Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick ...

Todd Butler is used to changing plans on the fly. Three weeks prior to Wichita State’s opening series, Butler’s plans for a scrimmage on the team’s home turf were pushed inside by spontaneous snowfall. In his sixth season as head of the program, Butler is pushing to revive the Shockers back into the powerhouse it...

“The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

READING COMPREHENSION QUIZ

The ticking in the headline likely refers to which event ...
    A. A clock counting down to the start of the season
    B. A bomb ticking away toward a frightful explosion
    C. A clock counting down to Fever coming it to piss and moan and add to his ridiculous overall post count.
    D. All of the above
    “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• Shocker85
      Shocker85 commented
      Editing a comment
      All of the above. The Shockers have to replace a lot of players - a formidable task for any program. I have no lofty expectations of success.

Originally posted by Wuzee View Post

READING COMPREHENSION QUIZ

The ticking in the headline likely refers to which event ...
    A. A clock counting down to the start of the season
    B. A bomb ticking away toward a frightful explosion
    C. A clock counting down to Fever coming it to piss and moan and add to his ridiculous overall post count.
    D. All of the above
    Well golly gee whiz Wuzee, why would anybody piss and moan about the current state of Wichita State baseball? I'm way out of bounds here. Gosh darn it.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Maybe baseball will surprise us this year........

Comment

• SHOCKvalue
        SHOCKvalue commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe I’ll win the next $500M Powerball.

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
      Maybe baseball will surprise us this year........
      Why do you do this to yourself every year?

Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I’m excited.

Comment

• SHOCKvalue
          SHOCKvalue commented
          Editing a comment
          You don’t say?

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
        I’m excited.
        Come on SHOCKvalue , finish it.

1ymvbd.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Why do you do this to yourself every year?
          I didn't say it would be a "good" surprise. But then again the baseball team may finish higher in the standings than the basketball team - of course there is only 9 baseball teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
            I’m excited.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Every year since the first game I remember.

Sad watching some people talking about bandwagon fans then laughing at a bunch of kids working their ass off representing Wichita State.

Dont like the coach? Fine. Think he should be fired? Great. None of that is the kids fault.

Dont like the AD? Fine. Think he should be fired? Also great. But still not on the boys.

I will be proudly wearing my Flying W hats all over Louisiana, and to every game I can get to.

Comment

Life's WAY too short to just throw things away. I've been a big fan of WSU since I was in elementary school. I used to cut out of school early to catch a weekday double header watching on the cars behind home plate. I'm always going to be a fan, regardless if they're good or bad.

There's no reason to not be optimistic before the season starts, if you're a supporter. We may be good, we may be bad, but I'm going to support the kids and the program no matter what.

Comment

• vbird53
                  vbird53 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Same with the basketball team this year. The kids are Shockers.

I don't think anyone took any shots at players..

But regardless, if everybody had your attitude Doc and supported the program blindly every year, then Todd Butler would have a lifetime contract and we'd be buried into the abyss (if not already). With collegiate sports and above, the goal is to win. Period.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• WuDrWu
                  WuDrWu commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't think I said anything about taking shots at players, and if it was insinuated, then I'll say I'm not saying anyone took shots at the players. I think you can support the team and question the leadership at the same time.

I'm not sure you and I are all that far off on where we think the program is right now, or where it's heading (we probably differ a little more on the latter, but still I bet it's pretty close). All I'm saying is that I'm not going to assume we'll be 20-35 right now, then gripe every day when (if) we end up there. You don't have to think we're going to Omaha, and I don't have to think we're going to disband the program.

I understand, and I agree. Sports is about winning and Shocker baseball isn't doing enough of that right now. I'm still going to go to the games and pull for the team and hope we win as many games as we can.

I feel like a successful season is finishing top 5 of the American and sneaking into a regional. That would be a hell of a good season for this young team and as a fan, I'd love to follow them to a regional site. It seems like you (and others) would see that as a total loss, only surpassed by a season that ended exactly the same but we DIDN'T make a regional. It seems like you'd rather be 20-35 and ensure a coaching change. Am I right?

That's just not who I am or who I want to be. I'd rather see the guys (and coaches) win today. I realize I'm in the minority.

Look, I don't know the answer. Everyone wants to win every year. There's no perfect formula. Too many of us think "the next guy" (whether it's a coach or a player or recruit) is the answer. It's just because we don't know, so we can hope or assume they will do better. Often times they don't. Sometimes they do. I don't know...it's a tough business for sure.

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                I don't think anyone took any shots at players..

But regardless, if everybody had your attitude Doc and supported the program blindly every year, then Todd Butler would have a lifetime contract and we'd be buried into the abyss (if not already). With collegiate sports and above, the goal is to win. Period.
                One last thing, and this isn't meant as a slap at you 'Fever, or anyone else, just a little reality check. Everyone is welcome to support any program as little or as much as they want, for any reason they see fit. You might only want to support basketball after they win a championship or just when the volleyball team has attractive players. Your reasons are your reasons and I'm not arguing anything different.

BUT, if anyone thinks that the move to the American has suddenly put the athletic program in tall cotton, money wise, you're sadly mistaken. Everything is more expensive. And basketball is the only program bringing in money. If we want to be big time, in any sport, then it has to be all money on deck every year. Todd should have a 4 year contract at all times (along with every other coach) then if we don't like the outcome, get someone else. But asking any coach to prove themselves and then get paid, AND not extending contracts when things turn downward is a CERTAIN way to be bad, fast. You can't keep anyone good, and you will have to rebuild, often. You must support the programs all the time, then bite the very expensive bullet if and when it's time to change. But that takes money, and a lot of it....money that isn't coming in at that kind of a rate now. So pick your poison, more or less.

Comment

Wait a minute...the volleyball program has attractive players? Whodathunk:eek-new:

Comment

Working...
                  X