• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Good, Bad and Ugly

The Good

Dusty Coleman 0.421, 2 HR, 7 RBI
    Conor G. 0.381, 5 RBI
    Bret Bascue 0.375 in 3 games
    Rob Musgrave 2.53 ERA in two starts (the travesty is he's 0-0)

Tyler Fleming 0.00, 10 IP
    0.985 Team Fielding Pct
    7 Team SB in 7 attempts

The Bad
    Aaron Shafer 5.56 ERA, 0.356 opp BA - starting to have a concern about his arm - he's looked very average to below average in two starts

Hitters are striking out 1 every 3.75 AB's

The Ugly
    3 pitchers have pitched almost 70% of the innings so far.
    WSU pitching Staff has given up more walks than WSU hitters have taken
    Runners are 5 for 5 against Weber

Good points except the last one. Bases are generally stolen on the pitchers not the catcher. Still not a good stat.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
      Good points except the last one. Bases are generally stolen on the pitchers not the catcher. Still not a good stat.
      Thats a good point, it's probably not all Weber's fault.

Comment

Very, very disappointing. Not suprising, but disappointing to say the least. We need a three game sweep of TCU to get our non-con record and re'sume' back to being respectable. Definitely not a top 25 team right now. I'm so freakin pissed. I know I predicited a series loss but I was at least hoping for a reverse jinx going on.

Comment

forget about the good and the bad....

I think this team will struggle to compete in the Missouri Valley.
          although the best things in life are free, upgrades are usually available

Comment

Re: forget about the good and the bad....

Originally posted by tripleshock

Its way to early to make that statement. They have only played 6 games and have been outside for about 10 days. Come on the team always seem to struggle early on until the weather warms up here in Wichita. Don't jump off yet.

Comment

I'm not worried! :good:
              SFL is back!

Comment

You have a catcher that is more talented in many ways, speed, pop time!! Did anyone see that he double pumped in the emporia game on the attemted steal got him by two steps anyway. Wow what a hose. Cody hit well over the summer he deserve a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by gotshocks
                  You have a catcher that is more talented in many ways, speed, pop time!! Did anyone see that he double pumped in the emporia game on the attemted steal got him by two steps anyway. Wow what a hose. Cody hit well over the summer he deserve a shot.
                  Welcome Cody's mom to Shockernet. Cody will get his shot - next season. TWeb is a good catcher, a good hitter, and a good game manager. Let us not forget, he had exactly 1 error last season - almost unheard of for a catcher. The Shocker pitching staff outside the core 3 starters is largely inexperienced and they will need to lean heavily on TWeb's experience.

Cody's time will come, just not in '08.

--'85.
                  Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Whoa there, skippy.

We're 6 games and barely a week in. Calm down.

Why don't you take a look at how some of WSU's supposed threats are doing in the Valley thus far..

SIU, picked 3rd and ranked in some preseason polls, is 3-4, losing 2 out of 3 to Western Michigan and Northern Illinois.

CU, picked 2nd and ranked in some preseason polls, is 4-2, losing 2 out of 3 to Pac-10 bottom feeder Washington State.

If you're gonna compare WSU with the rest of the Valley right now, you might wanna check out what the rest of the Valley's doing before opening up the ol' blowhole.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
                      Whoa there, skippy.

We're 6 games and barely a week in. Calm down.

Why don't you take a look at how some of WSU's supposed threats are doing in the Valley thus far..

SIU, picked 3rd and ranked in some preseason polls, is 3-4, losing 2 out of 3 to Western Michigan and Northern Illinois.

CU, picked 2nd and ranked in some preseason polls, is 4-2, losing 2 out of 3 to Pac-10 bottom feeder Washington State.

If you're gonna compare WSU with the rest of the Valley right now, you might wanna check out what the rest of the Valley's doing before opening up the ol' blowhole.

Speaking of blowhole:

Darwin Award: Blowhole: 18-year-old Daniel was vacationing with his family when he met three young women on a Hawaiian beach. Perhaps the company of the women addled his brain. Half an hour after meeting them, he was frolicking in a dangerous natura
                      SFL is back!

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85
                        Originally posted by gotshocks
                        Welcome Cody's mom to Shockernet. Cody will get his shot - next season. TWeb is a good catcher, a good hitter, and a good game manager. Let us not forget, he had exactly 1 error last season - almost unheard of for a catcher. The Shocker pitching staff outside the core 3 starters is largely inexperienced and they will need to lean heavily on TWeb's experience.

Cody's time will come, just not in '08.

--'85.
                        Another thing to add is that Weber calls great games. I'm sure cody can call a fine game but Weber really really does a nice job and I doubt cody can call the game that Weber can at this point. Maybe so I dont know but I just think that calling the game is lost on so many of you. Yeah bring a bat and having a good arm, not making mistakes is important but nothing the catcher does is as important as calling a good game for the pitchers. less than a handfull are even allowed to call a game in college anymore. the fact that gene does says a lot about his guys. I'd like to think that our catchers dont get enough credit for the staffs success year ofter year. The amount of info that a catcher has to have and know about opposing batters is substantial and being able to make the tough calls in tough spots against tough batters is no job I would want. The guy does it as close to perfect as anyone could or expect.

Comment

I agree that Cody will be a fine catcher. He is extremely agile and quick behind the plate. One thing he needs to work on is handling pop-ups. They have that machine now so he will get plenty of reps.

Cody's roll this year is DH, T-Web's apprentice, and bullpen catcher. I'd heard we might see him in left field, but I haven't seen enough of him out there to judge whether his defense is adequate. Bascue is proving to be a tremendous defensive player, and I like what I have seen of Hall, so I see DH as being Cody's way into the lineup this year.

Cody hasn't hit that well so far (4 of 16 with one walk), but I think he will. Right now we're still looking for some consistency at DH.

Comment

Working...
                          X