Davidson in the first game.

"Carsen Edwards, Purdue
                There might not be a bigger shoo-in for the preseason All-America team than Purdue's Carsen Edwards. He was one of the biggest breakout stars in college basketball last season, going from a player who split his time between the bench and the starting lineup to among the nation's best playmakers.

Heading into the 2017-18 season, Edwards was essentially the biggest factor in whether Purdue was going to have a successful season. Four starters returned from the prior season, with All-American Caleb Swanigan the lone departure. So Edwards had some pretty big shoes to fill. Of course, the 6-foot-1 Edwards had very little in common with the 6-foot-9 Swanigan -- but Edwards slotted into his spot in the starting lineup and everyone slid up a position...."

Comment

I have a couple of all-session tickets that we are not going to be able to use. Premium sideline general admission. Paid $253 for them. Will sell for $150. Anyone interested?

Comment

• Shocker1976
                    Shocker1976 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I will PM you; I will need two tickets.

Didn't see if anyshockfans had posted this, but seems like the Charleston favorites lost a key cog.

Comment

First week's results of teams that are in the Charleston Classic:
                    2018 Teams Wins Losses
                    Purdue 2 0
                    Virginia Tech 1 0
                    Alabama 2 0
                    Wichita State 1 1
                    Davidson 2 0
                    Northeastern 1 1
                    Ball State 1 1
                    Appalachian State 0 1
                    Totals 10 4
                    Ball State lost to Purdue and Appalachian State lost to Alabama in pre-tournament games.

Comment

Getting ready to attend the tournament (thank you Mama Shocker) with a life long friend and am becoming more confident regards the Shockers chances for an outstanding tournament. Pick him up at the Charleston airport tomorrow, tour the city and treat him to wonderful dining in a great Southern City; then on to an exciting basketball tournament.

IMO due to excellent coaching and increasing game experience the Shockers have begun to turn the corner and could win the tournament; have an excellent chance to finish 3rd; or maybe a woeful 5th Place.

Virginia Tech is not the same team without Clarke; 7 of 10 shooting in 27 minutes off the bench by a freshman guard enabled them to beat Gardner Webb at home.

Purdue beat Ball State (V-Tech's opening opponent) by 9 due to a 24-4 second half run when leading 48-45

Applachian State lost to Alabama 81-73 in game played at Tuscaloosa

Davidson (Shockers opening round opponent) beat Dartmouth 79-76 due to second half rally when down 76-68 with 3 minutes to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
                        Getting ready to attend the tournament (thank you Mama Shocker) with a life long friend and am becoming more confident regards the Shockers chances for an outstanding tournament. Pick him up at the Charleston airport tomorrow, tour the city and treat him to wonderful dining in a great Southern City; then on to an exciting basketball tournament.

IMO due to excellent coaching and increasing game experience the Shockers have begun to turn the corner and could win the tournament; have an excellent chance to finish 3rd; or maybe a woeful 5th Place.

Virginia Tech is not the same team without Clarke; 7 of 10 shooting in 27 minutes off the bench by a freshman guard enabled them to beat Gardner Webb at home.

Purdue beat Ball State (V-Tech's opening opponent) by 9 due to a 24-4 second half run when leading 48-45

Applachian State lost to Alabama 81-73 in game played at Tuscaloosa

Davidson (Shockers opening round opponent) beat Dartmouth 79-76 due to second half rally when down 76-68 with 3 minutes to play.
                        And we got smacked by Louisiana Tech.

Comment

The dream would be to beat Davidson, Purdue and Va Tech

Comment

Working...
                        X