Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post
    So no extension just a lame duck
    Since he has 2 more years on his contract I don’t think u can consider him a “lame duck”.

Comment

• BOBB
      BOBB commented
      Editing a comment
      I can and will. If he doesn't get an extension next year he will be a "Zombie"

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

LoL!

You just compared Butler to Marshall.

T

...:cool:
    You just compared yourself to Putin.

Comment

Yes. Not extending a failing coaches contract implies that he is failing but you are not going to find a replacement.

Look on the bright side; homeboy's gonna have plenty of time to swim in the pool with the kiddies this summer.

Boatright gonna Boatright...

T

Comment

• Literally the most depressing interview ever. Butler eye's are just begging for somebody to fire him.

T

Comment

Kind of the worst of all worlds. I guess it will make it easier to get rid of him next year. In the mean time, I will save a little money on not making baseball road trips.

Comment

• Lame duck is better than an extension. How pathetic is that?

Comment

• Originally posted by XManCometh View Post

If Gregg Marshall leaves and we hire a new coach that finishes nearly last in the conference every year for 5 straight years this place would blow up. Yet in regards to baseball (the sport that put us on the map) some of you are totally fine with a trash team every year. It boggles my mind.
              Truer words have never been spoken. I won't go to a game next year.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                1972Shocker commented
                Editing a comment
                Except baseball didn't put us on the map. Baseball kept us on the map while basketball when through it's funk but we actually had some pretty good and very well known basketball before we ahd our long run in baseball under Gene. Basektball always has been the bell cow and the anchor store for Wichita State.

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
              Keep in mind, everyone doubted how Marshall would replace each class of Seniors that got better than the last.
              If I was making a comparison I would compare Todd Butler to Mike Perniciaro. After 5 years Todd Butler is 141-149 (0.486) and Mike Perniciaro's record after 5 years was 149-147 (0.503). Arguably, the program Mike Perniciaro took over from Judy Favor (probably Jim Schaus' worst hire) was in worse shape than what Todd Butler inherited from Gene. Pooch was replaced.

Granted the softball program fell off drastically in Pooch's final two years after he cycled through Tim Walton's players and Coach Butler had his best year this past year. This is the only rationale I can see. That the porgram was improved this past season (and it was for sure) and the powers that be think that will continue.

Maybe it is as much a bet on Mike Steele and Sammy Espinoza as it is on Todd Butler.

Can we be as good or better next year? Anything is possible but that doesn't seem too likely although baseball is one sport where quantum leeps from one year to the next can be made. We probalbly need to see a handful of Bret Bascue (Sr. year) type improvements next year, hope the draft doesn't hurt us too much and hope the injuries to the piching staff will be minimal.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 1, 2018, 04:26 PM.

Comment

• Either Boatright is incompetent or we simply don't have the funds to make a change. I think it's the latter.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Can we be as good or better next year? Anything is possible but that doesn't seem too likely although baseball is one sport where quantum leeps from one year to the next can be made. We probalbly need to see a handful of Bret Bascue (Sr. year) type improvements next year, hope the draft doesn't hurt us too much and hope the injuries to the piching staff will be minimal.
                  key to that question imo will be with the pitching staff. Pitching staff on the face of it took a big step forward (3.91 ERA), but got exposed in conference play (4.86 ERA). If the pitching can continue to improve, then can the overall program.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                    Either Boatright is incompetent or we simply don't have the funds to make a change. I think it's the latter.
                    Either way, it's all on Boatright. He's responsible for the financial health of the athletic department. If there's a shortfall and a coaching change needs to be made, he starts flipping through his Rolodex and makes the difficult calls.

But after listening to him on the radio, I belly laugh as I imagine him calling up Mr. Joe Millionaire and trying to close. He'd likely vomit all over his tightly stretched golf shirt. Jim Schaus was a salesman, Jim Schaus was a man. Jim would walk right up to you and crush your hand as he reached into your breast pocket to remove your check book. That's the one thing that made me hopeful with ADES, he did know how to ask for money...

T

Comment

• And before anybody starts chirping about how tight the alumni base giving has been strung already... piss off.

Over 16 TRILLION (with a T) in wealth has been created over the last 7+ years in the markets. Shocker Nation is as rich as it has ever been.

Raising one million dollars through 30-40 of our biggest boosters would be achievable in an afternoon. I'd have done it myself for free had they asked.

T

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

key to that question imo will be with the pitching staff. Pitching staff on the face of it took a big step forward (3.91 ERA), but got exposed in conference play (4.86 ERA). If the pitching can continue to improve, then can the overall program.
                        I agree. Pitching is aways the key. Our offense under Coach Butler is actually better than it was in Gene' final years. What fell off post-Gene was the pitching which was interesting since Brent was still around for 3 years. Not exactly sure what dynamic was at work there but the resutls were not good.

We also give up more unearned runs under Todd Butler than we did with Gene which puts even more pressure on the pitchers.

That said it is hard right now to place a bet that the offense won't take a step back from last year. If Luke Ritter goes pro the team we would field next year would hit, based on this year's averages about .260 at a team with around 30 home runs. This year's team hit .290 with 57 home runs. Obviously, we need to see a nice step up from most of these returning playerd and/or some newcomers that con contribute.

Comment

• For everything that it is worth, and I apologize in advance since this news was pertinent to the shocknet community, but my colleague (local media writer) I spoke about in my last post said, off the record, that the 1PM meeting between ADDB and HCTB was a last ditch effort ultimatum, and he heard & shared with me that HCTB was going to be given another year to show a massive upswing in the program.

Mags was an accountant by trade and certainty the one who always did our family’s taxes so she would be elated to hear about the fiscal conservatism the Athletic department (and subsequent tax payers) are saving.

Said the reasoning behind the inaction stems from the terms of HCTB’s buyout agreement between the two parties. Apparently, he said that HCTBs lawyers insisted on a 500K buyout if the WSUAD where to terminate his contract, but next year, it would only be 250. That’s math even my boneheadedness can agree with.

He said that the university is hedging on the pending influx of NCAA money next year coming from basketball in March to afford the 250 payout. Needless to say, ADDB is shopping for head coaches and will have a perfect suiter for next year. I know this is hard to stomach but I think ADDB made the best fiscal decision he could pending this situation we’re in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave from Tulsa View Post
                            For everything that it is worth, and I apologize in advance since this news was pertinent to the shocknet community, but my colleague (local media writer) I spoke about in my last post said, off the record, that the 1PM meeting between ADDB and HCTB was a last ditch effort ultimatum, and he heard & shared with me that HCTB was going to be given another year to show a massive upswing in the program.

Mags was an accountant by trade and certainty the one who always did our family’s taxes so she would be elated to hear about the fiscal conservatism the Athletic department (and subsequent tax payers) are saving.

Said the reasoning behind the inaction stems from the terms of HCTB’s buyout agreement between the two parties. Apparently, he said that HCTBs lawyers insisted on a 500K buyout if the WSUAD where to terminate his contract, but next year, it would only be 250. That’s math even my boneheadedness can agree with.

He said that the university is hedging on the pending influx of NCAA money next year coming from basketball in March to afford the 250 payout. Needless to say, ADDB is shopping for head coaches and will have a perfect suiter for next year. I know this is hard to stomach but I think ADDB made the best fiscal decision he could pending this situation we’re in.
                            GFY
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                            X