• 2021 Shocker Fall World Series

Baseball Announces Fall World Series Times

SCHEDULE:
    Saturday, October 9 - 1:00 PM
    Monday, October 11 - 3:00 PM
    Tuesday, October 12 - 3:00 PM
    Friday, October 15 - 3:00 PM
    Saturday, October 16 - 1:00 PM

Open link to see team rosters. A total of 44 players listed.

I'll take yellow or the win. I'm buying all of Xavier stock before it goes public.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
      I'll take yellow or the win. I'm buying all of Xavier stock before it goes public.
      Yellow definitely would be the favorite I would think and not only because of Xavier.

Comment

Yellow Takes Game One of Fall World Series

WuDrWu reporting that the wind was howling out today at the Eck. Each team had 2 homers.

Sounds like the hitters pretty much onwed this game with a total of 21 runs on 27 hits. Not sure if the pitchers are using thier full arsenal of pitches or not. The Yellow squad pitchers only walked 1 and hit 1 batter. The Black squad pitchers walked 3 and hit 2 batters.

Box Score: https://goshockers.com/documents/202..._09_142726.pdf

Comment

It was an odd game. Will Stevens was nasty at times, hitting 97 with his fastball, but gave up 5 runs on 6 hits, walked one and 5 Ks. Will Stark had one if not two wind aided hits.

Conner Holden's off speed stuff was really filthy.

I thought Cam Bye, who it seems is in the mix for a starting role or longer relief instead of the closer that I pegged him for, was good, UNLESS he got the ball up, because when he did they teed off on him. Tolle down in the count drilled 2 of Bye's high fastballs for hits.

Braden Harris got hit hard, but he also brought a 94 mph slider that was big league (could have been a fastball but had so much down movement......) so the talent is there.

Taxdahl and Howry had rough outings at the end. Jace Miner also struggled.

Andrew Stewart was 2-5 with 3 RBI. Brock Rodden was 1-4 with a HR and he kicked a couple of REALLY tough short hops (plays that Stewart made all last year).

It was SO windy out there, tough to get a good read on much. Kocis and Tolle are studs, and XC is a freak.

Jordan Rogers did a lot right today.

Lindemann and Creighton Hansen were both effective, which is very promising.
          Last edited by WuDrWu; October 9, 2021, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            It was an odd game. Will Stevens was nasty at times, hitting 97 with his fastball, but gave up 5 runs on 6 hits, walked one and 5 Ks. Will Stark had one if not two wind aided hits.

Conner Holden's off speed stuff was really filthy.

I thought Cam Bye, who it seems is in the mix for a starting role or longer relief instead of the closer that I pegged him for, was good, UNLESS he got the ball up, because when he did they teed off on him. Tolle down in the count drilled 2 of Bye's high fastballs for hits.

Braden Harris got hit hard, but he also brought a 94 mph slider that was big league (could have been a fastball but had so much down movement......) so the talent is there.

Taxdahl and Howry had rough outings at the end. Jace Miner also struggled.

Andrew Stewart was 2-5 with 3 RBI. Brock Rodden was 1-4 with a HR and he kicked a couple of REALLY tough short hops (plays that Stewart made all last year).

It was SO windy out there, tough to get a good read on much. Kocis and Tolle are studs, and XC is a freak.

Jordan Rogers did a lot right today.

Lindemann and Creighton Hansen were both effective, which is very promising.
            Thanks for posting this information; the coming season should demonstrate further growth/improvement. Look forward the coaches assessments/comments on this series.

Comment

Black Evens Fall World Series

Garrett Kocis hit a go-ahead three-run homer in the top of the seventh inning, and the Black Team evened the Fall World Series at one game apiece with a 5-4 win over the Yellow Team on Monday afternoon at Eck Stadium.

The homer from Kocis was part of a four-run top of the seventh inning for Black that turned a 2-1 deficit into a 5-2 lead. Yellow did not go quietly in the bottom half, however, as Chuck Ingram slammed a two-run double to center that put the tying run in scoring position. Reliever Grayson Jones slammed the door with a strikeout to nail down the save and tie the series.

Both starters were excellent, as Yellow's Payton Tolle tossed six innings of one-run baseball with three strikeouts, and Black got 5.1 strong frames from Robert Cranz, allowing two runs on six hits in a no-decision.

Box Score

Comment

Kocis crushed the ball off Lindemann who was trying to clean up the mess created by LJ.

Pavillion shot.
                ​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  Kocis crushed the ball off Lindemann who was trying to clean up the mess created by LJ.

Pavillion shot.
                  And, unlike Game 1, I assume he got very little help from the wind.

Comment

No help. Almost a perfect day at the yard. Both Tolle and Cranz were (to me at least) surprisingly effective, especially Cranz. BUT, they both stayed down, down down, a typically solid approach.

LJ was wild and loaded the bases, leaving a mess for Jacob.

This team has a nice mix of experience and talent. Certainly could be looking at a very encouraging season in the spring if they can continue to come together and get completely healthy.

Jack Sigrist was 3rd base coach. I know his shoulder was bothering him at the end of last season, I trust he's being held out for precautionary reasons.
                    Last edited by WuDrWu; October 12, 2021, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Trying to figure out from the 44 who are true invited walk ons. Too lazy to go back through the 21 recruiting class, late season D-1 transfers and other announcements.

Comment

Yellow Powers Up to Take Series Lead

XC at again going 4-5 with 4 RBI for the Yellow squad. Payton Tolle added 2 hits including a home run and Seth Stroh went yard twice for the Yellow Squad.

Box Score

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                          Yellow Powers Up to Take Series Lead

XC at again going 4-5 with 4 RBI for the Yellow squad. Payton Tolle added 2 hits including a home run and Seth Stroh went yard twice for the Yellow Squad.

Box Score
                          Stewart went 3-4 and is now 6-11 for the three games. Looks like the increased competition did him some good.

“The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Originally posted by Wuzee View Post

Stewart went 3-4 and is now 6-11 for the three games. Looks like the increased competition did him some good.
                            First, it doesn't appear to me that our pitching will be worse than last year. Some young guys need to step up, but we have a nucleus of decent starting pitching

If Stewart can hit anything around 300 (even though puny hits- IF or short OF), he can help us. We know he can play defense, and he is a smart hitter, didn't swing at bad pitches last year, and can bunt. And if SS is taken care of, To me, the OF has the most questions to answer.

Outfield
                            • Stroh has great tools, and if he can become more consistent, he can be very good.
                            • Cornblum is solid/consistent, and can play, but it won't take us where we want to be on a national level. A good possibility to platoon or be on an outfield rotation.
                            • Ingram can play and has some power but he needs more consistency this year, can't hit 230 again. If he's an answer, he needs to pick up the consistency.
                            • Reeder and Stark appear to have some ability to hit, and play the OF, but we won't know for sure until the spring
                            • DH and Tolle seem to be synonomous. Young maybe too, but you only need one DH.
                            Is Rodden a good hitter that can be moved to the outfield, if Stewart is the answer at SS? Maybe I've missed on my above comments, or there is a player that I've missed.

Please discuss

Comment

“The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Working...
                              X