No announcement yet.

Phase V Eck Stadium to Begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So many say Butler buried the program. I don't believe that to be so. Did they play up to expectations, NO. 11 games under .500 over 6 seasons isn't that bad, there are far worse that could have happened. He didn't leave the cupboard bare either. There are plenty of pieces to build a respectable program. Although a big Wedge supporter he will have to prove himself a recruiter, which Butler did, just could not get the boys to produce results equal to talent on field, time will tell.

Comment

• WheatShock
      WheatShock commented
      Editing a comment
      Any number of games under .500 over a 5+ year span for a program with WSU's history and resources is BAD. I think its fair to say that the cupboard isn't bare but 4 losing seasons in 6 years is just plain bad especially when you consider that Gene never had a losing season.

Originally posted by Shocktheheck View Post
    So many say Butler buried the program. I don't believe that to be so. Did they play up to expectations, NO. 11 games under .500 over 6 seasons isn't that bad, there are far worse that could have happened. He didn't leave the cupboard bare either. There are plenty of pieces to build a respectable program. Although a big Wedge supporter he will have to prove himself a recruiter, which Butler did, just could not get the boys to produce results equal to talent on field, time will tell.
    lol
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

You do realize that we fired a coach that had won a National Championship for being 89 games OVER .500 his last 6 seasons right? 11 games under .500 is TERRIBLE!!! Butler was 100 games worse than fHCGS during Stephenson's final 6 seasons.

Comment

• Shocktheheck
        Shocktheheck commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn't say letting Gene go was the right thing to do or that Butler was the right hire. Just that things could be worse. Basketball with Cohen leaving with absolutely no talent on the floor, years of rebuild , etc. it's not like this group can't compete hopefully leadership can help them with the talent they process.

• WstateU
        WstateU commented
        Editing a comment
        https://media.giphy.com/media/g0BZBX...Nnsg/giphy.gif

That is pretty sobering

Comment

He was well on his way to throwing the last bit of dirt on it. It says quite a bit when “bark at the park” was the highest attended game . Glad to see that nightmare over.

Comment

I think that overall the baseball talent on this team was pretty good. We lacked pitching, especially a pitching Ace and player to shut the door. Last year, if we weren't hitting homers, we'd lose, and it is impossible for a team to live off of home runs. They don't happen every night so we couldn't compete in the American conference and took last or next to last.

I didn't pay a lot of attention this year, but it seemed like our pitchers were inconsistent. No Dreiforts, Loopers, Brummett's, etc. And he couldn't teach our players how to "win". In the past, our players hated to lose.

Comment

Wow, we have really fallen off as a fan base. Does anyone have updated pics of the Eck? New turf and fence is going in now correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Shockerman View Post
              Wow, we have really fallen off as a fan base. Does anyone have updated pics of the Eck? New turf and fence is going in now correct?
              I think there was some content in the Fall Ball thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockerman View Post

Comment

Did that turf ever see regional baseball? I can't remember when it went in. If not, good riddance!

Comment

2009 but I won't swear to it.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      2009 but I won't swear to it.
                      I believe that is correct. Late summer 2009 installation. https://goshockers.com/news/2009/8/1....aspx?path=bsb

And no, there were not NCAA Tournament games ever played on this turf. The Shocks only post season play was in 2012 in Manhattan where they lost to K-State and Arkansas.

The Shockers posted a 272-92 overall record on the old Tyler Field AstroTurf® that was installed in 2000 and won five Missouri Valley Conference regular-season titles and seven MVC Tourney titles. WSU also won two Regional championships and had 13 All-Americans during that time.

Comment

Someone tell me, is my sarcasm meter busted? Butler had a team with 11 MLB draftees AND still couldn't get the team into the tourney. You sound like the enabler of all enablers.

Comment

You need to go to the right dr and have that Butler koolaid removed from your bloodstream

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post

You need to go to the right dr and have that Butler koolaid removed from your bloodstream
                            Short of “11 games under .500 over 6 seasons isn't that bad” what exactly was kool aid in that post? Surely we can all agree that Butler was a good recruiter. Surely we can all agree the product on the field underperformed. Surely we can all agree wedge is unproven as a recruiter. What flavor of kool aid are we talking about here?
                            Oh well. Let the hate flow through you I suppose.

Bring on the season so we can all let the past be the past.

Comment

Working...
                            X