Gold Wins 12-4; Take 3-2 Series Lead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold Wins 12-4; Take 3-2 Series Lead

A nice crisp fall evening. Not sure I can say the same about the baseball.
    17 free passes (14 walks and 3 HBP) between the two teams and a lot of long counts.

Tyson Fugett started for the Black and struggled mightily. Tyson lasted 5 batters and no outs into the 3rd inning. He only gave up 3 hits to the 15 batters he faced, but he walked 5, hit a batter and gave up 6 "earned" runs while throwing 67 pitches and only recording 6 outs.

Remington Johnson relieved Fugett and, while he was around the plate more than Fugett the Gold squad hit him pretty hard in his 3 innings.

Mitch Caster finished the final 4 innings for the Black and actually did a pretty decent job, although he did give up 5 hits, but he didn't give up any free passes and only gave up one run.

Clint Maune pitched the first 5 innings for the Gold giving up 5 hits and only 1 run. He did walk 3 and he hit a batter and his pitch count of 92 in 5 innings (including an 8 pitch 4th) wasn't exactly real efficient. Does look like he has a good arm though.

Collin Coffman pitched the 6th, 7th and 8th innings after the Gold built a 12-1 lead. He gave up 4 hits and 3 runs. He walked 4 and hit a batter while throwing 62 pitches. Again not a real crisp performance.

Clinton McKeever pitched the 9th and looked good, getting 3 outs on 5 pitches. Clinton was crisp - an aberration on this night.

Offensive Highlights for the Gold:

Kyle Sisney went 3-4 for the Gold and had a Sacrifice Fly. He hammered a double off the left field wall over Andy Dirks head from the right side in the first. In the 7th he fouled a ball off of his ankle and was really hobbling, but he stayed in the game and singled to right from the left side.
    Kyle looks like he is prepared to push Josh Workman for the 2B job.

Conor Gillaspie was 1-3 plus a Sac Fly and he had a couple of loud outs.

Tyler Weber provided one of the highlights of the night in the 1st innings. He walked with 2 outs, then used his blazing speed to steal second from where he scored on Clint McKeever's single through the hole into left field.

Clinton McKeever was 3-3 including two sizzling line drives. I like what I am seeing from Big Clint.

Dusty Coleman was 3-5. He hit a high fly ball to shallow left in the 2nd, but it was one of those balls that he just barely missed. In the 8th he grounded sharply right at the 3rd baseman. In between he hit 3 absolute rockets, all doubles. Two into the left field corner and one to straight away center that Kenny Williams could not get to (and Kenny can cover some ground).

Roberto Rios the #9 batter in the order for the Gold walked his 1st three at bats then followed that with 2 singles.

Comment

Offensive Highlights For the Black:

Bret Bascue was 2-5. In the 8th Bret hit a shot up the middle on a pitch in which Josh was attempting to steal second and the ball hit Josh in the foot.

Kenny Williams was only 1-4 but one of his outs, on the back end of a 6-4-3 double play, was a rifle shot right at the shortstop. That ball and Kenny's only hit came from the left side of the plate. Kenny looked very good in the field making 2 or 3 very nice plays. He covers a lot of ground and has a very good arm. The only question with Kenny is will he be able to hit consistently. Definitely a very good athlete.

Grant Muncrief was 2-3. If he can hit consistently he will be a player and a good replacement for Conor. He has a gun at 3rd base. I have not seen him pitch yet.

Comment

Excellent write-up 1972Shocker. Much appreciated.

As well as Kyle Sisney has played, how do you keep him out of the lineup? Given that Josh will be in the lineup, this becomes an interesting dilemma for Gene. Josh REALLY wants to play a position, but if Kyle proves to be the better player defensively, and continues to hit... ?

I am very pleased to hear that Dusty is swinging the bat well. A good offensive year from Dusty would be huge.

I believe Clint will just get better and better. He has the tools to be a great ballplayer. He has tremendous upside. IMO.

We are going to have tremendous outfield depth this year: Dirks, Jones, Hill, Williams, Bascue, Hall, Caster. Hall and Caster are going to be good, but how do you not redshirt those two this spring? There are FIVE good players in front of them! And this isn't even counting Cody Lassley, who can play an outfield position and carries a bat we would like to get into the lineup.

