Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is everyone's early imprssions of the Valley?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is everyone's early imprssions of the Valley?

We are now a few weeks in and I was wondering what everyone's take is on the Valley overall. Not hearing as much noise in the media this year as compared to last.

I think the Valley is a bit down, as most of us expected. I know that the Shox aren't hammering teams like some of the other schools are, but I think that the Shox have a chance to make some noise this year.
    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

With a lot of new coaches and many of the marquis players gone to graduation the general perception is the Valley is down from where it was the past few years.

Anecdotal evidence (so far) seems to be verifying that impression. I heard this morning on KGSO that the Valley so far is 0-5 against top 25 teams. Last year we went 6-5 through the non-con season. Overall winning percentage is down (maybe) by a few points, but not signifcantly for all games. And it sounds like Valley teams may be losing a few more home games than past years.

Still a lot of games to play though....
    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

That the Valley sucks this year, and fortunately happens in a year where we are rebuilding, which gives me hope we can win the Tourney to get a bid to the NCAA's.

Comment

CU and DU are doing their part, and they both have top 20 RPI's, (Kenpom.com). UNI has only one bad loss. SIU will be good. They lost to Indiana and Arkansas last season, and look how they finished. Shocks starting to come around maybe. MSU and BU seem / are down.....Big games tonight for the top three.

Almost forgot. Kenpom has the MVC at #5 in the RPI.
        "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

The Valley will be fine. We may not have the big name wins like we have the past few years, but the Valley still has good enough teams to go out and win games and still be in the mix.

The Valley is definitely wide open this year with a handful of teams having a shot at winning it. I'm not counting anybody out, except ISU and UE, until mid to late january. By then, we should have a good grasp on where everyone sits in comparison. I still say the Valley will get 3. But time will tell how that goes. We're definitely still a multi bid league. That won't stop.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Actually, I watched that Bradley/MSU game last night, and I definitely wouldn't say that Bradley sucks. I realize they lost, but they had the lead most of the game and seemed to have MSU on the ropes for a while

Comment

Drake is definitely impressing me...they had what I think will end up being a really good win against Duquesne.

Comment

About 5 teams could win the Valley.

Champion will have 4-5 losses.

While I include the Shocks in the 5 teams, it is not likely. If there is no hope, then what is there?

Comment

Drake clobbered Iowa St. tonight, 79-44. Also tonight, Duquesne only lost by 5 to Pitt.

I hereby nominate the Bulldogs as the surprise team this year.

Comment

I just read on mid majority website that WSU and missouri st. are picked as #8 seeds in the NIT, Creighton as #3 seed in NIT and SIU and Bradley as the at large bids for the NCAA.

Comment

The Valley is down compared to the last few years. But comparing to the last 10 years it is not even close to a down year. Through games of Dec. 1, The Valley has a combined 42-18 (.700) record in non-conference play. That ranks third-best in the last 25 years. The .700 pace is currently 13th best all-time in MVC history. Doesn't sound like a down year to me, so far. Plus what a surprise Drake has been. I say it's definitely an up year for Drake.

Comment

With all the changes in the MVC this year, I am actually relatively pleased with the non-conference results so far. While the league does not have any "big" wins, the teams are winning a respectable percentage overall. So far, this is the type of "down year" that I hoped the MVC would have. I prefer to think about the future. If the MVC can avoid a lot of turnover in its coaching ranks the next few years could be very special for the league.

Comment

Valley is "down" in terms of not picking up the marquee wins yet. But I am pleasently surprised by the winning %. Overall the Valley really hasn't lost too many that we shouldn't lose, and to me that is a surprise. And really (other than SIU) we are hanging pretty well with the "big boys" which tells me just how scary good this conference is going to be within the next year or two.
                          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

During this "transition" season I'd be very please to receive an NIT bid but I still think a ticket to the Dance is possible. As Loyd said "...so you're tellin' me there's a chance!" :good:

Go Shocks!!!!
                            “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

I'd say the Valley is very solid.

Comment

Working...
                              X