No announcement yet.

Interesting Observation on AAC vs MVC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The floor for bids in the AAC is three, while the ceiling for the MVC was three.

Pretty clear from the data JHP posted.

Comment

Originally posted by chitown_shocker View Post

There is no point. This is all meaningless and we are destined to die alone.

:cowbell: Happy Friday!!!!!!
      This is also pretty easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthroshock View Post
        The floor for bids in the AAC is three, while the ceiling for the MVC was three.

Pretty clear from the data JHP posted.
        I disagree. If WSU and Cincy both pull away from the pack, we could easily see a 2 seed, a 3 seed, and then several teams in the NIT.

Yes, 3 bids seems likely, but just look at the 2007 MVC to see what is possible. Half the league that year was between 53 and 86 in KenPom. That makes for an excellent conference, but doesn't necessarily earn a ton of NCAA bids.

2006 wasn't as strong as 2007 overall, but the MVC received 4 bids that year (and nearly 5 or 6).

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
          Also, man, that 2007 MVC! All 10 teams in the top 140. 8 teams in the top 86!
          It looks like the MVC has the potential to be a good mid-major 1 bid league. Not really surprising.

Comment

Read the first 3 words of my original post.
            Oh, I see your point now...

CHUCK.png

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Oh, I see your point now...

CHUCK.png
              What point are you trying to make? Or are you just grinding an axe for fun?

Comment

Originally posted by chitown_shocker View Post

What point are you trying to make? Or are you just grinding an axe for fun?
                Ah, chivalry isn't dead... Long time no see buddy!

Did you happen to watch the "AAC vs. MVC" match up this afternoon? Kenpom got that one wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

It looks like the MVC has the potential to be a good mid-major 1 bid league. Not really surprising.
                  If the MVC has a better conference rank this year (without WSU) than any of the last 4 years with the Shox (top 11 KenPom all 4 years), that would be incredibly surprising. I'm not talking about NCAA bids. I'm talking about the incredible depth and lack of terrible teams they've somehow collected this year. No way any of us saw this coming.

Comment

If the MVC has a better conference rank this year (without WSU) than any of the last 4 years with the Shox (top 11 KenPom all 4 years), that would be incredibly surprising. I'm not talking about NCAA bids. I'm talking about the incredible depth and lack of terrible teams they've somehow collected this year. No way any of us saw this coming.
                    Certainly not I. I was expecting the Valley's lone bid to be a 14 seed, even if the auto bid went to the regular season conference champ. Still may be the case if they all beat up on each other like they tend to do.

Comment

Another W goes to the MVC over the AAC.

Dummies who never even watch the MVC would try to make you believe anybody could go 68-4 in the Valley. As if it were on the level of the OVC or SunBelt. Too busy fawning over bigmonday to even notice.

Comment

KenPom currently has the entire MVC ranked between #73 (Loyola) and #164 (Illinois St). Could be a really good conference race top to bottom, but zero interest as far as the at large picture.

Have to go back to 2007 to find the last time that the entire conference finished inside the top 200.
                        Have to go back to 2009 to find the last time that the entire conference finished outside the top 50.

KenPom started in 2002. Never has the entire conference finished between 51-199.

Comment

Here’s a bizarre tidbit.

MVC teams have 6 conference games remaining. 8 of the 10 teams are projected to go 3-3. The other 2 are projected 4-2 and 2-4.

Also, Loyola is projected to win the league by 2 games with a 13-5 record. The 8 seed is projected to be 8-10.

That’s some insane equality of mediocrity right there.

Comment

Originally in response to the AAC having a “floor of 3 bids”...

I disagree. If WSU and Cincy both pull away from the pack, we could easily see a 2 seed, a 3 seed, and then several teams in the NIT.
                            Current projections at bracket matrix show a 3, 7, and 11 (Houston). Houston is extremely lucky they haven’t yet played either game vs SMU. Injuries have turned SMU into a shell of their January selves. That said, Houston is still just barely in, and the AAC is far from a lock to receive 3 bids as SMU and Temple are both long shots to replace Houston as #3 if Houston stumbles.

Very possible we could see 2 NCAA, 3 NIT when all is said and done.

Comment

• WuDrWu
                              WuDrWu commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Injuries have turned SMU in a shell of their January selves? Is someone else hurt? Ray averaged less that 10 minutes a game (and didn't play against WSU) and while Foster is one of their best players, they sure didn't miss him against us a couple weeks ago when he played 5 minutes before going out for the season.

• Jamar Howard 4 President
                              Jamar Howard 4 President commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Was reported on Twitter that Shake Milton is out indefinitely with a hand injury. Houston plays SMU on 2/8 and 2/28.

Regarding Foster, I would emphasize the "one of their best players" aspect on a team that is low on scholarship players. Can SMU play well without him? Sure. Will they generally play worse overall? Also yes.

Current projections at bracket matrix show a 3, 7, and 11 (Houston). Houston is extremely lucky they haven’t yet played either game vs SMU. Injuries have turned SMU into a shell of their January selves. That said, Houston is still just barely in, and the AAC is far from a lock to receive 3 bids as SMU and Temple are both long shots to replace Houston as #3 if Houston stumbles.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

And even that would be a victory compared to what we had been used to before.

my personal opinion is that 2 bids are certain, 3 bids are possible and 4 bids are a longshot. But I can see a way it could happen. Basically if temple and Houston practically win out and so do we. But it would still be cutting it pretty close. Shockers need to take care of business and make sure we are not one of the long shots

Comment

• Jamar Howard 4 President
                                Jamar Howard 4 President commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Better than the MVC? Absolutely! They have 1 NIT team (Loyola) and that's it.
                            Working...
                            X