2019/2020 Coaching Staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019/2020 Coaching Staff

I would suspect that we should start hearing decisions on coaching staff within the next week or two. Unfortunately the move to add a third assistant coach was voted down earlier this year.

hopefully we will start to hear some noise on this front.

I am just throwing out an idea (I think it has merit) on the coaching staff. We have had (what is called) a Volunteer Assistant for quite some time. I believe that the VA has been compensated at around $20,000 per year.

Furthermore, Mike Pelphrey has made millions during his long major league career and if he has made good business decisions, he probably isn't coaching for the money. While he deserves anything he is offered, he may not be chosen to remain on the staff because he is an inexperienced AC, and I would imagine he is learning recruiting on the job too.

A possibility may be to put him on as the Volunteer Assistant and hire two other Assistant Coaches that are more experienced. Just a thought.

Comment

This is like the Evan Wessel giving up his scholly discussion. On the surface, it's awesome for WSU. However, I don't think you can or should do that. Pay anyone their worth. If Coach Pelfrey can do the job, let him do it and pay the man. I don't care how much he's made. I feel like any other way opens the door for all kinds of problems. And I get what you're saying. I just don't think it's practical or right.

Comment

• BostonWu
        BostonWu commented
        Editing a comment
        The other analogy from delusional faction of Chiefs Kingdom is PM signing a hometown discount in order to surround himself with better talent. Last time I checked his significant other didn't make more than him (aka Tom Brady)

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      This is like the Evan Wessel giving up his scholly discussion. On the surface, it's awesome for WSU. However, I don't think you can or should do that. Pay anyone their worth. If Coach Pelfrey can do the job, let him do it and pay the man. I don't care how much he's made. I feel like any other way opens the door for all kinds of problems. And I get what you're saying. I just don't think it's practical or right.
      And one.
      "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

I agree in principle. Though, not having seen the contract, who knows if WSU is actually paying Wedge his worth. I agree that trying to get extra folks attached to the program in positions paying less than they are worth sounds like a recipe for creating more problems than it solves. Unless it is volunteered. In which case, they are going to need all hands on deck to get this thing going again, so maybe every little bit helps. The last few months has definitely demonstrated that there are a lot of folks from the Stephenson fraternity willing to put their money and reputations on the line in an attempt to restore the program.

I'm extremely curious who fills out the staff, for lots of reasons. WSU fraternity? Age? College experience? MLB playing/coaching/scouting experience? Seeing what that mix ends up looking like is highly intriguing. People keep bringing up recruiting. I'm not worried about needing help recruiting. The man can clearly command a room and sell a vision. That doesn't mean he'll land every player he goes after, or go after all the right players. But decent ballplayers that buy what he's selling should make for a team that's at least fun to get behind. I like to think about the first 2-3 Marshall years. Ramon Clemente wasn't going to get us to the F4, but dangit if he wasn't fun to root for. If you're having trouble translating that to baseball, consider that Baseball Clemente isn't going to hit you 18 HRs, but he knows to tag up from 3rd with less than 2 outs and can hit the cutoff man.

What he may need help with early on is the logistics of the college baseball season. What's the calendar? When are the recruiting periods, signing periods, when to take a vacation? How to set up a schedule? Luckily, I think there is someone already around the athletic department, getting paid, that could probably lend a hand with all that. And who I think would be happy to hold that role at this point. Also, while that stuff is a lot to take in on day 1, it is logistics based on a rulebook. You don't exactly need a dedicated rocket scientist to get it in order.

Comment

I read an article out of Arkansas that mentioned HCTB getting fired and Dave VanHorn said he thought he should have gotten the last year. It wasn't terribly flattering towards WSU. My only point is that not everyone out there is rooting for us. I could see some people, perhaps, backing out of scheduling etc.

Whoever HCEW hires, they are going to be busy for quite awhile. We haven't even discussed incoming recruits and I'd say it's a mortal lock at least 1 or 2 will change their minds, it just happens when there is a coaching change.

Comment

• ShockTalk
            ShockTalk commented
            Editing a comment
            Did VanHorn happen to give any logical reason other than being an Arkansas good ol' boy? The man got paid and with his level of salary, got more than he earned. For what possible reason could other schools be down on us for this?

• WuDrWu
            WuDrWu commented
            Editing a comment
            It was simply a comment based on the way they finished the season. Clearly DVH is a fan of TB and it's no surprise he took that stance. Heck, he may hire TB back for all I know. DVH was not terribly complimentary of Gene either. If I can find the article I'll post it.

