Preseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preseason Discussion Thread

Figured since we a a baseball school again (for the time being) we could start talking about what we are all most excited
    or looking forward to this upcoming season.
    The Assman

Have to figure out where the starting pitching is coming from because that's what will determine how far this team goes. There's no reason to believe they won't be an excellent defensive team.

Last year's team fielded .977 which I believe tied the best fielding % in modern Shocker history (78-now) with the 2013 team. These guys can field.

We should be able to hit. I'm no doubt projecting a bit, but I see serviceable, situational hitters in Stewart & Sigrist, average or better in Ingram, Cornblum and Cadena, and way above average to elite in Kocis, Stroh, Casserilla and Tolle (among projected starters). And we have some other new kids to fill in holes now and then.

As I perused the roster to remind myself of possibilities, I notice one of my hopefuls, Jacob Lindemann, is no longer listed on the team. This makes me sad as this kid has battled and battled and been through illnesses and surgeries and injuries galore...that he's no longer with the team is disappointing. I hope the young man is wildly successful in whatever life has in front of him. He truly deserves a better outcome.

Kaminska. Stevens, Stuempfig, Hynes, Favors, Boyer, Gifford seem to be the likely long/starter guys.

Connor Holden seems likely to be first chance to get the ball at the end of games. LJ seems likely to be a set up guy based on past performances.

Bye and Hansen have a ton of talent but hardly any success in games. Tolle, Miner and Wallace seem most likely to be new guys to help (other than those already mentioned).

Unknown quantities in Ketelsen, Cranz, Jones, Howry, Adler & Harris.

We have a good solid schedule without too much deadweight and plenty of top 50ish type games, probably 20+.

Culture has been reborn at the Eck. Everything is set up for a return to postseason baseball. Can't come soon enough.

Comment

I enjoy watching infielders field the ball and throw a strike to first. Last years team was an absolute joy to watch. They field the ball cleanly and don't have to take two or three steps towards first before releasing the ball. These guys have arms and are accurate. Can't wait to see them in Frisco the first week in March. JJ and I will be taking an early road trip this year.

Comment

Anyone make the 1st pitch banquet last night? I’m still on lockdown so passed. Any reports? Good crowd?

Comment

Xavier Casserilla is named D1baseball preseason American Conference Freshman of the Year.

Also ranked Kocis #16 1st baseman in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            Xavier Casserilla is named D1baseball preseason American Conference Freshman of the Year.

Also ranked Kocis #16 1st baseman in the country.
            How does Kocis rank for draft eligible 1st basemen?

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

How does Kocis rank for draft eligible 1st basemen?
              He is not ranked in the Top 100 of draft-eligible players (there are 9 players with 1B experience on that list).

His value to the program IMO is his leadership and then his experience. As 5th-yr players maybe he can put together a really special year due to his maturity at the plate.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

He is not ranked in the Top 100 of draft-eligible players (there are 9 players with 1B experience on that list).

His value to the program IMO is his leadership and then his experience. As 5th-yr players maybe he can put together a really special year due to his maturity at the plate.
                Yes, now us the time for him to produce a special year. 20 Rounds (instead of the 40 or more rounds in the past) makes it more difficult to be considered for the draft.

Comment

10. More. Days.

Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Maybe cdizzle will make his annual appearance.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Oof, it finally sunk in that Louisiana Tech's preseason rank is 15 and we have them away. Baptism by fire!
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Tech is solid but not unbeatable. Really looking forward to seeing what the rotation will be next week. With the first 12 away from home and half of those against top 50 type teams, a competitive start is a must.

The Bulldogs rebuilt their park after it was destroyed by a tornado. It re-opened last year, LaTech beat #1 Arkansas and then drubbed #4 MSU 13-1. They hosted a regional. All chairbacks are sold out for the season, but there are only 1322 chairbacks and a total capacity of about 2100. It will be a small and cozy but lively environment to start the season.

LaTech returns almost all of their pitching and all but one start from last season. They did a couple of key starters including 3B Hunters Wells, their best hitter and CF Parker Bates, their 2nd best hitter and both leading RBI men. They did pick up a transfer from Mississippi State, Jeffrey Ince, who either was cut in the fall at MSU or decided he wasn't going to play enough (or just didn't like MSU) who will play in their middle infield somewhere. He was a top 100 recruit and is still a true freshman.

In every way these guys hit a ton more than WSU last year. A TON. Team BA was .306, 71 HR on and on.

