Fire Todd Butler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
    Unfortunately, sheep and group-thinkers only follow, which is what happened. No amount of trying to beat sense into their heads would work. Now all they do is spin their justification. Shameful!
    Reverse the Curse. Hire part of "the family" as HC and name the baseball complex after GS!
    I am with you, V, absolutely!

Comment

• My spin:

FHCGS should be celebrating his 12th season of mediocrity at OU.

July 11, 2005: fHCGS agreed to become the head coach at Oklahoma.

From that date our program had been on a downhill trend. No spin, fact. His leaving was the nail in our program. It will take a decade to get out from underneath it.

Add into it the violations under his watch, and you have the true failure of WSU Baseball. The resulting investigation showed the issues with our success: our coaches indifference to the program and the feeling that things would continue on the same level as they had been due to reputation. But, they failed to put in the effort requested of the players they recruited.

From the NCAA investigation that led to forfeiting our 2013 season:

“He was at (Wichita State) for a very long period of time, had a highly compliant program during that period, never had a major violation,” said Eleanor W. Myers, the chief hearing officer for the NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions. “This occurrence … was something that went on over a period of time when he was not in the office as much as he once was.”

Call it what you will, we are 21 years removed from relevancy due to the coaching staff's lack of effort recruiting and developing our players. It does take longer in Baseball to resurrect a program in 2017 than 1978.

All that said, if we don't finish in the top 1/3 of the AAC, it will be time for a change. But understand that is another 6 years of mediocrity at best. If you want to see this program relevant again, buy tickets, show up, be the fams we claim to be, not the fans that lead to the mediocirty of 70% of programs in D1.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
        My spin:

FHCGS should be celebrating his 12th season of mediocrity at OU.

July 11, 2005: fHCGS agreed to become the head coach at Oklahoma.

From that date our program had been on a downhill trend. No spin, fact.
        The 2007 and 2008 seasons seem to indicate a rather large amount of spin and shortage of facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
          The 2007 and 2008 seasons seem to indicate a rather large amount of spin and shortage of facts.
          When were Dirks, Gillespie, Coleman, Capra, and Schafer recruited? That was the last class he recruited before leaving for OU. Since he put on the Boomer Sooner uniform, our program has been going downhill.

Comment

If you want to see this program relevant again, buy tickets, show up, be the fams we claim to be, not the fans that lead to the mediocirty of 70% of programs in D1.
            I was a loyal season ticket buyer until the year (I think two years ago) that I purchased season tickets at regular price and found out that they sold season tickets later for much, much less. For some reason that rankled me and still does.

Comment

When were Dirks, Gillespie, Coleman, Capra, and Schafer recruited? That was the last class he recruited before leaving for OU. Since he put on the Boomer Sooner uniform, our program has been going downhill.
              Difficult to tell, though not all before your chosen inflection point.

When were Norris, Gilmore, Kozma, Watkins, and Gould recruited?

I would argue that his accepting that job and then returning to WSU actually rejuvenated the program for a few years. There was a fire and type of play reminiscent of the 90s. If the MLB had changed the signing bonus rules 3-4 years earlier, who knows where things would be. Now, the MLB didn't change those rules at that time, and Stephenson doesn't get a pass because of it. The program was not competing nationally the last few years, and that's a fair thing to consider. But you're ignoring results to extend the timeline to fit your chosen narrative.

Comment

• In my opinion, and it is mine alone as I respect the opinion of others with an opposing opinion; we should respect and gratefully acknowledge his success but we were not bound nor should we be to loyalty to him after his Norman dalliance.

Any loyalty for past success was willing forfeited by FHCGS with his departure noted below:

Go Shocks!
                “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Dirks and Coleman came to Wichita in the fall of 2006...but I still agree with your overall point.
                  78-65

Comment

• Amazing how a thread about the current coach keeps turning into a thread about the former coach (I guess that is bound to happen when the former coach is a legend).

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker3 View Post
                      Amazing how a thread about the current coach keeps turning into a thread about the former coach (I guess that is bound to happen when the former coach is a legend).
                      There is primarily only "one reason" that happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker3 View Post
                        Amazing how a thread about the current coach keeps turning into a thread about the former coach (I guess that is bound to happen when the former coach is a legend).
                        You do realize that it is damn near impossible for this board to stay on topic, don't you?

Comment

• Well, time for the annual bump. Butler has likely earned a fifth year even if we don't make a regional. Just for the record, I like Butler a lot. He has brought class and respect back to the program, recruits high character kids, and is the kind of guy one would hope his kid gets coached by. With all that said, this programs DNA is made up of championship baseball and it's current state of health over the last 4 years (actually since 2008) is unacceptable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockerman View Post
                            Butler has likely earned a fifth year even if we don't make a regional.
                            There are so many things wrong with this I'm not sure where to begin. So, I guess I'll just point out that this IS year 5, and choose to leave it at that, for the time being.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockerman View Post
                              Well, time for the annual bump. Butler has likely earned a fifth year even if we don't make a regional. Just for the record, I like Butler a lot. He has brought class and respect back to the program, recruits high character kids, and is the kind of guy one would hope his kid gets coached by. With all that said, this programs DNA is made up of championship baseball and it's current state of health over the last 4 years (actually since 2008) is unacceptable.
                              Season not over. I could see this going 3 ways.

1. They could continue tanking and u might have to consider firing him (if you can't get to NCAA in year 5, then when? Year 9?)
                              2. Or they could put it together and get a NCAA tournament appearance and contract extension.
                              3. I think best case would be WSU finishes strong and somebody hires Butler away from WSU.

Comment

• I'm fine with Butler getting more slack if he takes this team into the Super Regionals. You would hope that would be the case with a starting lineup composed of mostly juniors and seniors with a couple of top 3 round draft picks. Making a regional is expected in year five and again, with a lineup of tenured players. If he goes 'Two-N-Q' in the regionals, he needs to go.

Comment

Working...
                                X