• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Anyone know where Casey Sunseri signed?
    Texas State, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

So we have an announced recruiting class of 18 players and a roster that has 4 seniors and 7 juniors (none of whom are slam dunk draft picks) and 3 redshirt sophomores (of which maybe Alex Segal might be a likely draft pick especially if he has a good season this year).
      Keep in mind we are still 6 over the roster limit for the upcoming 2019 season. At this point in time we are 24 over the limit for 2020 with 4 seniors on the team, so 20 over the limit if nobody is drafted and signs this year. I think it is safe to say the roster will look very different opening day of the 2020 season than it does today. Maybe even a different coach or two? Maybe???
      Last edited by shockfan89_; November 21, 2018, 09:35 AM.

Comment

I count 5 over the roster limit not that makes any real difference. Are the guys who do not make the final 35-man roster cut from the team or are they allowed to continue practicing with the team?

Comment

Originally posted by Wuzee View Post
          FWIW ... the class includes ...

#1 3B in Colorado --
          Derek Shaver
          #1 SS in Kansas -- Brady Slavens
          #1 1B in Texas -- Blake Marsh
          #1 OF in Kansas -- Quinton Hall
          #1 2B in Missouri -- Cade Clemons

#2 3B in Oklahoma -- James Dunlap
          #2 RHP in Kansas -- Mark Adamiak
          #2 RHP in Missouri -- Will Stevens

#3 C in Kentucky -- Colin Burgess
          #6 LHP in Illinois -- Connor Oliver
          #11 SS in Texas -- Couper Cornblum
          #12 RHP in Texas -- Kyle Wilson
          If this is really true, these guys should be able to play from day 1 and make an impact.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

If this is really true, these guys should be able to play from day 1 and make an impact.
          Anyone a professional draft prospect?

Comment

Does anyone know what happened to oral commit Mateo Martinez of Campus?

Comment

• ShockTalk
              ShockTalk commented
              Editing a comment
              Perfect Game still has him as a WSU commit as does his Twitter.

Originally posted by bleednblackngold View Post
            Is he a 2019 or 2020 commit?

Comment

• 1972Shocker
              1972Shocker commented
              Editing a comment
              He is a senior at this year at Campus which would make him Class of 2019.

Prep Baseball Report shows him as Class of 2019: https://www.prepbaseballreport.com/p...nez-8652179043

• shockfan89_
              shockfan89_ commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks 1972Shocker - If he is the Class of 2019, why wasn't Martinez listed in either of the recent announcements?

• 1972Shocker
              1972Shocker commented
              Editing a comment
              That I could not tell you. It is possible he has not signed an LOI yet. Maybe he wants to see the lay of the land at the end of this season. Can sign an LOI as late as 8/1/19. Or maybe he was recruited as a non-scholarship player which doesn't require an LOI. In that case he would not be announced until he is officially enrolled at WSU. Or he has changed his mind and will go a different direction.

lol, and how did that #2 ranked recruiting class in 2015 go over?

It’s mind boggling that people still drop terms like “impact” with this current regime. It’s the definition of insanity.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• DUShock
              DUShock commented
              Editing a comment
              https://stormininnorman.com/wp-conte...-Scott-gif.gif

• shockfan89_
              shockfan89_ commented
              Editing a comment
              Perfect Game currently has the recruiting class ranked #45 and that is including Mateo Martinez. It looks like it is ranked that high due to the sheer number of commits. Right now, only Texas Tech and Army have more commits than WSU. A handful of schools have the same number or one less.

I am not sure how accurate Perfect Game player ratings are, but our class has a much lower player rating average than the teams above us which would indicate we got a bump into the top 50 based on number of signings. Our average player rating ranks us 76th.

I don't know where Wuzee got those numbers, and I'm not saying they are wrong, but those numbers don't seem to align with Perfect Game on our overall recruiting ranking, or our average player rating. In other words, I would think having over half of your players being #1 or #2 in their state, at their position, would equate to a top 25 recruiting class.

To have a recruiting class ranked #2 in the country you would pretty much have to have an entire recruiting class of #1s in their state at their position.
              Last edited by shockfan89_; November 29, 2018, 07:29 AM.

The rankings are mostly from Perfect Game as listed in the GoShockers release. Just because a recruit is #1 at 1B in a state doesn’t mean that there aren’t 45 pitchers and outfielders ahead of him in the overall rankings in that state. Also, #1 in Colorado isn’t likely the same as #1 in Texas or California. That’s why my post begins with FWIW — which isn’t a lot, frankly. But I did think it was interesting.
            Last edited by Wuzee; November 29, 2018, 08:34 AM.
            “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• shockfan89_
              shockfan89_ commented
              Editing a comment
              Totally interesting, and I agree, there are so many factors that could sway the player ratings/rankings. Your post just made me curious of the recruiting ranking and I was surprised at how low we were given the numbers you provided and the fact we had the #2 class 4 years ago.

I don't really follow player ratings or recruiting rankings so it isn't hard to believe I am in left field on this one! Thanks for your response.

• SB Shock
              SB Shock commented
              Editing a comment
              The #2 ranking of WSU recruiting class was from Collegiate baseball. Their methodology was to give points based on where the recruits went in the draft. Due to the large size of the recruiting class, that was juco heavy - it more about quantity than quality.

Originally posted by bleednblackngold View Post
            Mateo Martinez and John (Hollis) Huff reported on Shocker baseball's twitter account as additional Class of 2019 recruits in addition to the 18 previously announced.

Wichita St. Baseball‏Verified account @GoShockersBSB Mateo Martinez, a 6-1 catcher from Wichita, has joined Wichita State Baseball!

1:39 PM - 7 Dec 2018

Wichita St. Baseball‏Verified account @GoShockersBSB

John Huff, a 6-3 LHP from Blanchard, Okla., has joined Shocker Baseball!

11:15 AM - 28 Nov 2018

Comment

nm

Comment

Im excited to see if Slaven can contribute this year. I think he and Quinton Hall could win statting spots.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                  Im excited to see if Slaven can contribute this year. I think he and Quinton Hall could win statting spots.
                  so they will be keeping stats?

Comment

Hey so I know this is like a really old thread but if you are interested in local teams you might want to get out and watch Campus this year. #1 You can see Mateo play whos signed but the real gems are the Jrs they got. One of them has already been offered. And while Tanner and Jackson arent Carl Hall & Richie Taylor (Maybe better?) they are a really great battery and tanner might be a better CF

and their summer team is playing pretty much all summer at Eck also

Comment

Quite the impact.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                      X