Their pitching wasn't overwhelming though. Both LT and WSU had a 2.27/1 K/BB. Their team ERA was 5.01 vs WSU at 5.06. They fielded .970 vs the Shocks at .977

Any win will be good. More than 1 win will be an outstanding way to start the season.
                        Last edited by WuDrWu; February 9, 2022, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                          Tech is solid but not unbeatable. Really looking forward to seeing what the rotation will be next week. With the first 12 away from home and half of those against top 50 type teams, a competitive start is a must.
                          Does Nostradamus have a good feeling about how we are doing at practice lately and the current ability to compete with that caliber of program right out of the gate?
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Does Nostradamus have a good feeling about how we are doing at practice lately and the current ability to compete with that caliber of program right out of the gate?
                            Eric and the staff are building culture but it takes time and it takes success, something we haven't had in abundance, yet. The fielding was exceptional last season. That's doing things the right way. Paxton Wallace was a respectable .963 at 3rd. Bartlett .966 could have been better and Gibby was a bit of liability when he played RF at .960

But they were 3 of our better hitters. 3 of our best if not the 3 best. I think the world of Paxton Wallace, and Xavier Casserilla will make you forget Wally by mid April. Ingram and Cornblum with Stroh in center will cover a ton of ground and fielded .988 .973 & 1.000 respectively. There's no reason to think this team will be anything but elite in the field.

I believe XC is an immediate plus replacing Wallace. Tolle is likely to replace Gibby at DH and early that's probably a wash. By May it should be a big plus for Tolle. Cornblum for Bartlett is a negative at the plate and a positive in the field...net negative but Cornblum does have upside and elite speed (CB was not very quick at all) and there's no promise that one of the newcomers doesn't beat out CC anyway. I think we'll be improved, somewhat substantially, with our daily lineup. Stroh and Kocis will be monsters. You make a mistake to Kocis or Tolle and they're leaving the yard immediately, unlike anyone you've seen for a very long time (Alec Bohm being the exception). Sigrist & Cadena are reliable and Cadena is very good behind the plate. Ingram will be improved, Stewart is ELITE in the field but needs to get better at the plate, and he's being pushed for the starting spot. We have more depth than last year.

As always, it comes down to pitching to determine if we'll be good or great. We have talent and depth but not much successful experience. Kaminska is our ace but he's not the most talented arm we have but today he's our best pitcher. Will Stevens is probably the most talented arm and along with Stumpy probably will be the first 3 we roll out as starters. If Matt Boyer can put it all together he could be really good. Very live arm. Cadon Favors is improving and shows promise. Spencer Hynes may have the hardest throwing arm on the roster but has struggled when given the ball. I believe between returners LJ McDonough, Foster Gifford, Creighton Hansen & Cameron Bye and transfers Austin Wallace (Texas) we'll have enough to get to transfer Connor Holden (Murray State) who will get 1st crack at closing games. Anything we get from the other newbies (Braden Harris, Nate Adler, Ty Howry, Grayson Jones, Jace Miner, Robert Cranz, Adam Ketelsen) will be gravy and to me at least, pleasantly unexpected. I have omitted both Payton Tolle and Derek Shaver from this evaluation because while both are athletic freaks, I'm not sure they will be part of the solution pitching wise. I could be WAY off base there.

So...all that crap and I didn't answer your question. Everything tells me La Tech has a winning culture. That's what Eric is trying to build here. We aren't there yet. The 1982 team ended up being National Runner Up to Miami, had about 7 All Americans, and set records that stand today, and probably always will stand. They went 0-5 at Arizona State (lost in the regional final) and Texas (CWS) by a combined score of 42-3. FORTY TWO TO THREE. Winning on the road, against quality winning programs early in the season (we just practiced outside for the first time in full yesterday) is exceedingly difficult.

One win and 2 competitive games wouldn't be a bad outcome by any measure against a confident and OLD Bulldog team that is certainly capable of being in the tourney and hosting again.

Useless tidbit of the day:

The 1982 tournament included 5 of the current 8 American Conference baseball programs. WSU, Houston, Tulane (WSU's regional in New Orleans) South Florida and East Carolina all made the tourney. UCF wasn't D-1. Cincinnati was in the Metro and was bad. Memphis however was outstanding and had to be close to making the tournament. They were 32-10, were 6-2 against the SEC (Ole Miss, Vandy and Bama) and were 3-1 vs #20 Tulane in the Metro and 3-2 vs #22 Florida State. No idea what the criteria for making the tournament in '82 was, but in a really strong Metro Conference, Memphis was as good as anyone.
                            Last edited by WuDrWu; February 10, 2022, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Xavier was my stand out guy last year...guess I will ride the same horse this year

Comment

Working...
                              X