No announcement yet.

Day of Redemption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We used to make fun of SIU and Missouri State for being too cheap and cash-strapped to get rid of their basketball coaches, and to think we would be in the same situation as those mid-majors says we aren’t as major as we like to think we are. I don’t care about that dumbass Sexton giving him a dumbass contract, you bite the bullet now to help save the baseball program. Cash-strapped? Well, having 58 people attending baseball games for the last 4 years probably hasn’t helped. You want to continue that trend?.. then you “save” yourself a few bucks and keep Butler another year and endure another season of little league attendance, a huge hit on recruiting, and digging the hole deeper to get out of. It would be the biggest blunder in WSU sports history to keep this guy another year. I’m extremely alarmed that the rumored threshold to keep Butler was finishing 8th place in a 9-team conference to make the postseason tournament. Is that really a precedent Boatramp wants to set for WSU baseball going forward? I mean, are you ****ing kidding me? What does this guy actually do for the university, other than sit on Twitter and chastise people who make fun of the asinine decisions that he makes?

Low-major in-game production for basketball
    Mid-major handing of the baseball program
    Boatramp is developing quite a resume here. He better make the correct decision and put on his big boy pants for once instead of hiding behind his boy Butler and helping him tie his shoes.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by UCONN_Husky View Post
      Who do you guys think would be your top target to replace him?
      Boatramp or Butler?

I think most have ideas to keep it within the WSU family. Kevin Hooper is a former WSU player and former manager of an independent team here that did incredibly well. He’s currently working on the Padres organization as an infield coach. He was whiffed on last time because he hasn’t coached college. I think his charisma and fire would do well in college. There’s a few others, more former players that are mentioned a lot. 40 former Stephenson players ponied up to bring another addition to our baseball facilities. You would think we would be going into the family tree.

Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• shockerfanmas
        shockerfanmas commented
        Editing a comment
        Fever, serious question. It's not going to happen, I know this and you know this, but what about a guy like Bill Pintard. His success with the Santa Barbara Foresters has been amazing. He seems to know how to get the best of his players. A good example is Luke Ritter. Not the best at WSU, but when he has gone to Santa Barbara for the summer, he tears it up. At least I'm pretty sure he has the last couple summers. And, Pintard seems to love Wichita. Again, it's a completely off the wall thought

• NCAABound
        NCAABound commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes that is a crazy off the wall idea. But its 100x better than hiring a failure from low D1 to a 20 year contract!

I didn't really have the time/patience/desire to read every post in this 3 page thread but... if Butler isn't gone by next week CB is headin' up to the ol' Shocker offices and having a sit down with the amateur-in-chief.

T

...:cool:

Comment

You guys think I'm bullshittin' eh?

Anybody who's interested in having an "informational chat" with the shot caller can ride with me if Mini-B's trebuchet is not locked and FULLY loaded by next week. We'll meet at The Field House on 17th... get some liquid courage first and then charge the fortress.

We can do it after June so maybe we get lucky and see a summer scrimmage at the same time - killing two birds with one stone.

T

Comment

• Shocker85
        Shocker85 commented
        Editing a comment
        You don't have the balls.

• C0|dB|00ded
        C0|dB|00ded commented
        Editing a comment
        He don't know me very well... do he?

Wanna come? I'd rather go as a group. It would be novel and fun!

T

I see a couple of reasons why I would want to keep Butler.

The team ends the season with a win on June 26th. I think everyone can safely say this is not going to happen.

The other is if we have a situation where is next coach saddled with a situation where he can't succeed or fail on his terms, for example if he is told he HAS to keep Pelfery as the pitching coach. If you are not going to give the next coach every opportunity to succeed, then lets just keep failing with what we got.

Comment

• ShockTalk
        ShockTalk commented
        Editing a comment
        Your second example is what bit us in the arse the last go-around. It reduced the interested field of candidates thereby increasing the cost and length of contract of many of those still interested in the job to allow them time to rebuild if the BK thing didn't work out.

He has to go!! No matter what the outcome of the conference tournament is. It's been 6 LONG years with at best no progress and likely a regression in every aspect, except maybe recruiting. Which further points to his ineptitude as a coach. How any one could think this clown should return is beyond my comprehension.

Comment

Momentum is building like a tsunami

Comment

• shockfan89_
          shockfan89_ commented
          Editing a comment
          Other than not specifically stating we are in year 6 of a 7 year contract, or knowing the buy-out amount, they had a pretty good discussion and finally made it to the correct conclusion. Bruce seemed like he was more there than Paul, but really how can you reach any other conclusion.

Under .500 record over 6 years
          Only 2 seasons over .500
          under .500 finish in conference play every year except year 1
          7th place finish last year in AAC with 11 draft picks
          8th place finish this year, one inning away from last place finish

• SB Shock
          SB Shock commented
          Editing a comment
          It sound like Bruce May have heard something with him talking about “money raised” and “legacy hire”......

• 1972Shocker
          1972Shocker commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for reminding me why I don't listen to that show anymore. Paul Savage is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me.

Pretty clear Bruce is ready. Also clear they haven't broached the topic due to Shane. Savage is just making it up as he goes along and adds little.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
          Bruce absolutely slammed the door here. He was on point with everything except the "Boatright isn't a wilting flower" type. If that were true, he would have been a man and axed Butler a year ago.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Bruce isn’t going to make the comment about his former team unless he knows exactly which way the wind is blowing. Shane of course can’t say anything.
            Very promising imo.

Comment

We fired a HOF coach - one of the most well-known in the history of college baseball - a couple of weeks after an NCAA appearance. Five and six years removed from two Super Regional appearances.

Surely we’re not keeping this guy after winning a couple games in the conference tournament, after six years of sitting at home in the post season?

Comment

• Shocker85
                Shocker85 commented
                Editing a comment
                This has nothing to do with Stephenson's accomplishments. Nothing. Stupid to even make a comparison.

• SHOCKvalue
                SHOCKvalue commented
                Editing a comment
                What are you going off on?

T minus 1

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                We fired a HOF coach - one of the most well-known in the history of college baseball - a couple of weeks after an NCAA appearance. Five and six years removed from two Super Regional appearances.

Surely we’re not keeping this guy after winning a couple games in the conference tournament, after six years of sitting at home in the post season?
                Boatramp isn’t that dumb. Surely not.

And we’re not even gonna win 2 games in the conference tournament.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

The minute after the Shockers lose tomorrow, I better see a press release that Butler has been let go. If not, I will begin to worry. I will then expect to see a press release on the day after Memorial Day. If that doesn't happen, then I will really begin to worry as I can't think of one reason to delay this thing.

Comment

I can’t see anything happening until they’re back in town for awhile, but that’s no reason to worry. There’s just no call for it. He had a more than fair shot and didn’t succeed, but by all accounts he’s a decent man who recruited good kids and ran a clean program. It’s time for him to go, but they won’t and shouldn’t be aggressive in firing him.
                    “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Working...
                    X