Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shocker Host Illinois State (3 Game Series)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker Host Illinois State (3 Game Series)

The Shockers (18-22, 3-6) will try to get well against last place Illinois State (11-28, 1-8) this weekend. The schedule has changed due to the forecast of inclement weather.

The teams are now schedule to play a DH on Friday starting at 2:00 pm and a single game on Saturday starting at 2:00 pm.

Good move since the high on Friday is 71 with tolerable wids with no rain forecasted until about 10:00 pm. Saturday's forecasted high is 50 with rain and 20+ mph winds. Sunday looks about the same.

Maybe the should start Friday at 10:00 am and play a triple-header. Doubt it would greatly impact the quality of play from these two teams.

This weekend is also Legends Weekend. Unfortunate that this is happening in this environment. A weekday DH, two crappy teams and crappy weather.

WICHITA, Kan. – Due to the threat of rain and inclement weather this weekend, the baseball series between Wichita State and Illinois State has been changed.

This should be an easy sweep right? I know we aren't very consistent but the one thing we have been good at this year is beating terrible teams. Illinois State definitely fits the definition of terrible this year. They are the worst RPI team we will play this season and are in the bottom 10% of all D1 teams.

Illinois State does have the same record as we do at Bradley (1-2, losing 3-13, 6-8, and winning the Saturday game 9-4). We lost the first 2 games (5-6, 10-11) and won the Sunday game 8-5. Illinois State also lost to Valparaiso 3-4, a team we swept in 3, one run games, 4-3, 3-2, and 4-3.

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
      This should be an easy sweep right?
      I assume the question is rhetorical since you pretty much provided the answer in the remainder of you post. The term "an easy sweep" should not be in the lexicon of Shocker fans this year.

Unfortunately, we may well lose a game to weather when we finally get a team we might be able to handle.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        The term "an easy sweep" should not be in the lexicon of Shocker fans this year.
        I think Louisiana Tech, LSU, Texas Tech, and MSU might disagree with you... :) I know you said Shocker fans, I just couldn't resist.

Comment

I think Louisiana Tech, LSU, Texas Tech, and MSU might disagree with you... :) I know you said Shocker fans, I just couldn't resist.
          Yes, perspective does impact the use of the term.

Comment

Legends expected to attend inlcude Kevin Hooper, Braden Looper, P.J. Forbes, Jaime Bluma, Chris Wimmer, Charlie O'Brien, Russ Morman, Bryan Oelkers, Mike Drumright and Nate Robertson.

I kind of like the Legends Celebration idea but perhaps it could have been deferred to a time when the program is in a better place. Having a Legends Celebration at a time when the architect of the Legend and Wichita State seemingly still have irreconcilable differences and not that far removed from his tenure seems more than a bit uncomfortable. How many former Shockers stayed away simply because of that.

The above group of players are certainly worthy attendees no doubt but the current situation makes this event seemed a bit contrived and perhaps not as sincere as it otherwise might. Now, on top of that, we have mother nature throwing a wrench into the works which I fear will dampen the turn out for this "promotion" even more.

I hope ADDB assembles this group of guys in room and askes them their true feeling on what has happened to Wichita State Baseball and what they believe is needed to begin to repair the damage. That in and of itstelf might make the event worthwhile.

We can do the Legends Celebration in the future when the time is right and perhaps make it something really special.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 27, 2017, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              Legends expected to attend inlcude Kevin Hooper, Braden Looper, P.J. Forbes, Jaime Bluma, Chris Wimmer, Charlie O'Brien, Russ Morman, Bryan Oelkers, Mike Drumright and Nate Robertson.
              Great. Put those 10 guys and ADDB in a room. They can come out when they have agreed on which 3 will comprise the new coaching staff, and have agreed in principle on contracts with ADDB.

Comment

Sully's lead in to his article on the Legends Celebration:

Wichita State will try to stay out of the Missouri Valley Conference baseball cellar as it remembers its greatest triumphs.
                Now that is kind of depressing.

Comment

Wasn't Bluma the one with the pet frog on a leash?

Comment

Looking over this group of players I noticed that 4 of these guys probably don't evern qualify to share the field with our current players. Kevin Hooper at 5-9, 155, P.J. Forbes at 5-10, 160, Jaime Bluma 5-11, 195, and Chris Wimmer 5-11, 175 may not be allowed into the stadium.

Comment

Maybe Charlie O should have a one-on-one session with each of our current players.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                        Wasn't Bluma the one with the pet frog on a leash?
                        i was told he stapled the frog to his hat.

Comment

The weather looks a little suspect so far. My weather app says there is zero chance of rain until 8pm but it also said it was supposed to be 58 degrees at 9am and it is only 50 at 9:30...

Comment

After 1 inning the score is 0-1 Illinois State. They scored after a one-out triple and a ground out. We were not able to advance a one-out double by Jenista and he was stranded at second after two ground outs.

Comment

The weather looks a little suspect so far. My weather app says there is zero chance of rain until 8pm but it also said it was supposed to be 58 degrees at 9am and it is only 50 at 9:30...
                              As I said before should have played 3 today. Ernie Banks would have loved it.

I'm sure NCAA rules no doubt prohibit such a thing though.

Comment

Working...
                              X