2017-18 Annual Redshirt Guess-a-thon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017-18 Annual Redshirt Guess-a-thon

Who is most likely to get red-shirted for the 2017-18 season?
    Asbjørn Midtgaard, Freshman Center
    1.69%
    Austin Reaves, Sophomore Guard
    0%
    Brycen Bush, Freshman Guard
    1.69%
    C.J. Keyser, Sophomore Guard
    5.08%
    Jacob Herrs, Freshman Guard
    6.78%
    Rod Brown, Freshman Forward
    72.88%
    Some One Else (specify)
    0%
    No One
    11.86%

The poll is expired.

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
    Who is most likely to get red-shirted for the 2017-18 season?
    Rodgerick, but not that I want him to, just the most likely, IMHO. He reminds me of David Kyles, under control. Once he learns where he's supposed to be and how to help out on defense, he'll be a monster.
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Might as well take Austin off the list since he played in exhibition games...unless that rule has changed.
      78-65

Comment

Rod is the most likely only because I think redshirting was forefront in his mind when he arrived. Playing time, with this year's schedule, will be hard to come by. Then again, game minutes of any kind could benefit the team next year.
        Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

I think Rod is the most likely to redshirt, but I also think CJ might as well. I posted in another thread that maybe he's been sitting out these games because he's trying to decide if he wants to redshirt this year. Since only freshman can play in exhibitions and still redshirt, perhaps CJ sat out and his "personal issue" is deciding if he wants to wear the shirt this season.

Maybe Rod will play this season since we don't have McDuffie for a while and CJ takes the shirt instead.

Comment

• wusphlash
            wusphlash commented
            Editing a comment
            Good take on CJ. Could very well be the reason.

• Topshock
            Topshock commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't think that has anything to do with his personal issue.

• jdshock
            jdshock commented
            Editing a comment
            I think I say it at the start of every year, but I'm completely sold on the idea of redshirting sophomores instead of freshmen. If you play your freshmen, you figure out if they're going to be the type of guy who can turn into an important player or if they'd be better off going elsewhere. Then they can transfer and use their redshirt year during the transfer year instead of burning an additional year. If you see potential but they need the time, you can always redshirt them as a sophomore.

I think HCGM has bought into this a little bit since Rauno was all set to redshirt as a sophomore until injuries happened. I would not be surprised to see CJ redshirt.

I definitely think Rod should and will redshirt. FYI for those opposed to redshirting, assuming SHJ takes Daishon's minutes, if every scholarship player just plays roughly the same number of minutes as last year(I think the number by rotation players will increase due to more competitive games), that leaves 344 minutes available all season that EH, JRS, Barney, Bush and Kaelen played all of last year, 90+% of that in garbage time. Even if Rod/Miitgard exlusively took all those minutes(unlikely since we need 5 players in garbage time), that would give them 172 per player, just barely more than CJ and Eric played last year. Basically I don't think it's worth it to burn a year of eligibility(and education, which is the real point of all this right?) for maybe, maaaaaaaaaaaaaabe 20 minutes of competitive play throughout the season. Practice will be 1000x more important to the development of Rod and AM than a handful of minutes throughout the season.

Comment

Austin can't redshirt now, and not sure why we would redshirt a walk-on ...

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
              Austin can't redshirt now, and not sure why we would redshirt a walk-on ...
              Didn't Brett Barney redshirt?
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• ShockerPhi
                ShockerPhi commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, and Zach Bush also redshirted his freshman year as well.

• Stickboy46
                Stickboy46 commented
                Editing a comment
                Whelp .. guess I didn't pay attention there ...

CJ redshirting makes no sense to me. He was banged up last year and got off to a late start and didn't redshirt. This year, he's healthy but Markus, Landry and Austin have all been banged up, and those three all play spots at the two/three where he could most contribute. I also feel he has a lot to prove on the court and is a guy who could find himself on the wrong side of our next discussion on Marshall's ability to count to 13. Redshirting makes transferring less appealing for him.

Comment

Rod - hate to see his talent wasted on the bench this season
                CJ - just doesn't look ready for meaningful
                minutes vs the AAC

Comment

I voted Rod for all of the reasons stated above. What I found interesting, however, were comments Marshall has made about Mr. Brown that indicated he has told Rod that he is good enough to play this year. Having not had the opportunity to see him on the court these past two exhibition games, nor any of the practices, I really don't know just how much he can contribute to this year's edition of Shockers who are laden with serious upperclassman talent.

I suppose we'll find out Friday evening what the decision is. Unless, of course, he doesn't get any minutes, and then the speculation will begin. As I recall, Rauno didn't play the first couple of games his sophomore season, holding out hope of a redshirt, but injuries to Darius forced him into the lineup. I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar play out with Rod this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
                    I voted Rod for all of the reasons stated above. What I found interesting, however, were comments Marshall has made about Mr. Brown that indicated he has told Rod that he is good enough to play this year. Having not had the opportunity to see him on the court these past two exhibition games, nor any of the practices, I really don't know just how much he can contribute to this year's edition of Shockers who are laden with serious upperclassman talent.

I suppose we'll find out Friday evening what the decision is. Unless, of course, he doesn't get any minutes, and then the speculation will begin. As I recall, Rauno didn't play the first couple of games his sophomore season, holding out hope of a redshirt, but injuries to Darius forced him into the lineup. I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar play out with Rod this season.
                    IMO Rod has tremendous upside. Both games towards the end, he started to get more comforable and made some impressive drives and finishes. He appears to understand that rebounding is his top priority, but i think he could contribute this year. Especially with Markis out.

Comment

RBrown would have to take minutes away from Kelly to contribute much this year. I don't think that's likely to happen. By the time RBrown would be ready to contribute, as opposed to getting some game time to get into the flow of the WSU game, McDuffie will be back..

If RBrown is good enough to take some minutes away from either McDuffie or Kelly, then I'd like to see him on the court for the Shox for 4 years, 'cause we're going to need a lot next year that we don't need this year.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Redshirting Brown puts yet another body into next year's freshman class

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                          Redshirting Brown puts yet another body into next year's freshman class
                          That is probably the most logical and valid argument for not giving Brown the shirt.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                          X