No announcement yet.

2019-20 Fall Ball and Preseason Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every time SB brings up severe weather or storms, nothing ever happens so we’re good.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
      Every time SB brings up severe weather or storms, nothing ever happens so we’re good.
      I wished I had that much power. But I hope you are right. I’m looking for a 80 degree afternoon to watch some baseball.

Comment

Hot dogs and a brewski. Mmmmm

Comment

"You can't change a culture by saying 'This is our culture,'" Wedge said. "You have to live it. You have to learn to live it first, and that's what we're in the process of doing."

"Everything is important," pitching coach Mike Pelfrey said. "I'm not just talking about on the field. Classroom. Being on time to weights. The locker room being cleaned up. Every little detail matters (to Wedge)."

A throw that hits the "R" in Shockers on the uniform is not as good as one that hits the "C" in the middle of the chest. It's a matter of a few inches. Those inches matter to Wedge, so they matter to everyone. Playing catch – the most basic baseball job – with purpose is valued.

"All these little details add up," Wedge said "It's not one big thing that happens. It doesn't work that way. The game's too hard. The baseball gods don't let that happen. It's all these little things that add up that allow you to be great in the end."

Being great around Eck Stadium starts with the humblest of jobs.

"Everything is really clean and organized and that's just the way Coach Wedge is," junior first baseman Garrett Kocis said. "Nothing on the floor. Chairs up. Lockers nice. Lights turned off. Laundry in. Keep care of your own backyard. Everything we do should be focused on getting better."

Wedge, the Shockers say, is naturally organized and meticulous. Add in his major-league experience as a player and manager and the result is a baseball planner who is used to running his operation with no room for sloppiness or half-measures. In his mind, it is a standard of professionalism and extends off the field into the locker room, classrooms and other facets of life.

"You can't change a culture by saying 'This is our culture,'" Wedge said. "You have to live it. You have to learn to live it first, and that's what we're in the process of doing."

The Shockers receive a schedule, for practice, weights, meetings, etc. that extends out 10 days. It is important to Wedge to respect their time. They know what is coming and can plan other aspects of their lives around that schedule.

Practices are described as designed to induce fatigue in order to teach the Shockers how to focus through tired legs and tired minds. The goal, Wallace knows, is to eliminate an error or running mistake in the ninth inning of a close game. Defense, an area in which Wichita State struggled in recent seasons, is an emphasis.

Comment

• WstateU
          WstateU commented
          Editing a comment
          https://media.giphy.com/media/Rxi58QcF8b2c8/giphy.gif

• Cdizzle
          Cdizzle commented
          Editing a comment
          I am

A) so excited

B) wondering what the eff was going on the last 6 years and why it was allowed to happen for 6 years.

I spent the last 5 years complaining about B. I'll focus on A.

Schwing

A new era of Wichita State baseball is slated to begin this Saturday, Sept. 21, when the Shockers host the Nebraska Cornhuskers in a 2 p.m. exhibition game at Eck Stadium, Home of Tyler Field.

"The first 2,000 fans through the gates will receive a commemorative Eric Wedge trading card.

Fans that show their Wedge trading card at the ticket office at any home regular-season baseball game this upcoming spring will receive $1 off any ticket. (*four tickets per transaction)"

There's a cool deal in there about showing the Wedge trading card for reduced ticket prices during the regular season.

THAT'S what I'm talking about. A little creativity that makes money for the university, makes my entertainment cheaper, and gets more people out to the park.
        Last edited by Cdizzle; September 21, 2019, 02:36 AM.

Comment

"If I'm going to call my own game, I have more conviction in my pitches and I have more trust in myself," senior pitcher Preston Snavely said.

Wedge returning pitch-calling to where it belongs. Hopefully this is a recruiting advantage to prospective catchers and eventually pitchers.

