2019/2020 Roster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019/2020 Roster

There are 5 non seniors that were listed on the 19 roster that are not on the 20 roster. I think it is safe to say they had already chosen to move on.

Carson Cox
    Noah Croft
    Miller Pleiman,
    Jake Plastiak
    Mason Miller
    Last edited by shocker22; June 7, 2019, 08:58 AM.

Little surprised about Noah. Great kid but where was he going to get innings? Hope he gets to play a lot somewhere. Disappointed to see Plastiak go. Pleiman didn't hide the fact he wanted to transfer, he's very confident in his skill set. Mason is a amazing kid who was happy to catch warm up. He knew he wasn't a D1 player. Happy to be around the team for a year. Don't know enough about Carson to comment.

Comment

So Doc do you follow all of our athletes because between you and 1972 I can pretty much know what’s going on. Thanks to the both of you

Comment

• WuDrWu
        WuDrWu commented
        Editing a comment
        '72 does a lot better job at it than I do, no doubt. I will never shy away from the truth that I'm extremely fortunate to be in a position to "hear" things from time to time. Especially about a program that I have followed and loved since I was, as forevershockerfan would say, knee high to a grasshopper. It's a lot of fun to be close to so many really good people. There's so much more to these relationships than just winning, although winning is important. It also hurts a lot when I hear things like Teddy come out.

I wish I had the time to follow all the sports, maybe I will be lucky enough some day to have the time. But for now I count my blessings that I can do what I get to do, and I thank everyone else for what they do too to keep us all informed.

Cal Carver is moving on.

The Valley News is the daily newspaper and website of the Upper Valley, serving communities in Vermont and New Hampshire.
      “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

The writing on the wall, if you are not strike thrower (e.g. a competitor) there is no place on the Wedge lead team.

Comment

Also, it appears recruit Austen Seidel, from Cloud County, is headed to Tarleton State.
          “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• Wuzee
            Wuzee commented
            Editing a comment
            Extreeeeeemely interesting. ;)

• shockfan89_
            shockfan89_ commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmm. I wonder if he went there because of their new coach???

• Windiwu
            Windiwu commented
            Editing a comment
            Their new coach is the guy who is coming here?

2019 Quinton Hall is a decommit. That makes 4 decommits from the 2019 class (Adamiak, Hall, Seidel and Burgess)

Jake Hamilton, the NJCAA All American who was drafted, still hasn't signed with the Rangers. The signing deadline is July 12 at 5 p.m. It appears that Jake's dad, Scott, played for Enos Seymour at OU in the mid-1980s, so he's probably got a really good idea of what WSU will be about with Wedgie and Scooter on board.

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

The one theme from the new coaching staff that seems to consistently hinted about is managing the roster in a way where the amount of over-recruiting might be minimal.

Back in November after the 18-man recruiting class was announced (and that did not include Mateo Martinez, John Huff and Jake Hamilton who commited later) shockfan89_ posted that the Shocks would be 20 over the roster limit for the 2020 season less any non-senior drafts and other roster losses.

With Alex Segal and MItchell Walters being our only non-senior drafts and adding Martinez, Huff and Hamilton the Shocks were looking at being as many as 21 players over the limit for the 2020 season. Something had to give one way or the other in any case. The decommits are not surprising at all especially combining the oversigning with the change in coaching regime.

Hopefully, we retain most of Butler's top recruits but we are a long way from being short on numbers.

Comment

There's also going to be a movement from 3 year players to 4 year players. You win with juniors and seniors and this staff wants those kind of kids. If it turns out they are good enough to be drafted high, then so be it, but the focus will be different.

Comment

Originally posted by Wuzee View Post
              2019 Quinton Hall is a decommit. That makes 4 decommits from the 2019 class (Adamiak, Hall, Seidel and Burgess)
              It is my understanding that Quinton Hall was not a decommit, he was told by Coach Wedge that his scholarship was no longer available and that he should go play 2-3 years of Juco ball before WSU would look at him again. Not exactly what I would expect for one of the top OF in Kansas.
              -Aaron Bushell
              aaronbushell.com

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                WSUwatcher commented
                Editing a comment
                Hold on, Bushell: 2-3 years (!) of juco ball? You only get two years of juco eligibility maximum.

Originally posted by Bushell View Post

It is my understanding that Quinton Hall was not a decommit, he was told by Coach Wedge that his scholarship was no longer available and that he should go play 2-3 years of Juco ball before WSU would look at him again. Not exactly what I would expect for one of the top OF in Kansas.
              Anything I say is speculation, but Quinton very likely would have been one of the cut players who would have transferred out at semester to a Junior College. Even though I haven't seen him play or am i an evaluator, this sounds like some of the changes Wedge was talking about regarding the number of players recruited.

Comment

Yep. Just a casualty of Wedge's recruiting philosophy vs. Butler's. I don't think he will over recruit. Better to be honest with the kid now.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushell View Post

That could be true, I suppose. We've got Jake Owens coming in with an already crowded outfield.

I was going off of what Quinton posted on Twitter. (Either way, we knew there was going to be some shakeup. It's just natural in this situation.)

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• Cdizzle
                    Cdizzle commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Tomato, potato. What's he going to say? We'll just have to see where the dust settles in a few months.

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                  Yep. Just a casualty of Wedge's recruiting philosophy vs. Butler's. I don't think he will over recruit. Better to be honest with the kid now.
                  I would advise to wait and see if he won't ever over recruit. When you have years when you have multiple Juniors and Seniors that may be drafted (which is what Wedge has said he wants to work to have), one doesn't want to be totally short handed. However, we would have 40+++ players on the roster if Wedge and staff didn't make some decisions noiw. 2,3, or 4 is one thing but double figures is not a good look and makes players unhappy, and less apt to put everything out for the team and coaching staff. A few may want to redshirt or maybe go to a Junior College. Even some Junior Colleges have redshirted some kids in the past.

Comment

I work with someone who had this situation happen to him at a D1 school. The coach over recruited, let it be known he did, and then the guys who thought they were going to be drafted high, weren't drafted til later. but they found out they no longer had scholarships either.

Comment

Working...
                    X