Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenny Williams Jr

Stud. Discuss.

Wish we had him against Irvine last Super. He's an older player, think this will be his last year with us? I'd love to seem him back for his senior season.

Comment

He has another year of eligibility, right?

I'm guessing he might be inclined to comeback for another. He made so much progress in the last 12 months, he could potentially really help his draft status with another 12.

Anyone know his 60?

Comment

A good hitter. I got some issues with his base running. Hes not as fast as I first thought and has make some questionable decisions on the bases but some of that could have been the coaches sending him on bad throws and such. Ive been a little disappointed with him in left as of late. he has misplayed a few that he shouldnt have. That said I think the bad base running and fielding of the last week or so is just something that may have been in his head and will pass. Loads of talent though and I like how he works and approaches his at bats. Id love it if he can sustain the average hes carrying right now for the year.

Comment

I'm just going to throw this out because I'm comfortable enough in myself: The kid sounds whiter then I do.

Ok, all kidding aside, he is the best 9 hole hitter I've seen in awhile. He would be a lead off guy in almost any other year and on any other team.

I am suffering a case of cognitive dissidence in that I see him as a 9 hole hitter and keep thinking he is going to show me why he is a 9 hole guy, but he keeps getting good hits and good swings.

My only complaints: He is sometimes too aggressive at the plate but you can tell he is getting better. Every so often you see this sneak back in now, but it isn't every AB like it had been when he started out. Second, he still doesn't have a good read on the ball in left BUT that is because he is used to playing center field. He has the speed to make up for it a bit, and he will get better. So my two complaints aren't much of complaints really.

Can't wait to see him improve, because you can just tell he has room to grow!

Comment

He is infinitely better at the plate than I expected. I am continually amazed at how few bad ABs he's had. The kid is a legitimately good hitter.

I'm even getting really close to moving him to #2 in the order to provide more protection for CG. The way Ryan Jones is hitting the ball, I feel better about him having consistently competitive ABs than Coleman.

As for defense, I don't care that much. A great LF is not worth much more than an average one over the course of 75 games...and I'm not convinced he's average yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood
              I'm just going to throw this out because I'm comfortable enough in myself: The kid sounds whiter then I do.
              i was thinking the same thing after hearing him on the radio yesterday
              Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
                He's an older player, think this will be his last year with us?
                I haven't personally checked on this, but a WSU player told me last week that Kenny got drafted last summer, even though he had red-shirted. If this is true, with the year he's having, I can't imagine he wouldn't get drafted again (and most likely higher than before).
                www.myspace.com/clarensau
                it's what i do

Comment

Just getting drafted doesn't mean much.

Who was the WSU player just a year or two ago that got drafted, yet barely played? Was it Morales?

There are what, 40-some rounds in the draft? Most players drafted beyond the 10th round or so are just organizational filler. They're not likely to ever ascend beyond A-ball.

Comment

I saw Kenny when he played for the Newton Rebels many times the summer he transferred here. His awesomeness this year in no way surprises me after seeing what he could do on the field that summer. He could absolutely rake, had great instincts, had a cannon arm and covered tons of ground in RF for them. He was drafted last year by his dad's team, however, so he could go pro after this season but if he comes back I could easily see him leading off for us next year.
                    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
                    -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by Clarensauce
                      Originally posted by KC Shox
                      He's an older player, think this will be his last year with us?
                      I haven't personally checked on this, but a WSU player told me last week that Kenny got drafted last summer, even though he had red-shirted. If this is true, with the year he's having, I can't imagine he wouldn't get drafted again (and most likely higher than before).
                      He was drafted in the 36th round of the 2004 MLB draft by the Chicago White Sox, the team his dad is the GM for. He was also drafted in the 32nd round by the Rockies in 2007. Don't read much into it. Later MLB draft picks are usually just picks of friends of the club. Listen to the draft on the radio sometime, you'll hear them say; "With the 1,220th pick, the White Sox draft Kenny Williams Jr. The White Sox would also like to add that he is the son of White Sox GM Kenny Williams." - not his pick, but that's just an example.

Kenny even has a baseball-reference page: http://www.baseball-reference.com/bu...ny_Williams_Jr.
                      "You can observe a lot just by watching."
                      -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock

Who was the WSU player just a year or two ago that got drafted, yet barely played? Was it Morales?

There are what, 40-some rounds in the draft? Most players drafted beyond the 10th round or so are just organizational filler. They're not likely to ever ascend beyond A-ball.
                        What about Tymber Lee?

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
                          Originally posted by RoyalShock

What about Tymber Lee?

Lee played quite a bit. He was a quality arm coming out of the pen.

Comment

Ronnie Morales is who I was thinking of.

Comment

Kenny is an articulate young man.

Comment

Working...
                              X