No announcement yet.

Next Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think that anyone has put this article regarding getting to know Connor Holden better. Some nice things said regarding the Shocker baseball program.

‘It’s like a family:’ Connor Holden joins the Shockers for his final season of college baseball

https://thesunflower.com/56936/sport...lege-baseball/

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      Pretty sure XC will go pro. Will be a tough loss, could have been worse. Help’s on the way.
      FWIW, At least one Cardinal blogger does not expect to sign XC.

" Only one player, 20th rounder Xavier Casserilla, do I expect not to sign, which would bring the third base haul down to only a single player. Casserilla is a high schooler from Texas, committed to a pretty good baseball program at Wichita State, and isn’t going to sign for whatever the Cards can scrape together in bonus money for the twentieth round. And I say scrape because, as we will see going forward here, El Birdos made bonus calculations and fitting difficult numbers into tight spots a feature of this draft in a big way, it appears."

“The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Originally posted by Wuzee View Post

" Only one player, 20th rounder Xavier Casserilla, do I expect not to sign, which would bring the third base haul down to only a single player. Casserilla is a high schooler from Texas, committed to a pretty good baseball program at Wichita State, and isn’t going to sign for whatever the Cards can scrape together in bonus money for the twentieth round. And I say scrape because, as we will see going forward here, El Birdos made bonus calculations and fitting difficult numbers into tight spots a feature of this draft in a big way, it appears."

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2021/7/...e-early-rounds
        I think he’s likely right about the Cards not having much cash to spend on a low pick for them. However, that doesn’t point to the personality of the kid who for example may be poor college material, and isn’t excited about school.

There are and have always been good high school players who don’t want to go to school. I remember a Cornejo from Wellington and a couple of friends who would rather go and work manual labor than go to school if baseball didn’t work out.

Now that may or may not describe Xavier, but if it does, he’ll sign no matter what he is offered.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I think he’s likely right about the Cards not having much cash to spend on a low pick for them. However, that doesn’t point to the personality of the kid who for example may be poor college material, and isn’t excited about school.

There are and have always been good high school players who don’t want to go to school. I remember a Cornejo from Wellington and a couple of friends who would rather go and work manual labor than go to school if baseball didn’t work out.

Now that may or may not describe Xavier, but if it does, he’ll sign no matter what he is offered.
          And as I understand it that is exactly what he (Cornejo) has ended up doing. Manual labor.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post

And as I understand it that is exactly what he (Cornejo) has ended up doing. Manual labor.
            Unfortunately, Nate wasn’t the sharpest tool in the shed.
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Unfortunately, Nate wasn’t the sharpest tool in the shed.
              Would explain his desire to avoid school.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Professional baseball is a tough sport where the cream rises to the top. I had a friend who was drafted in lower rounds, played two years, and worked at an aircraft factory for the remainder of his life. Good player but the professional ranks don't have any patience, and if a young player gains a wife/family, it's even harder, and they can't afford not to rise fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Wuzee View Post

Your guy's article was dated July 18. This Cardinal blogger doesn't expect Xavier to sign either (July 20th), mainly because they drafted another 3rd baseman higher than Xavier, and he didn't think they could afford to sign both for the money they both would want. He obviously has plus talents and abilities. I thought these comments were very interesting because if he would choose not to sign, he could continue to pitch (throws 96mph) and play in the infield.

he is quick, even if he’s not fast, which plays better at the hot corner anyway. The glove looks pretty good overall, and he has some really interesting power projection at the plate. I would be fascinated to see him developed as a third baseman and relief pitcher in the Cards’ system, but more likely we’ll watch him do (hopefully), both at Wichita State and just have to see where he lands in a couple years.

"As interesting as Casserilla is as a two-way guy, though, it’s the bat that will likely have the higher value in the long run, as he has both solid feel for the bat and good natural strength already. He’s built like a tank at six feet even and 210 pounds, and will probably add another ten or fifteen pounds down the road, which should make him even stronger, but could slow him down to the point it becomes an issue. He’s already a below-average runner but not a problem yet.

The arm is an obvious plus, allowing him to make all the plays at third base, and he is quick, even if he’s not fast, which plays better at the hot corner anyway. The glove looks pretty good overall, and he has some really interesting power projection at the plate. I would be fascinated to see him developed as a third baseman and relief pitcher in the Cards’ system, but more likely we’ll watch him do (hopefully), both at Wichita State and just have to see where he lands in a couple years. He’s on the young side for a high school senior, so he fits the Cards’ rubric for a draft pick in that area as well. I wonder, with Baez coming in lower than expected, if they could pull together enough cash to get Casserilla signed. I would be happy if they did."

Any new information on Xavier Doc?

Comment

Comment

Yes!

Comment

Some encouraging numbers from the Sunflower League.

Looks like Stumpy is going to return and he's having a very good summer.

8 appearances, 25.0 innings, 4-0 record with 2 saves, 3 walks, 27 strikeouts and a 2.52 ERA

Better news is Jacob Lindemann has 5 starts, 1 complete game, 28.1 innings, 8 walks, 28 strikeouts and a 2.54 ERA.

A healthy and productive Lindemann would do wonders for our rotation.

Might consider moving Stumpy into a starting spot.

Tolle is hitting .336 and leading the league in RBIs. He's had mixed results on the mound with a 7.94 ERA but somehow 4 saves. He also started 2 games, but has only 11.1 innings or work.

Chuck Ingram is hitting .350 and leads the league in HRs but is still striking out too often.

If those are examples of people moving forward, they are very good signs for next year.

Comment

Goshockers has a 2022 roster minus Freshmen who haven’t reported yet. Only 19 listed. Players not listed include Cade Clemons, Cooper Elliott, Aaron Bechtel, and probably a couple of others that hadn’t been mentioned in the past.

Comment

Working...
                          X