33. Southern Illinois (34-22) 415
    34. Southern Miss. (39-23) 413
    35. U.C. Riverside (38-21) 411
    36. Stetson (42-21) 408
    37. Coastal Carolina (50-13) 406
    38. Nebraska (32-27) 405
    39. California (29-26) 403
    40. Oral Roberts (40-17) 400

Other Teams Receiving Votes: Georgia, Alabama, Creighton, South Florida, Notre Dame, Winthrop, Arkansas, Old Dominion, Texas-San Antonio, New Orleans, Oklahoma, East Carolina, Tulane, Kent St., Houston, Central Michigan, Texas Christian, Central Florida, Lamar, Southeastern Louisiana, Florida Atlantic, Charlotte, Gonzaga, Santa Clara, Tennessee, Florida, Auburn, Southern California, Stanford, Washington, Washington St., College of Charleston, Rutgers, Western Carolina, Penn. St., Minnesota, Ohio St., North Carolina St., Wake Forest, Hawaii, Virginia Commonwealth, Louisiana Tech., Nevada, LeMoyne, Troy, Kennesaw St., Richmond, St. John's, Old Dominion, Austin Peay, Southern.

Puts WSU in good position to have a chance at grabbing a national seed if they take care of business.

Comment

This is definitely looking good and the right place to be.

It makes things sooo much easier when a team is preseason ranked in the Top 10. Now, like SB said, we just have to hold up our end of the deal and take care of business.

I'm already getting excited...

and it's not even Christmas yet.. ! :yahoo:
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I sure wish the Shockers and UA would schedule a series. I can't wait for baseball season to start. The Cats may have a dominating pitching staff this year. Everybody returned and we get back our best pitcher from 2006, who had Tommy John surgery in the spring of 2006. If he can return to form, they will be scary good.

Comment

Arizona, huh?
          We handled them pretty well last year in the regional...

How different are they from last year?
          Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
          Students > Alumni
          If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
          The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

Originally posted by fastbow
            Arizona, huh?
            We handled them pretty well last year in the regional...

How different are they from last year?
            You might be going a little far by saying we handled them pretty well. 2-1 isn't pretty well if you ask me. But thats just me... And they may well have the best starting pitcher in the country.

Comment

Preston Guilmet is at least in the top 5 in the country. Mike Colla has been inconsistant his freshmen and sophmore years, but was on the allstar team in summer league this past summer. Ryan Perry was the best pitcher in the fall of 2006 but had a motorcycle accident the week before the 2007 season started, suffering internal injuries. He's fully recoverd now and was clocked on the radar gun at 98 mph in summer league. If Berger can return to the form of 2006 after Tommy John surgery, it will be a very deep starting rotation. We have two great closers.

Dollar Bill graduated which is a big loss, but virtually the rest of the offense returns.

Comment

Originally posted by t7017s

You might be going a little far by saying we handled them pretty well. 2-1 isn't pretty well if you ask me. But thats just me... And they may well have the best starting pitcher in the country.
                I thought our loss came against UNO in the regional....
                Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
                Students > Alumni
                If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
                The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

Our loss did. But we only beat zona 2-1 if i remember correct. It was Banwarts finest game as a shocker. Maybe one of the most impressive pitching outings ever for the shocks and thats saying somehting. Manny fine pitchers have had amazing games over the years but travis was amazing that game. It was a bit of a surprise because he hadnt been very good leading up to that game. It really was something to see.

Comment

#9 is a great place to start. Take care of early business and maintain a position around #10 or better then chip away into the top 5 when the national powerhouses start taking a few losses in conference.

It is far better than trying to work up from mid-teens or twenties.

Although I've never been a rankings watcher, there's no doubt in my mind that it helps when it comes seeding time and national seeds in baseball are more important than other sports because of home field advantage.

Now, are the Shocks really that good? We'll see how the holes created by the early signees and graduation are filled, but there's a great core returning. Up-the-middle strength is key, and the Shocks are loaded there with experienced players.

Thinking warm thoughts on a snowy day!

--'85.
                    Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Working...
                    X