Comment

Our depth chart is looking good. At every position we have a capable backup. I'm least comfortable at shortstop. At this point is Harrison Dreiling or Taylor Brown the #2 at that position? Has Kyle Sisney spent any time at short? Or Josh?

Comment

Originally posted by haysdb
            Excellent write-up 1972Shocker. Much appreciated.

As well as Kyle Sisney has played, how do you keep him out of the lineup? Given that Josh will be in the lineup, this becomes an interesting dilemma for Gene. Josh REALLY wants to play a position, but if Kyle proves to be the better player defensively, and continues to hit... ?

I am very pleased to hear that Dusty is swinging the bat well. A good offensive year from Dusty would be huge.

I believe Clint will just get better and better. He has the tools to be a great ballplayer. He has tremendous upside. IMO.

We are going to have tremendous outfield depth this year: Dirks, Jones, Hill, Williams, Bascue, Hall, Caster. Hall and Caster are going to be good, but how do you not redshirt those two this spring? There are FIVE good players in front of them! And this isn't even counting Cody Lassley, who can play an outfield position and carries a bat we would like to get into the lineup.
            One option that may make the most sense is giving josh a shot at the outfield. Im not sure his arm is strong enough but he clearly has the speed and it may be the best shot at utilizing his attributes and getting him a fielding position. I doubt he would struggle as much out there as he would and does right now at 2nd. Lots of depth at the of positions though may remove this as an option to the coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by haysdb
              Our depth chart is looking good. At every position we have a capable backup. I'm least comfortable at shortstop. At this point is Harrison Dreiling or Taylor Brown the #2 at that position? Has Kyle Sisney spent any time at short? Or Josh?
              I beleive Dreiling is well ahaed of Brown and Brown will be a red shirt.

Comment

Here are some stats for Josh Workman and Kyle Sisney for the first 5 games of the series:

Josh: 3-13 for a 0.231 BA. However, Josh has drawn 8 walks, including 4 in Game 5. His on base average is a very solid 0.524. He as 4 SB's, 4R and 2 RBI and has made 2 errors.l

Kyle: 6-22 for a 0.273 BA. However, Kyle has only drawn 1 walk so his OBA is only 0.304. He as 1 SB, 6R and 3 RBI and has made 1 error.

Niether is consistently knocking the cover off the ball. At this point I think Josh still has the edge based on a much superior OBA and 4 steals. That said I really like what I'ver seen of Kyle Sisney so far.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                  Here are some stats for Josh Workman and Kyle Sisney for the first 5 games of the series:

Josh: 3-13 for a 0.231 BA. However, Josh has drawn 8 walks, including 4 in Game 5. His on base average is a very solid 0.524. He as 4 SB's, 4R and 2 RBI and has made 2 errors.l

Kyle: 6-22 for a 0.273 BA. However, Kyle has only drawn 1 walk so his OBA is only 0.304. He as 1 SB, 6R and 3 RBI and has made 1 error.

Niether is consistently knocking the cover off the ball. At this point I think Josh still has the edge based on a much superior OBA and 4 steals. That said I really like what I'ver seen of Kyle Sisney so far.
                  Have you been out to see the games? I have and the stats dont tell the story. Josh really has the upper hand at the plate. Sisney really has the upper hand on the field. Sisney has been scrappy at the plate but he hasnt shown the discipline that josh has. In the same token Sisney has shown hes clearly the better fielder and josh seems lost at times. I dont think you can count on the stats in a series like this. It really is something you need to see if you ask me. Josh is showing improvement at 2nd but at the same point sisney keeps showing more and more at the plate. This series is all about evaluating what you have and the coaches arent looking at stats in particular. They are watching asn seeing how these guys handle themselves in at bats and on the field. how are you battling at the plate. Can you get down 0-2 and fight back to a full count? Can you make the routine plays at your position? Can you make brilliant plays and botch a routine play? etc... these are the things the coaches are watching and paying attention to.

Comment

Working...
                  X