No announcement yet.

WSU @ UCF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might be an 8 inning game if the Shocks can keep UCF scoreless in the bottom of the 8th due to the 10-run rule.

Nothing cheap about the 3 home runs the Shocks have it (so far) in the 8th.

Comment

Makes you wonder if we would've started Jace in game 1 if we wouldn't be looking for a sweep right now.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Bet Wedge regrets that now

Comment

Jekyll and Hyde team.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
            Makes you wonder if we would've started Jace in game 1 if we wouldn't be looking for a sweep right now.
            Probably not. The first game result would have just happened in the second game instead.

Comment

Maybe the thinking is use Jace in the 2nd game to at least have a great chance to win one on Fridays rather than risk a pitching duel between the other teams ace and what sometimes seems to be an anemic offense for the Shocks.

Comment

Man, I didn't realize we had two games yesterday.

Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Jace has been even better than I thought/hoped he'd be, just later. I think the staff's discipline (that's just my definition) to not throw him out there as an immediate rotation guy, or even Friday guy, shows that they value and will absolutely take care of pitchers which should be helpful in recruiting.

And like pogo said, it also might help with a young player's success not having to battle the other team's ace right off the bat.

Any realistic hope of finishing 3rd hinges on winning today and tomorrow. Tall task all things considered (decent team, on the road, much less than full strength and no currently reliable starting pitching left) but hey, stranger things have happened.

I'm assuming we'll go with Eddy today and Stroh tomorrow, only based on watching Hynes go to the pen to get loose yesterday at one point.

USF will play 2 at Memphis today if they can. Raining now, should clear later but tomorrow looks bad so they'll try for a DH starting at 2. Tigers or rain probably helps the Shocks.

Weather looks good everywhere else. Tulane & ECU will likely decide the #1 seed in Greenville starting at noon. Pirate bats are absolutely cooking now unless Jace is on the mound.

Houston appears to have quit. They were not competitive at all yesterday at home against a Cincy team that's better than they get credit for I think. The Bearcats are a half game up on WSU right now but drew the short scheduling straw and while the last 8, like the Shox, are at home, they get ECU for the 2nd time and Tulane. Any win by Houston today or tomorrow would really help WSU getting into the top 4 at the end but the likely prize would be to finish 3 and avoid ECU, but again, that's unlikely if we can't win the final 2 in Orlando this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                    Maybe the thinking is use Jace in the 2nd game to at least have a great chance to win one on Fridays rather than risk a pitching duel between the other teams ace and what sometimes seems to be an anemic offense for the Shocks.
                    So the idea is to surrender the first game and settle for a split?

I guess I see the idea but if you have a guy that’s dealing, no matter the age, you should at least give him a shot at it. Gonna need some experience for that for next year anyways.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

Probably not. The first game result would have just happened in the second game instead.
                      Out bats would’ve disappeared against their pitching in the second game? I doubt that.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                        Doc and I discussed that theory. Has some validity

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

So the idea is to surrender the first game and settle for a split?

I guess I see the idea but if you have a guy that’s dealing, no matter the age, you should at least give him a shot at it. Gonna need some experience for that for next year anyways.
                          While it does have some validity, it only makes sense if your 3 and 4 starters are as good or better than theirs, because you probably are already down one game.

So would Liam Eddy and whoever else we throw out there be better than their 3 and 4 starters?
                          Last edited by shoxlax; May 8, 2021, 12:12 PM.

Comment

I think it shows that the coaches see the lack of pitching depth. Instead of hoping and praying for 4 games...they at least can pencil in 1 victory.

Comment

Eddy had some really good pitching performances not too long ago, but now walks are killing him. It’s amazing how he went from #1 Pitcher to #3 in a short time and he may work his way back to #4 shortly if Stroh gets going, and he doesn’t find his confidence.

Comment

Might have to score 10 runs to win today. Bullpen should be warming now.

Comment

Working...
                                X