Transfer Outs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xazshox View Post
    Ok 72, I audited my spreadsheet and agree there are 22 pitchers. Somewhere along the line, several frosh pitchers have been cut. The roster is indeed currently at 38 players, so 3 must be cut before the 1st game on Fri, Feb 17th.
    On his interview yesterday afternoon on The Drive with Bob and Jeff Lutz HCTB made a comment about a 35 man roster consisting of 15 position players and 20 pitchers. From the context I am not sure he was stating that as an actual number for this year or as an approximation of a typical roster.

Comment

so when these players get "cut" are they free to go to another school and play or are they just waiting for WSU next year?

Comment

Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post
        so when these players get "cut" are they free to go to another school and play or are they just waiting for WSU next year?
        If a player is transferring to a Division 1 school (in baseball, men's and women's basketball, FBS Football or Men's Ice Hockey) he may be eligible to compete immediately if he was not recurited by the original school and has never received an athletic scholarship. Otherwise, he will have to sit our a tranfer year.

So unrecruited walk-ons, if cut, are free to move on and play somewhere else. Otherwise, if they don't want to sit out they would need to go the D-II or Juco route.

As a practical matter those who are cut this late really could not play this spring anyway as I am not sure they could enroll anywhere else this late in the semester and most final D-I rosters are all but set at this point. They could be immediately eligible the following year if they meet the above exception.

Many will go the Juco route for a year like Jeb Bargfeldt and Michael Burns have done and then transfer back to D-1.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 14, 2017, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by THam View Post
          With roster turnover much heavier than it was under Gene, maybe we need a thread to keep track of the guys who've transferred out of the program. After hitting below the Mendoza Line for WSU in 2015 as a redshirt freshman, and having his 2016 year in JUCO cut short due to cancer, Michael Burns is competing for a starting spot this year with the Miami Hurricanes. He joins Jeb Bargfeldt there as products of this new WSU to Cisco to Miami pipeline.

https://d1baseball.com/columns/miami...eyes-breakout/
          I am glad to see Michael Burns doing well. I always enjoyed watching him play when he was here. He had a lot of speed and he played very hard.

Comment

Thought it was time to resurrect this thread. We lose 4 pitchers to graduation and have 12 draft eligible underclassmen. Realistically our only draft concern is Trey Vickers, but I guess a few pitchers could be taken in late rounds (Chandler Sanburn, Ben Hecht, Cody Tyler, Tyler Jones)??? I doubt we lose more than 1 player to the MLB draft and maybe none.

We have 13 signed for next year so there will likely be 7-9 transfers. Also, does anyone else remember HCTB saying he was worried Alec Bohm wasn't going to return to WSU for this season? I wonder if that is still a possibility? I have no idea what the concern was, just remember being surprised by the statement.

Comment

Codi Heuer is among those listed eligible for the draft due to his age. 21 before June 12

Comment

The Shocker Fact Book shows Codi's birthday as July 3rd. Here is the list I had. If I missed anyone please add them:

Travis Young - SO (RS)
                Jordan Boyer - SO (RS)
                Josh Debacker - SO (RS)
                Ben Hecht - JR (RS)
                Cody Tyler - JR (RS)
                Gunnar Troutwine - JR
                Trey Vickers - JR
                Tyler Jones - JR
                Chandler Sanburn - JR
                Sam Goodwin - JR
                Bryant Klusener - JR
                Alex Foge't - JR

Comment

Duplicate post.
                  Last edited by shockfan89_; June 6, 2017, 02:07 PM.

Comment

According to this website a college player who is 21 or will turn 21 within 45 days of the draft is elligible. That would put the cutoff date for turning 21 at around July 27th. If that is accurate then Codi Heuer would be draft eligible.

Also IIRC correctly I think I heard Mike and/or Shane comment that he would be draft eligible during one of the broadcast.

Comment

We had 10 Freshmen on the roster this year, 3 position players and 7 pitchers. 2 of the 3 position players saw playing time (Alex Jackson and Jacob Katzfey) but only 2 of the 7 pitchers threw in a game (Tommy Barnhouse and Preston Snavely). I assume the other 6 Freshmen red-shirted.

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
                        We had 10 Freshmen on the roster this year, 3 position players and 7 pitchers. 2 of the 3 position players saw playing time (Alex Jackson and Jacob Katzfey) but only 2 of the 7 pitchers threw in a game (Tommy Barnhouse and Preston Snavely). I assume the other 6 Freshmen red-shirted.
                        Imagine how good we could've been if Butler hadn't redshirted all the talent!

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
                          Also, does anyone else remember HCTB saying he was worried Alec Bohm wasn't going to return to WSU for this season? I wonder if that is still a possibility? I have no idea what the concern was, just remember being surprised by the statement.
                          Yes, I do recall that HCTB did make that comment.

Comment

Based on the 2018 Roster currently up on goShockers.com (which does not include the incoming recruiting class we have 9 players from last year's roster who will not be back. That includes the 4 seniors from last year's team (Schwanke, Lewis, Beichler and Holifield). The other 5 include include R-Jr RHP Ben Hecht who was drafted and signed by the Cubs, Jr. INF Bryant Klusener, Jr. C Alex Forge't, R-So RHP Matt Whelan and Fr. LHP Nathan Hawkins.

That leaves 29 guys plus the incoming recruits which, if they all show up including Braden Ash from Derby who said he was coming to WSU, will bring the total to 43 players. 8 of those guys will not be on the opening day roster.

Comment

Working...
                            X