FieldTurf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FieldTurf

Will we replace just the infield turf, or go 100% artificial? I'm guessing only the infield.

I hope we keep dirt pit areas around the bases rather than the dirt-colored turf like K-State.

Is the FieldTurf used for baseball fields exactly the same as is used on Football fields? I would assume so, but I'm wondering because it seems like it was all football fields until about a year ago. Maybe that's just baseball being slower to change because it's more deeply tied to its traditions than other sports.

Tampa Bay had field turf for the Rays field. I think they've had it for 4 or 5 years now.

And I actually think that the outfield needs to be replaced too. It would make for a quick recovery from rain and let games get going faster.

Comment

Creighton Blue-Jays field

I did not know that Creighton had replaced their infield turf with FieldTurf.

Comment

There are 261 baseball installations listed on the FieldTurf website.

The Lake Shawnee Baseball Complex in Topeka is installing FieldTurf.

Jaycee Park in Pittsburgh Kansas and Washburn University in Topeka are FieldTurf.

D1 college installations:
        • Oregon State
        • Washington
        • Washington State
        • Texas Tech
        • Louisville
        • Kansas State
        • Kent State
        • University of Illinois
        • Cincinnati
        • Columbia
        • Naval Academy
        I get the impression from my reading that there is no need for a tarp with FieldTurf. One comment was the field was playable 15 minutes after it stops raining. Might be an exaggeration, I can't say.

Most installations do not have dirt pit areas around the bases, but only the pitcher's mound and home plate. Some don't even have dirt around home plate. I saw at least one that was 100% FieldTurf, even the pitchers mound.

Comment

K-State's field is pretty typical for the middle latitudes. FieldTurf infield, natural grass outfield, dirt pit areas for the pitcher's mound and home plate. I definitely prefer the dirt-colored turf in areas that would typically be dirt, including the baselines. It just looks better than fields that are solid green, like the two major league stadiums.

Comment

This is a bit over the top IMO.

Comment

Where is that field? (link?)
              Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
              Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

There is something seriously strange about this picture.

Comment

"Floating field" in New York.

Comment

Redding California

Comment

No cheap fly ball home runs down the lines in this park.

Comment

Re: FieldTurf

Originally posted by haysdb
                        Will we replace just the infield turf, or go 100% artificial? I'm guessing only the infield.

I hope we keep dirt pit areas around the bases rather than the dirt-colored turf like K-State.
                        According to the fund-raising brochure we will replace the infield and all areas behind home plate, in front of the dugouts and the outfield warning track.

Hopefully, we will be able to raise the funds to do most of the desired improvements especially the indoor practice facility although it has been slow going so far.

I think it goes without saying that regardless what happens with the indoor practice facility we have no choice but to replace our current turf.

Not sure what the plan is for the dirt pit areas around the bases is. One down side of dirt pits is the potential for bad hops with balls hitting the seams where field turf stops and dirt starts. I suppose other issues are maintenance of the dirt pit areas and ability to play through light rain may be enhanced with full field turf coverage.

It would be interesting to hear what the players think of the full field turf infield at KSU.

Comment

Yokohama Japan. Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by haysdb
                            There is something seriously strange about this picture.

Looks like a great place to play wiffle ball year round.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                              Where is that field? (link?)
                              The one with the stripes? Western Nevada Community College, Carson City, Nevada.

All of the pictures can be found here

Comment

Working...
                              X