No announcement yet.

2018 Charleston Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That App state video is almost as bad as the Panthers doing their Call Me Maybe imitation hahaha

Comment

All about that Drake!
      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
        All about that Drake!
        We really need a dislike button.
        Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

I was jacked about going to Charleston, but the championship game isn't only a day later, but like 8:30pm Central on Sunday night.....Huge gap and another day off work due to the late tip time.
          Robin Roberts: "My mother used to say, when you strut, you stumble."

Comment

That App state video is almost as bad as the Panthers doing their Call Me Maybe imitation hahaha

Comment

"Texas, Charleston Classic Headline Purdue Men’s Basketball Non-Conference Schedule" - Indiana Sports Coverage

By Eric Wilson
              May 18, 2018

"...Purdue, Virginia Tech and Alabama Headline Charleston Classic
              Not too big of a tournament like the Maui Invitational or Battle 4 Atlantis, but the Charleston Classic provides a mixture of mid-major teams and power five schools. On the scale of most watchable during the Thanksgiving holidays, the Charleston Classic probably falls somewhere middle of the pack, but this year’s field has some pretty fun teams in it, Purdue being included. The Boilermakers are in the same field as Virginia Tech, Alabama, Wichita State and Davidson, who all made the NCAA Tournament this past season. The other three teams in this field include in-state rival Ball State (who the Boilers play before heading to Charleston), Northeastern and Appalachian State. The Charleston Classic is one of the first tournaments over the Thanksgiving Holidays, and will be played at TD Arena, home of the College of Charleston Cougars.

Overall, as stated before, this is a pretty nice field and could be one of the better tourney’s the Charleston Classic has had. The Boilermakers headline the field with two rising programs in Virginia Tech and Alabama, and one that will probably take a few step backs next year in Wichita State. If Carsen Edwards and Nojel Eastern return for Purdue, the Boilermakers will probably be co-favorites with Virginia Tech, if not the actual favorite entirely. The Hokies return three of their top four scorers off a team that beat Virginia, North Carolina and Duke last year, so they very well could be a top 25 team to start the season. Alabama lost stellar freshman Collin Sexton to the draft and sophomore Braxton Key to transfer, but will return Donta Hall, John Petty and bring in a solid class of freshmen to help the Crimson Tide, who look like to be in the middle of the SEC pecking order as of right now. Davidson could be the wildcard in this tournament, who won the Atlantic 10 tournament last year and gave Kentucky a run for their money in this year’s NCAA Tournament. The Wildcats however lost six seniors off that squad, so like Purdue, Davidson will look to start a new chapter with new generation of players.

Overall this could make for an interesting tournament and could be what a young Purdue squad trying to gel early could need. The first round opponent and tournament bracket has yet to be released, but expect that to be announced within the next coming weeks...."

Comment

Chip on shoulder #xx
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Charleston, SC a beautiful old town, a cleaner version of New Orleans.

Comment

"10 non-conference basketball tournaments that could be key come Selection Sunday" - NCAA.com

Andy Katz, Correspondent
                    Last Updated - Jun 14, 2018 11:30am EDT

Playing in a two- or three-game non-conference tournament can sometimes provide the necessary wins a team needs comes Selection Sunday in March.

"Playing in a two- or three-game non-conference tournament can sometimes provide the necessary wins a team needs comes Selection Sunday in March.

But the key is to get the right games in these fields. If you lose in a quarterfinal matchup and miss out on playing quality games in the next two rounds, the whole tournament can be a missed opportunity. These games are precious.

A number of tournaments have already been bracketed, but here in mid-June are still up in the air. Organizers and television executives are deciding on the best matchups for ratings and/or due to seedings.

The Charleston Classic (Nov. 15-16 & 18) is going on at the same time and has high-level field that may not get the national pub but has plenty of teams that could make the NCAA tournament. The teams are: Alabama, Appalachian State, Ball State, Davidson, Northeastern, Purdue, Virginia Tech and Wichita State.

The top five seeds should be: 1. Virginia Tech; 2. Purdue; 3. Alabama; 4. Davidson; 5. Wichita State. Alabama and Davidson could be switched, but either way they are both going to be in the hunt for an NCAA tournament berth. Alabama still has plenty of experience, despite losing Colin Sexton. I can even see an argument to move the Tide ahead of Purdue. Davidson is my pick to win the A-10 behind Kellan Grady. The Hokies have the most experienced team under Buzz Williams.

Purdue has the best player in this field, maybe the most important in the Big Ten, and a possible Player of the Year candidate in Carsen Edwards. The Shockers are retooling, but never doubt Gregg Marshall’s ability to get his team ready for a challenge. If Wichita State were to go on a run here, it would do wonders for its profile heading into the AAC. Davidson will play a challenging schedule but picking up wins against these teams will help its résumé tremendously. Still, getting semifinals of Virginia Tech vs. Davidson/Wichita State and Purdue vs. Alabama would produce quality games for all."

Comment

I fear for HCGM and his youthful squad.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
                      For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
                      - said no one ever...

Comment

Ranking 2018’s Five Best Early-Season Tournaments" - The Sports Quotient

by Joe Ilardi
                        Posted: 2 August 2018, 10:00 AM

"...It’s pretty clear early-season tournaments don’t make or break seasons, but they do give important information about teams under pressure against top-tier talent. 2018’s invitationals are scheduled, and the matchups are infinitely intriguing.

Based on last season’s performance, strength of schedule, and roster turnover, below are my top-ranked invitationals:

1. Maui Invitational - Nov. 19-21

The eight-team field includes Auburn, Xavier, Duke, San Diego State, Arizona, Iowa State, Gonzaga, and Illinois.