I'm happy Cdizzle is back.

That's all.

Comment

I read an article out of Arkansas that mentioned HCTB getting fired and Dave VanHorn said he thought he should have gotten the last year. It wasn't terribly flattering towards WSU. My only point is that not everyone out there is rooting for us. I could see some people, perhaps, backing out of scheduling etc.
            LMAO. WGAF what Van Horn thinks? What was his basis for thinking Butler deserved 1 more year? Because it was just 1 more year? I know he was just backing up his buddy, but why don’t you keep your mouth shut Dave? Mind your business.

Since he apparently thinks Butler is elite, I expect him to fire his current assistant and immediately hire the legendary Todd Butler. He’s worth that much, right Dave?
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Also, when will the details of the contract be released? Does it normally take this long to find out what the salary, incentives, etc are?
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

It also wasn't based in reality.

"I just felt like they should have given him one more year because he'd shown so much progress." -DVH

There isn't any way to spin that so that it's based in the real world. Just because a coach is friends with Butler and doesn't like Stephenson doesn't make them right. It doesn't make them a bad person either. To your point, it may have impact. But then that's on them as much as WSU. And frankly, I'm good with not kowtowing to the Texas' and LSU's ever again so we can be all buddy-buddy. It's time for WSU to win games. If that pisses people off, all the better. I don't expect any other D1 program to be rooting for WSU to succeed. Frankly, unless one is a Van Horn or Butler apologist, that entire article comes off as less flattering for Van Horn than for Wichita State. Apparently Van Horn was still riding the excuse train several of us jumped off of several years ago.

Whoever HCEW hires, they are going to be busy for quite awhile. We haven't even discussed incoming recruits and I'd say it's a mortal lock at least 1 or 2 will change their minds, it just happens when there is a coaching change.
                100%. I suspect some will change their minds and some will have their minds changed for them. That absolutely happens with coaching changes across the board in college athletics. Wedge made an interesting comment about adjusting the roster and 'being efficient with our roster' in his interview with Kennedy. I have thoughts on what that could mean, but I'm curious to see what plays out.
                Last edited by Cdizzle; June 7, 2019, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Well I’m not too worried about what Dave “The Butcher “ Van Horn thinks.

Comment

LOL!! Van Horn should set up a side hussle as a comedian. Of course he wants Butler to get the last year. Because having WSU down is good for Arkansas and the longer he can keep them down the better for him. Van Horn is about as slimy and douchy as they come.

Comment

• Topshock
                      Topshock commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, and he is a perfect fit for Arkansas.

Here's another gem from Van Horn from the article:

"Coach Stephenson did a great job there, but when he left the program he didn't leave on good terms," Van Horn said. "He was mad at everybody. He let everybody have it, was blasting them in the media.

"That wasn't good for whoever came in next ... to follow that volatile situation."

Right, that's why Butler couldn't accomplish squat for 6 years, because Gene left mad.

Comment

• ShockerFever
                      ShockerFever commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Was Gene supposed to be happy after the way he was cast off? I’d probably be cold too if I gave 35 years to a program and was courted off after a regional berth in the manner it happened. And who’s to say the athletic department wasn’t just as icy towards him?

Gene had NOTHING to do with Butler’s sucky job status. He sucked at McNeese and he sucked for 6 years here. The program is unquestionably worse off than it was 6 years ago.

• WuDrWu
                      WuDrWu commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Gene had 3 choices when they made the change. Support the program he built, attack the program he built, or stay away. He chose a mix of the latter 2 and contributed to the continued downfall. Not most responsible, but a contributor. Dislike it all you want, argue all you want, but those are the facts.

But by all means, continue the strawman arguments.

• C0|dB|00ded
                      C0|dB|00ded commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Gene built the pond so Gene can piss in the pond. That's just the facts. I'll take Gene's National championship and his pissing any day over most alternatives. With the new staff in place we can rest assured that his bladder has run dry.

T

...:cool:

LOL!!!!

"Todd's a really good baseball coach," Van Horn said. "I've been around a lot of good coaches, and he's one of the best."

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                      C0|dB|00ded commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Jesus Christ.

T

...:cool:

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                    Wedge made an interesting comment about adjusting the roster and 'being efficient with our roster' in his interview with Kennedy. I have thoughts on what that could mean, but I'm curious to see what plays out.
                    I thought that comment was interesting as well although not real sure what HCEW was thinking or alluding to. Like you say we'll see how that play out.

Comment

Working...
                    X