Fire Todd Butler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

I just realized something and had to rush to ShockerNet to share it with all my friends. I'm going to blow your minds...

I think Butler wanted to be fired after this year. I think he was hoping and praying for the early termination without cause bonus plus his remaining contracted salary. I think Butler is tired of getting his head kicked in every year (I swear I saw him mouth the word "uncle" in the KWCH interview). I think Butler has a chill assistant coaching gig lined up as we speak and was already packed and ready to go. I think ADDB actually spent most of the interview giving Butler a pep talk about next year because his department is too broke to pay for a replacement. That's right, I think The Boatster's biggest challenge to himself was to convince Butler to go hard next year without sounding desperate and devoid of any tangible threats.

This is the financial state our athletic department is in and it's not Darron's fault. Hell, he didn't ask for this job... it kind of just fell in his lap. He's overmatched and doing the best he can. He doesn't have it in him to go out and pull money from the boosters. The question for me now is this... who's responsible for not hiring a legitimate AD when Schaus left? Was that on our previous president? Someone has been running our department on the cheap. It could have a little to do with Marshall's massive salary. A good AD costs around $300-400K per.

Discuss.

T

...:cool:
    I had been drinking quite a bit before posting this. I took Dave from Tulsa's comment and ran with it regarding an early termination penalty. Is this factual?

T

Comment

• I fear cognitive dissonance has reared its ugly head in this thread now. The stress of our beloved program being allowed to wither and die with only a child holding the keys to the kingdom has finally taken its toll. We are moving beyond the depression and anger phase. Indifference for the remaining few fans that are left is looming. I think I will voluntarily enter the indifference phase. I don't like how I feel anymore when I read comments in this part of the board. It's like a sadomasochist's wet dream.

Goodbye Shocker baseball fans. I'll see you 'round the bend (when we have a new skipper).

T

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
        I fear cognitive dissonance has reared its ugly head in this thread now. The stress of our beloved program being allowed to wither and die with only a child holding the keys to the kingdom has finally taken its toll. We are moving beyond the depression and anger phase. Indifference for the remaining few fans that are left is looming. I think I will voluntarily enter the indifference phase. I don't like how I feel anymore when I read comments in this part of the board. It's like a sadomasochist's wet dream.

Goodbye Shocker baseball fans. I'll see you 'round the bend (when we have a new skipper).

T

I agree. It's embarrassing that we have a couple of kernels that because they know the Butler family on a personal level and he's such a nice guy, they are the only ones allowed to have opinions. Everybody else aren't really fans and can suck eggs for not supporting a perennial loser and an AD that allows that to happen. If you're a coach at WSU, you can do no wrong. If you're the athletic director, you can do or say no wrong. These people are invincible because they are in higher-level positions at the university. Everything they say and do is right. Everybody else, including the people that are still following the program and throwing money their direction are garbage and their opinions don't matter.

I seriously don't give a flying **** anymore. I'm tired of a couple people shooting their noses down at everyone else because they have tea with Todd on Saturday mornings. Screw it.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• WuDrWu
          WuDrWu commented
          Editing a comment
          It took you awhile, but you finally came around Fev!

• http://www.kansas.com/sports/college...212403979.html

More fluff and puff. I've never seen responses more vague, more generalized, and more wishy-washy in my life. Just take the middle of the road, don't take a stance, and try to sneak away to volleyball season as quick and quietly as possible.

Pathetic.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Veritas
          Veritas commented
          Editing a comment
          "The first phase of turning around the WSU baseball program has been completed," he states. Turned around from what??? The Butler's own dismal ineptness? Guy is nearly a thief stealing money with his performance and The Boat is letting him get away with it.

Unfortunately, the guy is not going to be able to turn around his popularity at WSU. Regardless of his record, he is like the Jimmy Carter of college baseball coaches. He can do no right. A vote of No-Confidence.

• Clearly, there is a risk either way - firing or retaining. What is the bigger risk? I don't know.

Transitions are often very difficult, especially in this situation. The transition was tricky going from Gene to anyone when it happened. When a coach and program are at the top of their game, it doesn't seem so tough (see KU basketball from Roy to Bill Self.) Clearly, WSU baseball was not in that spot when the change happened.

I thought Boatright and Butler did an okay job explaining the situation in the Eagle piece recently posted. I did not listen to the 97.5 interview, and not sure I will.

Maybe things were worse than we thought when Gene left. There is a strong case for that. Things were not great for WSU baseball when Gene left; on the field performance and others things. I'm beginning to think it was worse than we all thought.

But five years and not going to an NCAA tourney? FWIW, Coach K missed the NCAA basketball tourney at Duke his first three years - and that is Coach K, and that is Duke.

Has there been progress? Demonstrably there has been, over the last three years.

Comment

• Winners win. And it doesn't take winners 5+ years to do so. See Tim Walton. See Paul Lusk(not a winner). Winners win. Its hard to find winners but you don't quit trying till you find one. Butler is not a winner. Never has been. Never will be. Find a winner ADDB!
          Last edited by bleednblackngold; June 3, 2018, 07:37 AM.

Comment

• Soooo...we still don't know a definitive on whether Butler has been officially retained?

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• So HCTB goes from an assistant at Arkansas to coach at WSU for the 2014 season and since that point:

WSU is 141-149-1 (.485) with no post season appearances.

2014 - 31-28, 4th in the MVC , (2-2 MVC Tournament)
                2015 - 26-33, Tied for 3rd in the MVC, (2-2 MVC Tournament)
                2016 - 21-37, 6th in the MVC, (0-2 MVC Tournament)
                2017 - 28-30, 5th in the MVC, (1-2 MVC Tournament)
                2018 - 35-21-1, Tied for 7th in AAC (1-2 AAC Tournament)

Arkansas is 198-117 (.629) playing in the best baseball conference, played in 4 Regional final games, 2 Super Regionals, and currently playing for the NC.

2014 - 40-25, Regional Final
                2015 - 40-25, Regional Champion, Super Regional Champion, CWS participant
                2016 - 26-29 (missed SEC tournament)
                2017 - 45-19, lost in the Regional Championship game
                2018 - 47-19, playing for a National Championship

But, we still have faith we are moving in the right direction...
                Last edited by shockfan89_; June 25, 2018, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• Obligatory bump.

If this administration had any amount of dignity, they would fire Butler tonight, pay off the remaining balance, and save the embarrassment.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Just wanna bump this piece up with the current relevant topics.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                    X