No announcement yet.

Baseball: Wichita State vs Texas Southern - Feb 21-23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First game where a Texas Southern opponent didn’t hit double digits in the run column.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

At this point it would appear that the Shocks will be depending in the pitching staff to carry them. Had a lot of base runners today but also stranded 11 base runners in 8 innings. So far the Shockers offense has not been very good cashing in on scoring opportunities.

Comment

Very likely, the Shox best two and very experienced hitters are injured. Paxton Wallace was a Preseason selection for All League AAC infielder and experienced Center fielder, Dave VanVooren are probably our two best hitters. We have very few reserves and the Center fielder replacement is a Freshman. Until we get them back, we are probably a weak hitting team. With them back, our hitting likely still won’t be great, but it should be better.

Comment

Yeah we have a few rally killers in this lineup although the sample size is very small at this point.

Maybe a bright sun shiny 60 degree day will get some bats going tomorrow. That and sacrificing a whole chicken maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            Had a lot of base runners today but also stranded 11 base runners in 8 innings.
            So that seems to me like a good problem to have? I know it sucks, but at least we are getting on base, right? It would _really_ suck if we weren't getting any hits.

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Well HCEW has said more than once that we're going to win with pitching and defense. Those 2 things will keep you in games and give your hitters a chance to win the game.

He's also said without much hesitation that he believes we'll get people on, and that ultimately driving them in is where the rubber meets the road. I'm not sure we're going to get on base a lot more than our opponents, but he sure as hell knows a lot more than I do. So far the Shocks have a shade higher OB% but a substantially higher hitting %.

Which leads us to pitching....not much more we can ask for there. Outside of 1.1 inning it's been damned near perfect. Fielding? 1 error, .992 That'll work.

So far they've done just about exactly what he said they'd do.

I do think this team will get better with the return of DVV and Paxton but this is a team that's going to need to manufacture runs.... stealing bases will help. The other thing to keep in mind that not only are those 2 (perhaps the 2 best hitters we have) out, but it also keeps us from having options. We can't force anything with PHs. That makes it a lot easier to pitch and change pitchers against us.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

So that seems to me like a good problem to have? I know it sucks, but at least we are getting on base, right? It would _really_ suck if we weren't getting any hits.
                Since everyone else is going to leave you hanging.

If youre leaveing to many guys on base it means you may run like Mays but you hit you like ****

Hitting really started to decline the last few Thomas years. Hasnt been addressed since really

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post

Since everyone else is going to leave you hanging.

If youre leaveing to many guys on base it means you may run like Mays but you hit you like ****

Hitting really started to decline the last few Thomas years. Hasnt been addressed since really
                  Oof.
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Oof.
                    You know, regardless if you really know or dont about baseball. I do love the game and enjoy talking about it. So fire away.

Comment

I tried sitting in the sun for as long as I could today but when the first base line seats lost the sun it got plumb chilly. Pitching started well but then it was like he couldn't find the plate for a while which prompted a visit to the mound by Cadena and ultimately MP. Runs will be a premium in the short run unless the Shox can figure a way to get people home. The out at home was an aggressive play by MS and was a bang bang play which I thought could have gone either way. The Pick off to end an inning was also pretty much close but was executed well by the ST pitcher. We picked up a couple of runs on fielding errors by ST so it could have been a much tighter game. Impressed with the fielding and especially the play of the second baseman fielding a grounder backhanded and pivoting and throwing the runner out at first. That is not an easy play. I have always liked low scoring games and it looks like I will really like this season if the first four games are any indication of what is to be. If the bull pen can find those two or three relievers and or closers I am indeed in for a fun season. Anyway I will be at the park tomorrow so lets get two. Go Shox

Comment

Forgot. Love the new artificial turf. I know the screen/netting has been extended down the right base line for awhile but it sure hampers the view of the batters box and is impossible to see the ball off the bat. So how much would one of those wire mesh nets cost to go along the right field base line? Also the stadium looks absolutely fantastic, great wonderful and any other adjective you want to use. It makes the whole thing look complete and actually makes each phase look like an integrated construction. Driving by on 21st street you can't appreciate how great it looks until you stand in the parking lot even with the north end of the seats and look at it all. By the way the view is great from inside the stadium as well. Go Shox

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                          At this point it would appear that the Shocks will be depending in the pitching staff to carry them. Had a lot of base runners today but also stranded 11 base runners in 8 innings. So far the Shockers offense has not been very good cashing in on scoring opportunities.
                          Need to be smarter. For example. Just dumb getting picked at second with two outs and the bases juiced. Just really no excuse for that.

Comment

Shockers are 2-2 after four games - as good a start as I hoped prior to the first game. If the Shocker pitching and overall play is as they performed last weekend, the Shocks should be 4-2 at the end of this series - a great start to HCEW first season.

I was ecstatic when EW signed to coach the Shockers and I remain convinced he will return the Shockers to the glory years enjoyed in the 1980's and early 1990's.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post

Need to be smarter. For example. Just dumb getting picked at second with two outs and the bases juiced. Just really no excuse for that.
                              Old habits die hard. We've seen uninspired and lazy base-running for multiple seasons.

To be fair, Gibby just doubled in AJ and was on second with nobody else on when he got picked off. Not being the fastest guy on the team he wanted to make sure he got a good lead, but yes it can't happen (except occasionally it will).

Hunter struggled as much as any player the last 2 seasons with the basics but I thought he made 2 solid plays yesterday in the field and a 2-5 day at the plate with 2 RBIs. I can forgive the extra lead where he was picked. I doubt it will be the habit it's been for the last 6 seasons.

Comment

Hmmm. Almost certain bases were loaded with two outs. There is just no room for error when the bats are quiet

Hate to nitpick. You are right. Gotta change habits. But another small detail but big deal is the leads with the infield drawn in earlier with bases loaded and no outs. We had NO lead at all from second with their infield in. That drives me nuts. Tons of room to get off. Gotta be aggressive and smart. Runs are a precious commodity. I just want to see good fundamental baseball. That is not talent dependent.

Comment

Working...
                                X