2. Charleston Classic - Nov. 15, 16, 18

The field is a bit top-heavy with Purdue, Alabama, and Wichita State, but Davidson and Virginia Tech are strong competitors in this classic.

Wichita St. / Davidson
                        Finally, an exciting quarterfinal matchup! After Davidson’s narrow loss to Kentucky in the first round of the NCAA tournament, and Wichita State’s major upset loss to Marshall in the same round, both teams will be looking to make it back to the dance without key pieces. The absence of Landry Shamet, Shaquille Morris, and Conner Frankamp and the transfer of Austin Reaves leaves the Shockers without many options besides senior Markis McDuffie. Davidson, however, will be returning three starters, most importantly including point guard Jon Axel Gudmonsson and the A10 ROY Kellan Grady. Wichita will try to counter Davidson’s experience with their new junior point guard, JUCO All-American transfer Ricky Torres, who put up 17 points and eight assists per game at Missouri State Western Plains. Ultimately, I think Davidson’s high-powered offense overcomes Wichita’s shoddy defense, but either way this should be an exciting grind-it-out game between two mid-majors looking to prove something.

3. Battle 4 Atlantis - Nov. 21-23

Includes: Virginia, Florida, Wisconsin, Butler, Oklahoma, Middle Tennessee St.ate, Dayton, and Stanford

4. Las Vegas Invitational - Nov. 22-23

UCLA, Michigan State, North Carolina, and Texas

5. Advocare Invitational - Nov. 22, 23, 25

This year, the field will include defending champion Villanova, Canisius, Oklahoma State, Memphis, The College of Charleston, LSU, UAB, and Florida State. ..."

Comment

• ShockTalk
                          ShockTalk commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Even based on that 2017 criteria, I probably wouldn't have Charleston higher than 4th among those groups.

• Stickboy46
                          Stickboy46 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Says we are missing basically everyone of note from last year (minus McDuffie) ... then turns around and uses Last years defensive numbers to proclaim we will lose this year ....

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                        Ranking 2018’s Five Best Early-Season Tournaments" - The Sports Quotient

by Joe Ilardi
                        Posted: 2 August 2018, 10:00 AM

"...It’s pretty clear early-season tournaments don’t make or break seasons, but they do give important information about teams under pressure against top-tier talent. 2018’s invitationals are scheduled, and the matchups are infinitely intriguing.

Based on last season’s performance, strength of schedule, and roster turnover, below are my top-ranked invitationals:

1. Maui Invitational - Nov. 19-21

The eight-team field includes Auburn, Xavier, Duke, San Diego State, Arizona, Iowa State, Gonzaga, and Illinois.

2. Charleston Classic - Nov. 15, 16, 18

The field is a bit top-heavy with Purdue, Alabama, and Wichita State, but Davidson and Virginia Tech are strong competitors in this classic.

Wichita St. / Davidson
                        Finally, an exciting quarterfinal matchup! After Davidson’s narrow loss to Kentucky in the first round of the NCAA tournament, and Wichita State’s major upset loss to Marshall in the same round, both teams will be looking to make it back to the dance without key pieces. The absence of Landry Shamet, Shaquille Morris, and Conner Frankamp and the transfer of Austin Reaves leaves the Shockers without many options besides senior Markis McDuffie. Davidson, however, will be returning three starters, most importantly including point guard Jon Axel Gudmonsson and the A10 ROY Kellan Grady. Wichita will try to counter Davidson’s experience with their new junior point guard, JUCO All-American transfer Ricky Torres, who put up 17 points and eight assists per game at Missouri State Western Plains. Ultimately, I think Davidson’s high-powered offense overcomes Wichita’s shoddy defense, but either way this should be an exciting grind-it-out game between two mid-majors looking to prove something.

3. Battle 4 Atlantis - Nov. 21-23

Includes: Virginia, Florida, Wisconsin, Butler, Oklahoma, Middle Tennessee St.ate, Dayton, and Stanford

4. Las Vegas Invitational - Nov. 22-23

UCLA, Michigan State, North Carolina, and Texas

5. Advocare Invitational - Nov. 22, 23, 25

This year, the field will include defending champion Villanova, Canisius, Oklahoma State, Memphis, The College of Charleston, LSU, UAB, and Florida State. ..."

Attention Coldblooded!

”shoddy defense” and “m__ ma___”.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

On cue... great guitar/keyboard solo! :)

Funny promo video for Appalachian State University (ASU)App State is Hot Hot Hot!Shoutout to all the viewers in India (250,000 in 2010)

Started to burst out of my rocker and bust some sizzlin dance moves as done in my younger days when my Pa called me Sun, but was scart I would pull a hammy. Yipes, Stripes, Beechnut Gum!!!
                        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Feel bad for the Charleston area... They have to endure another hurricane come November... category 5... Hurricane Marshall...I kid I kid...lol

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                            WSUwatcher commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Let's hope Hurricane Marshall limits his damage to what's inflicted inside the arena on teams expecting WSU to play "shoddy defense." This year's Shocker edition should have no shortage of bulletin board material to find and use for, shall we say, inspiration.

Originally posted by choida View Post
                          Feel bad for the Charleston area... They have to endure another hurricane come November... category 5... Hurricane Marshall...I kid I kid...lol
                          Brunt of Florence to miss Charleston. Still heavy rains and 55+ winds, but hopefully the VRBO house I rented for the week on Kiawah Island will still be there and in good condition come November.
                          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                          ---------------------------------------
                          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                          X