SKETCHY NOTES FROM PRACTICE 9/29/07

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SKETCHY NOTES FROM PRACTICE 9/29/07

A few observations from the scrimmage on Saturday 9/29/07 and other random comments. My focus during fall ball is to match names and faces of the incoming freshmen and transfers. Thus most of my comments will be directed toward those particular players. In addition, I do not possess the analytical skills of dbhays. So for what its worth here goes.

Don't look for next springs projected starting rotation to see action in the fall world series. Based upon the response to my inquiry Shafer, Musgrave, and Capra are not scheduled to pitch. Neither are Womack, Nanney, or Hutson-medical redshirt. Andy Dirks appeared to be suffering from some throwing arm issue. More than once he fielded a ball and tossed it to another player in the vacinity for the relay throw. Not sure what the deal is with Andy. Bret Bascue is still rehabing. Conor did not play last Saturday. Don't read anything into that except resting. Look for plenty of action by the incoming freshmen and transfers in the fall world series. Pitchers may be on a pitch count or on a pre-determined split if the fall world series is conducted in a similar manner to the scrimmages I have observed.

IIRC, the visitors won the seven inning scrimmage 13-11. Pitching for the home team were Tyson Fugett, Collin Coffman, Tyler Fleming, and Mitch Caster. Pitching for the visitors were Grant Muncrief, Remington Johnson, and Justin Kemp. Fugett, Fleming, and Muncrief pitched well. The game got ugly at the end with 9 runs scored by the visitors in the top of the seventh inning against Mitch Caster. OUCH! Kevin Hall, Grant Muncrief, and Ryan Jones hit home runs. Kenny Williams was hitting in the 9 hole and had a walk, single, and 2 K's in four plate appearances. Cody Lassley continues to impress me with his improvement. IMO, he needs to play somewhere next spring.

I have not observed Clint Maune play in the three scrimmages I have attended although he is listed as a member of the Gold squad for the fall world series. I will inquire as to his status tonight. Perhaps he has played during the week when I am unable to observe practice. Also, Tim Kelley (RS-Freshman) is in the same category.

I hope many will be able to make the games starting tonight. It should be fun! GO SHOX!

WSUBB00
Working...
X