No announcement yet.

2017-18 Annual Redshirt Guess-a-thon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have players come and go for various reasons and it would break up the large freshman class but I still believe they will decide what is in the best interests of the young man will prevail.

Comment

Comment

Hmmm...
        Livin the dream

Comment

Not to mention if Rod becomes a freshman for 2018 as well, but if Landry leaves, that opens the possibility of ANOTHER freshman for 2018. Which would mean 7 freshman. Of course, any of our 2018 signees could redshirt as well, but dang.

Comment

With this large freshman class talk, everyone appears to be overlooking one of the guys coming in is from a juco.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
              Not to mention if Rod becomes a freshman for 2018 as well, but if Landry leaves, that opens the possibility of ANOTHER freshman for 2018. Which would mean 7 freshman. Of course, any of our 2018 signees could redshirt as well, but dang.
              I think the only one from the 2018 class that might redshirt is Stevenson. He's the only player not from a juco or that didn't go to prep school. Have we ever had a juco player redshirt?

All the prep players will have had a year to improve their game, knowing what Wichita State requires of them. A redshirt year for Stevenson will allow him to improve his defense, which is what he currently lacks.

Comment

• ShockerPhi
                ShockerPhi commented
                Editing a comment
                That's a good point. Forgot that 3 of the highschoolers are in Prep School.

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

I think the only one from the 2018 class that might redshirt is Stevenson. He's the only player not from a juco or that didn't go to prep school. Have we ever had a juco player redshirt?

All the prep players will have had a year to improve their game, knowing what Wichita State requires of them. A redshirt year for Stevenson will allow him to improve his defense, which is what he currently lacks.
              Gregg seems to think Erik will come right in and contribute based on his quotes in the article by Taylor Eldridge. Of course, much can change once everybody arrives on campus and begins the workouts and the staff has a chance to put them through their paces. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                That is probably the most logical and valid argument for not giving Brown the shirt.
                By the time the 2018 season rolls around, he will have thousands of hours logged in the gym against outstanding competition, and mind meld in the weight room with one the best in the business. The couple hundred minutes of game time a redshirt will cost him does not set him back to the same point a true freshman. A redshirt is the way to go.

Comment

I have no doubt that HCGM has the most information/expertise and will make the best decision for the program. But from out here in the uninformed cheap seats, I'm inclined to throw the kitchen sink at the AAC and a title run by redshirting no one and being as deep as possible. Two primary reasons:

1. In stark contrast to the Valley, there will be few if any AAC games where we immediately get up by 20-25 in the first half and cruise the rest of the game as the 2nd (or 3rd in some cases) string maintains or extends the lead while the starters rest and recharge.

2. While I think all of our guys are high character, 5th year seniors are highly desirable in the tournament, and more continuity in a program is generally better... I thought previously and the most recent recruiting class has confirmed that we'll be able to recruit at a higher talent level now that we're in the AAC. I hope Rod Brown turns into the 2nd coming of Cle/Jamar/whoever, but aren't we going to be able to recruit guys of his talent level (or better) every year now?

Maybe I'm missing something, but for the overall purposes and objective of program success and maximizing chances of (1) winning the most games, (2) winning the AAC, (3) maximizing seed, and (4) throwing our best punch at a natty with a number of seniors and a PG that might be a once every 20 years occurrence... I don't see a lot of reasons to redshirt anyone.

At the margin, does it potentially come at the expense of overall player development? Somewhere between maybe and probably depending on the player/situation. But I also think there's a case to be made for player development getting minutes as a freshman on a deep team where they can make mistakes in big conference games or deep in the tournament with a safety net, get yanked and coached up, and not have to experience those situations as upperclassmen for the first time when it might not be an option to sit them down.

For those of you with business/finance backgrounds or other experience with time value of money, I think what I'm getting at is that with a greater ability to recruit more talent there's a really high discount rate on future contributions created by the higher talent level we can recruit... i.e. we should get it while we can.

Just my opinion, as always I will leave it to the experts!

Comment

CJ would make sense

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

All the prep players will have had a year to improve their game, knowing what Wichita State requires of them.
                      Lomax is also a traditional HS student, playing his senior year this year at Memphis East.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                        CJ would make sense
                        The question with CJ is whether using 4 years of schollies to get 3 years of play is a good investment. Fans are not in a good position to make that judgement. All we have to go off of is our observations of CJ in game situations. We should only consider the latter part of his Fr year. He was hurt early in the year.

We have what we saw at Madness. It's obvious there is an issue affecting his ability to participate right now. The exhibitions and UMKC were CJ's best opportunities to get some "no pressure" floor time. That didn't happen. He may have blown up his best opportunity to work himself into the rotation.

If CJ is a candidate for a shirt, then he's showing more in practice than he's shown fans. A lot more.
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

CU took a prep year also. Not sure he's a shirt candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by Good News View Post
                            For those of you with business/finance backgrounds or other experience with time value of money, I think what I'm getting at is that with a greater ability to recruit more talent there's a really high discount rate on future contributions created by the higher talent level we can recruit... i.e. we should get it while we can.
                            This is a very interesting argument. I'd think it would be especially true if you start expecting some of your players to leave early.

Comment

Starting to believe no one RS this year. Have to spread next year’s large class out some.

CJ, is starting to also look to me like one of WSU’s annnual transfer candidates. So I suspect no RS from him, because he’s going to lose a year of eligibility either way and if the can right whatever wrong he has done maybe he can play a few minutes this year.
                              The Assman

Comment

Working...
                              X