Incoming high school Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incoming high school Players

I haven't seen a list of 2020 signed high school recruits from Goshockers so it's a little confusing on who is coming and who isn't. Since I saw that a list of incoming juco players was listed, I thought that I'd post a list of high school recruits. Some are just commits that I'm not sure if they signed or not and some I know did sign. Some of the names I've listed, I know are from the Butler era and don't apply, and others are from the time that Eric Wedge was our new head coach. I tried to separate the lists. Please post if you know that anyone on this list no longer is committed.

From Butler's era that probably no longer are coming:

Cade Lott 3b/1b 6' 193
    Braden Berry Of/1b 6'2 220
    Jackson Beamer IF/RHP
    Dalton Beck LHP
    Coby Bolen LHP
    Jonah Cox IF
    Noah Griese UTL
    Cooper Harris C
    Konner Lewis RHP
    Cooper Harris C

If anyone knows if any of the above commits is still coming to WSU, please let us know.

After Eric Wedge Commits/Signees

Korben Ford SS 5'5
    Gage Williams C 5'11
    Chuck Ingram C 6' 200
    Seth Stroh SS 6'4 210
    Jace Kaminska RHP 6'2 225
    Jordan Rogers RHP 6'1 180
    Jalon Mack INF 6' 190
    Jaxon Osterberg INF 5'9 190
    Christian Clack LHP 6/3 156

With the juco signees listed on the other thread, this makes for 14 commits/signees after Wedge was hired. If anyone knows any of the above are NOT coming to WSU, or if there are any additional names to add, please let us know.
    Last edited by Shockm; April 4, 2020, 08:09 PM.

Did I see that MLB is shortening their draft to 5 rounds this year? If so, now is the time to go after HS players they might typically skip due to their likelihood of being taken high in the draft.

Though lots of players who might have turned pro are going to be looking for a college landing spot. Rosters are going to be bursting at the seams.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
      Did I see that MLB is shortening their draft to 5 rounds this year? If so, now is the time to go after HS players they might typically skip due to their likelihood of being taken high in the draft.

Though lots of players who might have turned pro are going to be looking for a college landing spot. Rosters are going to be bursting at the seams.
      Minimum of 5 rounds. Maximum of 10 rounds. Players who do not get drafted, but still wish to turn pro, can sign for a maximum of just $20,000. The Changes Made to the 2020 MLB Draft as a Result of COVID-19

http://twinsdaily.com/articles.html/...covid-19-r9169

The decision to have five-rounds, as opposed to ten-rounds will have a major impact on the 2020 MLB Draft. The biggest impact is on the 150 players who would have otherwise been drafted between rounds six and ten. If the draft is ten rounds, those players will be able to sign much larger contracts, as the slot values for those picks would range between $142,200 and $301,600 and could still sign for above slot value. However, if the draft is limited to five rounds, those players will only be able to sign for the undrafted maximum of $20,000, which could cause a large number of these players to pass on deals they would have otherwise signed.

Another impact that a five-round draft, as opposed to a ten-round draft, would have is the flexibility teams have early in the draft, as their bonus pools will shrink somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,000,000. What this does, is it makes it harder for teams to overspend on a prospect in the early rounds that fell to them, as they will have a harder time making up for it by under spending in later rounds. This could cause of a lot of high school talent (who normally teams are paying over slot for) to pass on signing a contract, and instead opt to go the college route.

A big factor that will drastically affect the MLB Draft is if the NCAA decides to grant an extra year of eligibility for NCAA Division I spring sport athletes, which includes college baseball. While it was previously considered to be a given that these athletes would get their year of eligibility back, financial concerns have caused this to come into question in the past week. One possibility is that seniors will be granted the extra year of eligibility, while other classes would lose that year of eligibility.

If the NCAA decides not to grant this extra year of eligibility, it would drastically increase the pool of players who will be looking to sign pro contracts, as all of the college seniors will be out of eligibility and look to continue their baseball careers at the professional level. If that is the case, we could see a large number of players signing deals, at or below the $20,000 threshold, as undrafted free agents.

Comment

Working...
      X