2/27 Coach's Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2/27 Coach's Show

For you guys that missed it, Butler addressed a couple things discussed here recently.

1. Briefly mentioned Segal. "Hopefully we'll see him in a few weeks." He didn't go into any detail and sounded positive, and still sounded like it was a matter of when and not if he pitches so hopefully this won't follow the usual progression of "tightness" to "out for a couple weeks" to "season ending surgery."

2. Elaborating on his lineup a bit, he is worried he might get into the same situation with Bohm that he did with Gillapsie where teams are scared enough of him that they'd rather walk him then pitch to him with a man on second and first base open, thus giving base stealers more opportunities to run if they're hitting further down the order.

3. Didn't know yet who was starting on the mound Wednesday, but Croft will be catching him. I think he said he wanted Goodwin to DH. And he wants to get Kilgore some work on the mound.

Originally posted by THam View Post
    For you guys that missed it, Butler addressed a couple things discussed here recently.

2. Elaborating on his lineup a bit, he is worried he might get into the same situation with Bohm that he did with Gillapsie where teams are scared enough of him that they'd rather walk him then pitch to him with a man on second and first base open, thus giving base stealers more opportunities to run if they're hitting further down the order.
    Gawd, what a weak answer. Let them walk him so the guys hitting behind him make them pay (i.e. Jenista) They aren't going to put runners on to duck a power guy so they can pitch or a SLG% or BA guy. Never heard of not putting your best OBP and base stealers at the top of the order. Coach: show some confidence in other guys.

This is one of Butler's weakest attributes, IMO. He doesn't seem believe in his TEAM, rather just a few guys.
    Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post
      Gawd, what a weak answer. Let them walk him so the guys hitting behind him make them pay (i.e. Jenista) They aren't going to put runners on to duck a power guy so they can pitch or a SLG% or BA guy. Never heard of not putting your best OBP and base stealers at the top of the order. Coach: show some confidence in other guys.

This is one of Butler's weakest attributes, IMO. He doesn't seem believe in his TEAM, rather just a few guys.
      I agree. And we seem to be running so frequently anyway...

Comment

Hey! We successfully steal a base every 3 games or so...

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
          Hey! We successfully steal a base every 3 games or so...
          Totally justifies a ridiculous lineup.

Comment

Perhaps what he is saying is he doesn't have anyone that he can bat behind Bohm that will provided him with adequate protection from teams pitching around him. So if I can keep the bases empty as much as possilbe in front of Alec they will more likely be willing to pitch to him.

If Alec gets hot they are going to pitch around him wherever he is in the lineup if we don't have anyone decent coming up behind him.

Bat Jenista behind Alec if you have to then and protect Jenista, who probably has the best eye on the team, the best you can.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 28, 2017, 05:15 PM.

Comment

I agree with you guys that Butler should value OBP and speed more than he does at the top of the lineup. So much so that I wish he would have started the season hitting the two returning starters with the highest 2016 OBP at the top of the order. Who would those two guys be? Oh, Jenista and Dugas. And one of them is one of the two fastest guys on the team and the other has above average speed? Geez, Butler and his crazy ideas.

In all seriousness, I'd like to see Young get a chance at the top of the order, especially while we wait on Dugas and Ritter to heat up. But I don't think the current lineup is ridiculous, or that picking a lineup and giving it a chance for 6 whole games means Butler doesn't "believe in his TEAM". Over the last 3 years, he's shown himself more than willing to move guys in and out and around in the lineup as the season progresses and guys step up, step back, slump, and get hot.

Comment

Butler's Lineup

Tham, I agree with you. A lineup usually gradually evolves during the season. I also like the idea of putting Travis Young a the top of the batting order. I'd like to see Greyson Jenista in the #3 spot eventually with Bohm at the 4 spot. Whoever bats 5th needs to be a threat.

Comment

based on stats so far, my lineup would be (with the metric driving that spot)

1. Young (OBP 0.455)
                  2. Debacker (OBP 0.400)
                  3. Jenista (0.385/0.407/0.577) - best all around hitter
                  4. Bohn (slg 0.696) - best slugger
                  5. Boyer (OBP 0.375/SLG 0.385) - look to have ability to protect Bohn
                  6. Vickers (OBP 0.348/SLG 0.400)
                  7. Troutwine (OBP 0.364/SLG 0.333)
                  8. Ritter (OBP 0.261)
                  9. Dugas (OBP 0.269)

Comment

Dugas just strikes out WAY too much to be in the 2-hole.

Jenista seems like a very clear 3-hole.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                      based on stats so far, my lineup would be (with the metric driving that spot)

1. Young (OBP 0.455)
                      2. Debacker (OBP 0.400)
                      3. Jenista (0.385/0.407/0.577) - best all around hitter
                      4. Bohn (slg 0.696) - best slugger
                      5. Boyer (OBP 0.375/SLG 0.385) - look to have ability to protect Bohn
                      6. Vickers (OBP 0.348/SLG 0.400)
                      7. Troutwine (OBP 0.364/SLG 0.333)
                      8. Ritter (OBP 0.261)
                      9. Dugas (OBP 0.269)
                      Looks like a reasonable lineup to me. I might consider swapping Vickers and Debacker. In evaluating that 2 hole hitter you might want to take some other factors into consideration. Such has who is the better bunter, who handles the bat better and can hit behind the runner or hit and run on occassion, who strikes out the least, who is the less likely double-play candidate and who can give you the most productive outs.

If you did that then you could evaluate who you want behind Bohm, Boyer or Debacker. Protecting Bohm seems to be the biggest challenge with building this lineup. I think any of Boyer, Debacker, Troutwine, Ritter or Dugas could potentially fill that role. Who knows that my change from time-to-time depending on who has the hot bat and is seeing the ball the best.

IIRC correctly Dayton got off to a pretty slow start last year before coming on. Debacker and Boyer are pretty inexperienced (only 76 total AB's between them last year) so they both should get better the more games they play.

If we are going to stick with the Power Guys at the top of the lineup then I hope we get more aggressive with the bottom 4 guys in terms if bunting, stealing and using the hit and run more. After all one of the reasons for using this lineup per HCTB is that he will not be aggressive on the bases when his power guys are hitting and putting his small ball guys at the bottom of the lineup allows him to be more aggressive on the bases with them. That is fine. But just don't say it, do it. In 7 games with have 2 steals in 4 attempts and 3 of those attempt are by 1B Josh Debacker. Josh may be our best base runner. It is hard to know at this point. Personally, I enjoy a good small ball game. Whether or not we have the tools and the talent to be good at that with part of the lineup is hard to say.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 1, 2017, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                        Dugas just strikes out WAY too much to be in the 2-hole.

Jenista seems like a very clear 3-hole.
                        But Dugas has a major league body.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                          But Dugas has a major league body.
                          It's possible he could end up being a great 2-hole hitter. He showed flashes at the end of last season. But even those were inconsistent. I just don't know how you look at a guy that strikes out like 40% of the time and think "yeah, 2-hole, that's the ticket!"

Comment

Originally posted by THam View Post
                            3. Didn't know yet who was starting on the mound Wednesday, but Croft will be catching him.
                            Good move to give Croft a start IMHO. Unless Noah proves he is in totally over his head I would like to see him get at least 1 start per week. If he proves he can hit a bit at this level perhaps some time at the DH as well. I thought he looked he looked decent behind the plate in the 4 innings he caught in the blowout win over UVU and he singled to the opposite field on an 0-2 count in his only at bat. Of course, the Coaches seem him every day so they probably know his capabilities.

Comment

Working...
                            X