2019/2020 Coaching Staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
    A name I'm not sure I've seen brought up much, if at all: Russ Morman.

He's a legacy guy with a heck of a 'hitting coach' resume. Not sure if he is still plugged in with the program or not. In fact, my google-fu is kinda failing for much recent info at all.

Player page for Russ Morman [1982-1999] with MLB, Minor, College and summer league baseball stats along with biography, draft info, salary,transactions,awards and more!

Obviously not a lot there says college coach. But the dude could hit the heck out of the ball, and given how long he was in AA and AAA ball as a hitting coach, I'm guessing he could teach hitting the ball, too.

Really, really curious what kind of pro/amateur, legacy/non-legacy, experience/youth mix Wedge decides on.
    I think he will go with regional people, maybe formerly tied to WSU, maybe not, but will know KS, OK, TX, MO. They will have a track record of high performance in college/pros. Character matters. Winning matters after that. I think the coaches will have done both in their life.

Comment

I think we are way too excited about an "All-Star Cast" of former Shockers, to be honest. I hope he just finds the best guys for the jobs. I want WSU to win again.

That said, I really want a decision to be made so I can be more excited.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatWhiteBuffalo View Post
        I think we are way too excited about an "All-Star Cast" of former Shockers, to be honest. I hope he just finds the best guys for the jobs. I want WSU to win again.

That said, I really want a decision to be made so I can be more excited.
        I don't disagree. That's why I keep trying to point out I'm very open to outside guys. But I don't know those names. They'll be some guy Wedge met 18 years ago and thinks is an awesome coach or talent evaluator. Which will be great. And I'll look up that resume when I know the name. I'm just throwing out the names I do know in an attempt to keep talking about something fun that isn't the merits of an Arkansas coaches musings on Gene. I was really surprised when I looked up Morman's resume. If nothing else, I've learned something about what a number of former WSU All-Stars have been up to for the past 30 years, which has been fun.

Comment

It's Pelf!

https://www.kwch.com/content/sports/...511253831.html

Hopefully he can put his stamp on the staff this year following a 5.39 team ERA with only one pitcher below 4.00 on the roster. Probably a trial year for him, I would think. Keep some continuity with the current pitching staff and with the 10 arms in this recruiting class and see how they get along.
          Last edited by Wuzee; June 13, 2019, 03:15 PM.
          “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Very interesting.

So that's +1 for legacy, and doesn't really fit into either 'experience' category.

Also, I'm no mind-reader, but it seems like it would be weird to announce Pelfrey staying and not announce Esposito staying if that were the case.

Comment

Highly doubtful Sam stays. Mike has been the plan for pitching coach since wedge took the job.

Comment

• WuDrWu
                WuDrWu commented
                Editing a comment
                I can promise you that ADDB wasn't going to relive that mistake. There's absolutely no doubt HCEW was hired with total and complete power to hire his own staff from top to bottom. That Mike Pelfrey has been chosen to be the pitching coach speaks only to Mike Pelfrey's skill set and how he's (apparently) made a very strong impression on the new leader. There was nothing in the works prior.

Originally posted by shocker22 View Post
              Highly doubtful Sam stays. Mike has been the plan for pitching coach since wedge took the job.
              The question to me is if that plan started in May or in Summer of '16.

Comment

The sad part is that Pelfrey will still have the best heater of anyone in a Shocker Uniform next year. Hopefully we can find an arm or two challenge him ASAP.

Comment

• WuDrWu
                  WuDrWu commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Starters that throw 95-96 don't grow on trees. Finding one, I'm sure, is a top priority.

To me the best legacy option for an assitant coach to fill out the staff is Mark Standiford. While I would like to see that I would not be upset if it did not happen or if Wedge goes a non-legacy route nor do I have any idea if Mark is even interested in the position.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  To me the best legacy option for an assitant coach to fill out the staff is Mark Standiford. While I would like to see that I would not be upset if it did not happen or if Wedge goes a non-legacy route nor do I have any idea if Mark is even interested in the position.
                  He's #3 on my list of legacy guys. As you say, I'm also open to other people. Just talking about the names I know. Hoop and Morman would be my 1-2. No idea if any of the 3 would be interested in that position. I think any of the 3 would be the proverbial home run.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                    1972Shocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The reason I mention Mark is that he actually has fairly extensive college recruiting experience. Yes he has been recruiting to a much lower level but he still no doubt has built a pretty extensive recruiting network. I just don't see Hooper leaving his job with the Padres to be an assistant but I could be wrong about that. Russ Mormon is an interesting name that has only surfaced recently. Wedge clearly is not rushing into these decisions so I am comfortable with whatever diredction he takes.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 14, 2019, 01:19 PM.

So does HCEW go with a more seasoned recruiter in the other hire(s)? He and Pelph don't have much time under their belts. Or do they just assume they'll get it and it's not a skill that needs to be "hired" for?

Comment

That leaves:

Assistant Coach
                    DOBO
                    Volunteer Assistant Coach

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                      That leaves:

Assistant Coach
                      DOBO
                      Volunteer Assistant Coach
                      Does it?

Comment

Mike was interviewed on The Drive this afternoon. He said it’s nice to recruit guys that can throw 92 mph but not if they can’t spot it. Better to recruit guys who can throw 88-89 and spot it

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

Does it?
                          Unless Wedge has hired the replacements and it has just not been announced.

Comment

Working...
                          X