Shocks at Missouri State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks at Missouri State

Normally (at least in recent years) the Shocks would be underdogs playing Missouri State. Not the case this year. Not that the Shocks have been fearsome especially down the stretch this year as they are 3-14 in their last 17 games. However, Missouri State has been even worse than the Shocks this year. The Bears are 15-31 overall and 6-9 in the Valley. The Bears are hitting .237 as a team and have a team ERA of 6.59 on the season.

It's a pretty meaningless game for both teams but anytime you lace up the cleats you want to win. I would think that this is a game where the Shocks should be the favorite even in Springfield.

Tommy Barnhouse, who has been injured, and Preston Snavely will each go no more than 3 innings for the Shocks no doubt so they might be available if needed in the upcoming ECU series.

MIssouri State's starter, Zach Gibbs,will be starting his 1st game of the season and has only pitched 10 innings on the year and he as an ERA of 13.94 which kind of tells you that the Bears are out of pitching.

Shocker hitters coming of a 12-run outburst in the final game of the UConn series should continue to rock and roll tonight.

Whether or not this is a good warm up for ECU is debatable.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 7, 2019, 06:12 PM.

Although MVC RPI is just below AAC...so could be a good matchup.

Comment

Shockers leading 9-4 in the bottom of 10th. Looking to extend their winning streak to 2 games.

Comment

Weird game in some respects.

Missouri State went the first 8.2 innings with 3 pitchers that had ERA's of 13.94, 9.78 and 8.86. Missouri State brought in their closer who came in with an ERA of 3.73 who got the final out in the 9th inning but gave up 3 runs before he left the game with 2 outs. The guy who relieved him came into the game with a 15.43 gave up a single and a double to score 2 inherited runners before getting the 3rd out.

But the real story of he game may have been in the bottom of the 9th.

GoShockers.com describe it as follows:

With the game still knotted at four, the Bears had the bases loaded with one out in the bottom of the ninth inning, but Walters tallied back-to-back strikeouts to send the game to extra innings.
        Missouri State's website described it as follows:

MSU appeared poised to walk off with a victory in the ninth after loading the bases with one out on a Millas single and bases on balls to Kotowski and Anthony Herron, Jr.

Pinch hitter Jordan Fitzpatrick then worked a 3-0 count against Shocker closer Mitchell Walters (2-4) and appeared to have drawn the game-clinching walk on the ensuing offering. But home plate umpire Ramon Hernandez saw it differently, calling the Bears sophomore out on a pair of shoestring strikes for the second out, before punching out Faith as well to end the inning.
        The Missouri State article is accurate. Fitzpatrcik, a 0.096 hitter, was rung up on ball four in the bottom of the 9th with the bases loaded. 2 of the 3 strike calls on the next batter were also pretty questionable.

The bottom line is the home plate umpire probably did steal this game from Missouri State. That home plate umpire had his issues. Todd Butler was kicked out of the game and 2 Missouri State players were kicked out of the game by the home plate umpire.

Missouri State does use a replay system but it is located close to the left field corner. So when a call is challenged it takes about as long for the umps to get to the replay station as it does to make the review.

Probably the most positive thing to come out of this game was Luke Ritter going 3-5. Maybe that will get him going again although he wasn't exactly facing stellar pitching in this game.

Comment

• WuDrWu
          WuDrWu commented
          Editing a comment
          Not only all that, Katzfey was called out for running inside the line, Cadena was called out for interfering with the catcher that cost a runner at 3rd, 1 out situation in either the 8th or 9th inning. And AJ didn't bat in the right spot, Kroft moved up one, struck out then KG came out, pointed it out and instead called AJ out, Kroft batted again and singled home the 3rd run of the inning. I have no idea if that was the correct application of whatever rule that hasn't been used since T ball was cited.

• 1972Shocker
          1972Shocker commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought the call on Katzfey was a bit questionable although he was clearly running inside the line. Not a call worth geeting tossed over IMO. I thought the interference on Cadena was the right call. I did not see the batting out-of-order thing but I guess that worked out for the Shocks although at that point they were already in good shape.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 8, 2019, 04:23 PM.

• 1972Shocker
          1972Shocker commented
          Editing a comment
          BTW, the home run Luke hit to left center was bomb.

Swing the bat. The 4th pitch was low, but swing the bat. That pitch was the worst of the "no calls". 3-2 count call was iffy too but closer. Both pitches were over but broke extra low late. I'm not saying they were strikes and I'm tough on the guys to freaking throw strikes, but swing the bat. Todd deserved to get run, he was wrong. The 2 MSU players that were tossed have nothing to complain about. Absolutely can't be a player and challenge balls and strikes, and they both did.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
          1972Shocker commented
          Editing a comment
          I was a bit surprised when HCKG put in that .096 hitter to bat in that situation. I guess he was going for the lefty vs righty match up. Not sure. I actually was a bit surprised they didn't try a squeeze play with that guy up. Maybe the put him in because he was a small guy and perhaps that were playing for a walk.

The Shocks certainly took advantage of the new life they received in the 10th.

Definitely pulling for SwoMo here. Need the Full Monty capitulation. Wanting a crash so hard that lifetime lessons are learned and jobs are lost at the highest levels of the athletic department.

T

...:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
          Definitely pulling for SwoMo here. Need the Full Monty capitulation. Wanting a crash so hard that lifetime lessons are learned and jobs are lost at the highest levels of the athletic department.

T

Unfortunately, MSU blew it last night.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
            C0|dB|00ded commented
            Editing a comment
            I get so ***** angry when I think about the condition of Shocker baseball. Do you know that when I hear Mike Kennedy's voice on the radio now I get irritated that my talk show program is being interrupted and I immediately switch to a music channel? Associating Mike's godly broadcasting delivery with negativity is where this incompetent athletic administration has put me. And nobody acts like they give a ****!

Okay, time for CB to leave this forum again... just about to Hulk Smash the place.

T

1972Shocker posted: "
          I was a bit surprised when HCKG put in that .096 hitter to bat in that situation. I guess he was going for the lefty vs righty match up. Not sure. I actually was a bit surprised they didn't try a squeeze play with that guy up. Maybe the put him in because he was a small guy and perhaps that were playing for a walk.

The Shocks certainly took advantage of the new life they received in the 10th."

Eddie.jpg

Comment

I was listening to Shane and Bruce this morning. Did I hear correctly that WSU batted out of order in the 10th? Did that seriously happen? I think the only time I’ve seen that happen was in a slow pitch softball tournament I played in several years ago.

Did that seriously happen? That sums up the collective IQ of the bunch and the Todd Butler era to a tee.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Heard that too. Just unbelievable that no one would have caught that.

Comment

Originally posted by washedup View Post
                Heard that too. Just unbelievable that no one would have caught that.
                That is incorrect. WuDrWu commented on that on post #4.1 above and I responded to his comment about this although I did not see that part of the game.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 10, 2019, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X