Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019-20 Fall Ball and Preseason Discussion

Shockers to Host Nebraska in Fall Game Sept. 21

New Wichita State head baseball coach Eric Wedge will make his coaching debut as the Shockers host Nebraska in a fall exhibition game Saturday, Sept. 21, at 2 p.m. at Eck Stadium, Home of Tyler Field.

General admission tickets for the game will be just $5, and all paid Wichita State baseball season ticket holders for the 2020 season will receive free admission (*season ticket seat(s) not guaranteed for game).

Wichita State will also play a fall exhibition game at Missouri State Saturday, Oct. 5, at 6 p.m. at Hammons Field in Springfield, Mo.

It will be very interesting to see what kind of crowd this game will draw.

The Shocker Volleyball team will be playing Nebraska (ranked preseason #2 in the nation) in Lincoln that day as well. The time of that match has not yet been announced.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 21, 2019, 12:47 PM.

Where is that volleyball game?

Looks like I'd better check my calendar.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
      1972Shocker commented
      Editing a comment
      My bad. I meant to say that the Volleyball game is in Lincoln. I will add that to my post.

First practice this afternoon, the Wedge era begins!

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

The Shocker Volleyball team will be playing Nebraska (ranked preseason #2 in the nation) in Lincoln that day as well. The time of that match has not yet been announced.

I’m sorry but that’s irrelevant with respect to the crowd potential.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• 1972Shocker
        1972Shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        For the most part, probably.

• Cdizzle
        Cdizzle commented
        Editing a comment
        With it being an away game, I would think it mostly would not have an impact. Although, I still have a hard time remembering that volleyball is no longer on the radio for some reason. Listening to a volleyball match while taking in Wedge's first scrimmage sounds like a fine afternoon.

I hate to miss that road trip to Lincoln but I will be at the yard for this one.

Comment

"Regardless of what hand we've been dealt here, we're going to be successful." -HCEW

Comment

• WuDrWu
          WuDrWu commented
          Editing a comment
          They practiced today like Wedge's statement above. Fun to watch. 44 kids, I think all were in uniform, but I wouldn't swear to it.

There are 2 position players, Seth Morrow and Ryan Koval, who are both R-Fr outfileders. currently on the roster on goShockers.com that were not listed in Taylor Eldridge's tweet. Whether this indicates anything more than they just could not make practice is hard to say.

Comment

• WuDrWu
          WuDrWu commented
          Editing a comment
          They didn't make practice because they are not at WSU. There are many additions to be made to the roster.

Kevin Hooper could post up Austin Roccaforte all night long.

Comment

• Cdizzle
          Cdizzle commented
          Editing a comment
          But I don't care if Austin sucks at basketball. We've got that covered. Can he hit a D1 curveball? :)

• WuDrWu
          WuDrWu commented
          Editing a comment
          Good question. I didn't see any hitting. Pitchers will have Miguel Agilar nightmares throwing to him I bet.

Taylor Eldridge: WSU baseball starts practice: ‘This will be the most important fall we’ll ever have’

“This fall will be the most important fall we’ll ever have here,” Wedge said. “We’re talking about creating a culture, about driving success, about helping these young people understand what it’s going to take to become the best versions of themselves. A lot of what’s going to happen here this fall is less about what’s happening (on the field) versus what’s happening everywhere else.

“Ultimately, we feel strongly that what you do off the field influences what you do on the field and vice versa. We want them to understand what hard work truly is and ultimately have pride in being a Wichita State Shocker.”

Comment

BTW — Catcher Chris Diehl is a new name. He is a transfer from Utah by way of Fort Collins CO and Arizona Central College. Only tallied three ABs last year for the Utes. Prior to that he hit .291 in the JUCO ranks.
          “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            Taylor Eldridge: WSU baseball starts practice: ‘This will be the most important fall we’ll ever have’

“This fall will be the most important fall we’ll ever have here,” Wedge said. “We’re talking about creating a culture, about driving success, about helping these young people understand what it’s going to take to become the best versions of themselves. A lot of what’s going to happen here this fall is less about what’s happening (on the field) versus what’s happening everywhere else.

“Ultimately, we feel strongly that what you do off the field influences what you do on the field and vice versa. We want them to understand what hard work truly is and ultimately have pride in being a Wichita State Shocker.”
            O/U WSU makes a regional 2.5 years

Dude gets me hyped every time he says something.

Comment

• WuDrWu
              WuDrWu commented
              Editing a comment
              I'll take the under. I just believe Eric will find a way to get into the tourney one of the next 2 seasons. We have enough talent to be competitive. We play strong enough competition to be considered. We just have to win some games. We were 83 in Warren Nolan last season. Heck, just coaching might give us 4 more wins and put that team around 60 then it's not far from at large territory. These guys will be competitive, sooner than later.

• WSUwatcher
              WSUwatcher commented
              Editing a comment
              Definitely take the under on that one.

I want to run through a brick wall for HCEW and I don't even play for team. So excited for the program and to see where things go.

Btw, does anyone have a schedule idea for next season? I am hoping there is a west coast swing. I didn't see anything other than the two exhibition games listed on goshockers.

Comment

• WuDrWu
              WuDrWu commented
              Editing a comment
              I think we are playing Reno at some point, but don't hold me to that. IF we do, I think that's as west as we go in 2020.

• MikeKennedyRulZ
              MikeKennedyRulZ commented
              Editing a comment
              That would be great! Not a bad trip. Depending on time of year and snow conditions I can pack my skis and hit he slopes in Tahoe or take the camper.

Pretty much the same was what was in Taylor Eldridge's article 2-days ago but you can hear it straight form the horse's mouth here:

Comment

Decided to take my daughter to her first baseball game tomorrow. She's three and it's time. She said she wants to wear her Shocker hat backwards and take her glove.

I think we're both pretty excited!

:wsu_posters:

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X