Who plays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who plays?

With so many new faces, maybe 2 or 3 of you will be interested in guessing who starts the year?

Again, with all the graduations and draft picks, there are going to be new faces in new places and I suspect a lot of platooning as well, rightie vs leftie type things. But what do you think?

Just to prove I don't know jack squat, I'll give you my thoughts and you can see how wrong I am in 3 weeks:

3B Luke Ritter - would like him elsewhere, but this is our best know quantity. Give him the most at bats, at least early. Heard him on the Drive talk about playing 3rd so just guessing here. Could play several positions as others develop.

2B - Brady Slavens - So this kid graduates early to get here at semester? Who does that? A kid that's ready I think. Let's throw him in the deep end. He could play short and Boyer 2nd too I guess, and yes, this is a total guess. I just don't know why a kid would show up at semester if he didn't think he was ready. He has to be ready.

RF Paxton Wallace - will need his bat everyday

1B Hunter Gibson - got better as the season went on. Mason O'Brien will probably get some matchups but Gibby has the upside.

C Ross Cadena - This will be interesting because Cadena can play a couple positions (or DH) and Croft is serviceable, but the FR Josh Killeen could steal the position, sooner than later. He's strong.

DH Mason O'Brien - As I was thinking who'd DH, I realized we're likely to see a new lineup almost every day. Just too many options and not enough proven yet.

CF David VanVooren - seems like a kid that gets it and is talented. Total guess here, he may redshirt for all I know.

LF Jacob Katzfey - I just like this kid. Seems to do everything right. I hope he does well.

SS Jordan Boyer - Seems comfortable here but like Ritter, can play several positions, depending on who comes along faster than another.

Starting pitching:

I'll admit, this is hoping more than anything. I hope the talent in a couple of freshman is good enough to move ahead of older players that have improved. Pie in the sky I'm sure.

RHP Clayton McGinness - He's not the most talented guy, but he's worked hard, gotten better and I think deserves to get the ball Friday. His to lose.
    RHP Liam Eddy - Started strong last season but tapered off. He should be tough as nails if he got better in the off season.
    RHP Ryan Stuempfig - They considered pulling his RS last year. This kid could be really good.
    LHP Alex Segal - So much promise but not much in results so far. Expecting a big year from the sophomore from AZ.

I thought Snavely was really really good in the fall. I've heard good things about Carver, Marley and Peters.

Cal Carver, Calvin Marley, Preston Snavely & Connery Peters will all get chances. Just a matter of who takes the opportunity. Not sure about Lindemann and Barnhouse. They need to be healthy for starters. I think we won't have trouble finding serviceable pitching, better than last year. Problem is can we compete with all the aces in our league? That seems doubtful.

RHP Mitchell Walters - Jr transfer I bet gets the ball as our first turn as a closer. Throws a heavy ball, perfect for attacking the plate. Needs to be able to throw down, something he struggled with when I saw him in the fall. I think he or Wallace need to be our closer, as they are the hardest throwers, but Wallace isn't listed on the roster as a pitcher so maybe they gave up on that option.

To be honest, if Jake Plastiak could play 3rd (he's talented) then we could move Ritter back to 2nd and keep Boyer at short. I think that's our best lineup but only IF Plastiak can field 3rd.
    Last edited by WuDrWu; January 28, 2019, 08:00 AM.

I think the big question is pitching. We have proven we can hit, even in the Amrican. We lost too many games where we scored 6 runs or more last year.

Liam I think couldnend up our Friday starter. He had a strong Freshman year, but wore down late in the season. I expect him to bounce back even better this year.

Clayton I see settling in as #2. He came in to some tough situations last year and handled them well.

I hope to see Segal put it all together finally for Sunday role. If not, Snavely.

Comment

It appears that Alex Jackson has been working at 2B and perhaps could be the starter at that position. At least Sully had a write up about that this past weekend.

RH: Jackson Impresses Butler with Work at Second

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
        I think the big question is pitching. We have proven we can hit, even in the Amrican.
        We have questions everywhere but from my perspective the offense is a bigger question that the pitching. We just lost too much of our offensive production and power from last year. With only Luke Ritter back we have exactly one proven D-1 hitter. I am hoping for a breakout year from Jacob Katzfey. Who knows beyond that.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          We have questions everywhere but from my perspective the offense is a bigger question that the pitching. We just lost too much of our offensive production and power from last year. With only Luke Ritter back we have exactly one proven D-1 hitter. I am hoping for a breakout year from Jacob Katzfey. Who knows beyond that.
          It seems to me that the production that we lost was power hitters who could put runs on the board with one stroke (lots of homeruns, or triples or doubles). Games where those power hitters were on, were successful and games where we were a base to base team, we didn't. If we end up with more of a singles, base to base team (stealing bases, etc.), and score fewer runs, the pitching may be a key to keep us in games.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
            1972Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            Unfortunately, the Shockers under Todd Butler have not shown a great ability to play small ball although HCTB was a small ball guy in his playing days. I think we probably do have more team speed this year than last but whether or not we can put that to good use remains to be seen.

1.Katzfey Cf
          2.Jackson Lf
          3.Ritter 2B
          4.Wallace 3B
          5.Croft C
          6.O’Brien 1B
          7.Cosis/Cadena DH
          8.Gibson. RF
          9.Boyer SS

Thats my guess as to game one depending on if we see a righty or Lefty.

Comment

Not to wish away time but March 1st can’t arrive soon enough.
            “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

When there was no hope for basketball for years this wish was on thousands of Shocker fans minds

Comment

1. 2b Alex Jackson (played well everyday as a freshman struggled last year in the fill in roll. I think he’ll be pretty consistant but with more doubles this year)
                2. CF Jacob Katzfey( not proven but love how he plays and think he can hit, I think he can hit like his summer a couple years ago if he plays everyday)
                3. 3B Luke Ritter (proven to hit everyday not matter who is on the mound and can play anywhere)
                4. RF Paxton Wallace(hit well in the summer and we’ve seen him hit at time very well)
                5. DH Mason Obrien (seemed to hit every runner in every time last year. Just hope he can move.....)
                6. C Ross Cadena/( either or both I think can catch just depends on the type of arm on the mound LHP/RHP)
                7 LF David Vanooren ( not really sure everything I’ve seen says he’s really athletic and fast but who knows if he can hit this pitching
                8 1B Noah Croft/Hunter Gibson ( kind of a toss up HCTB never had a true 1B last year. Seems everyone plays there
                9 2B Jordan Boyer( proven to play everyday and can play defense well, hitting is spotty but can’t replace his defense

Comment

• Shocker1976
                  Shocker1976 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Need to edit a 2b to SS

• 1972Shocker
                  1972Shocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not sure I would say Paxton Wallace hit well this summer. Paxton had a .250 BA for the Wilmington Sharks in the Coastal Plains League with a .339 OBA and a .358 SLB while mostly playing 3rd base. He did strike out about 1 time in every 3 at bats. Still he may very well be in RF for the Shocks. Whether he starts the opener or not I'm sure he will bet his opportunities to prove himself as he does have potential.

Summer ball recap: https://shockernet.net/forum/wichita...25#post1142725

I think Noah Croft is more likely to start at catcher than at 1B and I would expect most of his playing time will be at catcher and perhaps some at DH.
              Working...
              X