This all may fail spectacularly. But at least they are going to try it the right way and see what happens. I'm on board for that!
          Last edited by Cdizzle; September 21, 2019, 02:36 AM.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
            1972Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree. Mike Pelphrey mentioned this in the RH Podcast with Sully this past Monday. He seemed pretty happy about it as well.

nm
          Last edited by Cdizzle; September 21, 2019, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

I wished I had that much power. But I hope you are right. I’m looking for a 80 degree afternoon to watch some baseball.
            Looks like you may get your wish. Rains chances during game time are only 15% to 20%. Temps in the low 80's. It will be a little breezy with winds about 20 mph out of the south.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it as I have a family commitment at game time.

Comment

Are they inspecting everyone at the gate like basketball?

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                1972Shocker commented
                Editing a comment
                I doubt it. I think they have ot expect a crowd > 5,000 before they do that. They don't do that at volleyball or women's basketball games and I haven't been to a baseball game where they did that since they started that for men's basketball. Maybe they did the volleyball NCAA tournament games last year but I don't remember for sure.

1st inning. Execution. LOL

2nd inning. My kingdom for a catcher!

If we average 1 run an inning we will win a lot of games :)
              Last edited by Cdizzle; September 21, 2019, 02:37 PM.

Comment

If we average 1.4 runs allowed per inning we will win less games!

Gonna take a couple years to stock the staff. But that was already the case.

Comment

Shox grab a run on charity in the 6th and a couple on 3 singles and two SBs in the 7th to tighten things up at 5-7.

Comment

• William
                    William commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I like Vanderwhattever in Center, looks like a good hitter
                    Wallace is a defensive liability at 3rd, he cost us 3-4 outs in his time today
                    Killeen is a good looking young player I like his bat.
                    Cooper E should challenge for time.
                    Snavely needs to keep his heater out of the middle.

3,028 fans in attendance at today's exhibition game vs Nebraska. Nice showing Shocker fans.

I wasn't able to make it today. Looking at the box score looks like Shocker pitching kind of came and went. The first three guys, Eddy, Stuempfig and Snavely each went 2 innings and each had 1 good inning and 1 bad inning. Barnhouse, Marley and Haase had a decent stretch in the 7th, 8th and 9th innings. And Jake Hamilton, our probable Friday starter will not pitch this fall.

No Shocker errors over 12 innings was good to see.

15 hits over 12 innings wasn't terrible although only 2 of those were for extra bases and the Shocks did leave 13 runners stranded, 10 of which were in scoring position. So the Shocks had their chances. If the Shocks are not going to have an abundance of power they will need to hit better in the scoring situations.

Any thoughts or observations from those in attendance?

Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 21, 2019, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Nice turnout by the faithful that didn’t mind paying 5 bucks to sit and watch Shocker baseball. I was impressed with the solid hits through the Nebraska infield. Some nice base running except for one time when a runner was halfway home and was waved back to third. We hit the ball to a lot of outfielders and played pretty solid defense. Missed the cut off man many times. Sat with JJ and SB who predicted the rain would start at 5:00 but didn’t start until an hour later. Fun in the sun. Go Shocks

Comment

It was a mixed bag. I came away from that it will take some time.

1. The defense was alright. No errors (at least that show up in the box score). At times they didn't do the little things like hit cutoffs.
                      2. CF David Vanvooren doesn't look like he can cover a lot of ground. Didn't get to some balls that you would expect a good CF to get to. Vanvooren did hit a HR (line driver down the LF )
                      3. 3B Paxton Wallace made some good plays, but he didn't have the same type of arm as NU 3B Cam Chick who reminded me of Koyie Hill. Chick did throw a couple away, but he was trying to make a great play.
                      4. Hunter Gibson made some good defensive plays in RF.
                      5. The good thing with pitching was they only walked 3. But they were hittable (gave up some big bombs).
                      6. Eddy, Snavely and Stuempfig didn't look like they will improve on their stat line for next year.
                      7. Nebraska had about 20-25% of the fans at the game
                      8. WSU might need to have some cheerleaders to try re-teach the crowd how to respond to baseball game situations. There were no chants of "ball four" or anticipation of WSU striking out Nebraska hittings. The crowd was just taking it in.
                      9. Baserunning had its moments at the time (good and bad). I think it will be interesting to see how quickly Wedge gets things cleaned up now and between February.

Comment

Working...
                      X