2021 Shocker Fall World Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

First, it doesn't appear to me that our pitching will be worse than last year. Some young guys need to step up, but we have a nucleus of decent starting pitching

If Stewart can hit anything around 300 (even though puny hits- IF or short OF), he can help us. We know he can play defense, and he is a smart hitter, didn't swing at bad pitches last year, and can bunt. And if SS is taken care of, To me, the OF has the most questions to answer.

Outfield
    • Stroh has great tools, and if he can become more consistent, he can be very good.
    • Cornblum is solid/consistent, and can play, but it won't take us where we want to be on a national level. A good possibility to platoon or be on an outfield rotation.
    • Ingram can play and has some power but he needs more consistency this year, can't hit 230 again. If he's an answer, he needs to pick up the consistency.
    • Reeder and Stark appear to have some ability to hit, and play the OF, but we won't know for sure until the spring
    • DH and Tolle seem to be synonomous. Young maybe too, but you only need one DH.
    Is Rodden a good hitter that can be moved to the outfield, if Stewart is the answer at SS? Maybe I've missed on my above comments, or there is a player that I've missed.

Please discuss
    I don't think you missed the mark at all. I'm a bit bigger defender of Stewart at short. I keep going back to the .989 he fielded last year. That's an insane number for your regular SS. I understand he needs to hit a little, but not making any mistakes there is a big step to consistently winning in my book. Having not seen anyone field that spot close to as good as Stewart does, I'm going to have to see someone around .430 at the plate to send Andrew to the pine.

I think Stroh would have to be injured to not start. He's that good to me, and he's been murdering the ball this fall. He can field, throw, hit, hit for power and run....fast. He's too good, and he'll be too good. If he's healthy, I expect him to be in the running for All Conference.

Pretty much agree on Couper. Serviceable. Great attitude, tries hard, bought in.

Needed consistency is an excellent describer for Chuck. The young man has a lot of tools to be successful, just needs to put it all together.

I think one thing that "old school" fans will begin to recognize and appreciate is the way these guys go about their business and how they play. They do things the right way, the way many older Shocker baseball fans are accustomed to seeing this program play. Will Stark and Janson Reeder certainly are 2 of those type of players. Stark doesn't hit for enough power yet to be a regular, imho, but he seems like one of those kids that's going to find a way into the lineup now and then. Plus bunter. Will take one for the team anytime he can. I think Reeder will certainly get a chance to play at some point. I like B-Rod a little better though, but he seems more suited for the infield, not the OF.

Yeah, lol, Tolle is going to play. Maybe he can hit when he pitches and Stewart doesn't hit....is that allowed? If so, that's one day a week fixed.

Tolle and Kocis are a big time murderers row for pitchers. I know good pitching beats good hitting, but those two (with XC) are going to make some staffs sweat, and others vomit.

Rotation of Kaminska, Stevens, Stumpy (my rotation idea only) should be competitive if not substantially above average.

Others in the mix that I've seen enough of to count on in some capacity (all with upside), Tolle, Gifford, Bye, Wallace, Lindemann & Hansen all have shown ability and talent, just need consistency or a 3rd pitch. McDonough and Holden are going to see a fair amount of late game work.

Wallace, Hynes and Shaver have upside and ability but have been limited by being dinged up. Hynes and Shaver especially have big upside with FB topping out above 95+.

Other than Tolle, I hate to put pressure on freshmen, but anything we get out of these arms, this season (again, other than Tolle), I would consider a pleasant bonus.

Favors and Cranz seem to be the 2 most likely to be ready to step in and help right away, to me at least.

Unlike last season, we've fixed the no lefty issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Wuzee View Post
      Plus that's his walk up music.

Comment

Is Sigrist hurt?

Comment

Yes. He'll be fine in the spring.

Comment

Getting ready to go to the park to watch our Shocks. Also to watch XC. Have I mentioned that I think he might be pretty good. To tell you the truth I haven't really been as impressed early on with a player since I projected Doug Mirabelli an adequate replacement at the catcher position.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
              Getting ready to go to the park to watch our Shocks. Also to watch XC. Have I mentioned that I think he might be pretty good. To tell you the truth I haven't really been as impressed early on with a player since I projected Doug Mirabelli an adequate replacement at the catcher position.
              And I feel he might not even be the best player of this group of Freshmen.

Comment

Yellow Clinches Fall World Series with 5-1 Win

https://goshockers.com/news/2021/10/...-with-win.aspx

Perhaps the best pitched game of the series so far. LJ McDonough was very good for the Yellow squad allowing only 1 run on 3 hits and no walks (although he did plunk Jordan Rogers twice) over 6 innings.

Andrew Stewart contributed a sacrifice fly in the 2nd inning and then provided some breathing room in the bottom of the 6th after the Black team had made it 2-1 in the top of the 6th with a bases-loaded triple making it 5-1.

A nice crisp 1:42 minute 7 inning game.

The series concludes with game five on Saturday afternoon at 1:00 PM.

Comment

Black Team Closes Out Fall World Series With 5-4 Win

https://goshockers.com/news/2021/10/...-with-win.aspx

Behind 5.2 solid innings from Adam Ketelsen and a pair of crooked number innings, the Black Team salvaged the final game of the Fall World Series with a 5-4 win over the Yellow Team on Saturday afternoon.

Garrett Kocis had a 2 hit game for the Black team and Andrew Stewart had 2 hits of the Yellow team. Payton Tolle of the Yellow team had the games only home run.

Box Score

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

And I feel he might not even be the best player of this group of Freshmen.
                    I’m guessing Tolle is who you’re saying is the other possibility of best Freshman?
                    or is there another Fr. You are putting in this mix?

Comment

Working...
                    X