Mike Steele resigns, Mike Pelfrey hired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shockerman View Post
    I remember watching him warm up for the first time time in the bullpen his freshman year. We could hear the sharp "snap" sound the Catcher's mitt made when he threw as compared to the others in the pen with him at the time. It definitely created a buzz with the small crowd watching him throw. He was in a different league the day he stepped on campus. He will have to find those kinds of recruits if he wants to be able to coach kids to the Majors. Hopefully this means that Hoop or MS is right around the corner too.
    The popping sound of a catcher's mitt catching a heater might be one of my favorite sounds in all of sports...that and a clean swish of a free throw.

78-65

Comment

• WstateU
      WstateU commented
      Editing a comment
      I almost forgot what both sounded like... :)

• Kung Wu
      Kung Wu commented
      Editing a comment
      The crunching sound of six-studs on fresh grass with morning dew still on it.

Originally posted by XManCometh View Post
    The Pelfrey hiring completely floored me. I thought there was no way he would leave Newman this year. He must REALLY want to get his coaching career started because there's no other reason for him to jump onto this sinking ship.
    The question is do we really know what he is jumping onto. This ship may be a tugboat with a lot more going on below the surface than above the surface. I guess we will find out in about 5 months.

In any case, let's hope Mike is a succesful as a Shocker coach as he was as a Shocker player.

Comment

This has me excited for my season tickets. A great hire and one that certainly begs a lot of questions.

Go Shocks!
      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• SB Shock
        SB Shock commented
        Editing a comment
        I think you are way to conspiratorial in your thinking. There is no shocker baseball Illuminati pulling the strings in the background.

Pelfrey was on “The Drive” last night talking about how it was Butler who called him, told him he was his first and only call and asked him if he was interested.

• ShockTalk
        ShockTalk commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I'm basing some of that on other "chatter" and my hopes for a new beginning. Wonder if it was just MP way of describing it, but is there a difference between "he was his first and only call and asked" vs "he was his first call and asked"?

• WuDrWu
        WuDrWu commented
        Editing a comment
        Since returning to Wichita full time, Mike has certainly been involved (supportive, around, engaged) with Shocker baseball. He mentioned through the media that he's wanted to "give back" and has been interested in coaching for some time. I don't think it's a stretch that people, including Todd knew prior to Steele leaving than Pelfrey was interested in coaching at WSU were something to come open. I know that other coaches, not related to the history of WSU baseball, were very much interested in the opening but I would be stunned if anyone was contacted other than Pelfrey. He was the best and right choice at this time and Todd went out and got him. It all worked out, fortunately. There is no conspiracy going on.

But if a change is to be made, I hope to hell we don't hamstring the next head coach with an already hired subordinate like we did last time. While most people, including me, thought at the time it was a fantastic idea, it wasn't and we shouldn't make the same mistake twice.

Just speculating but It seems likely that Butler knew about Steele’s job inquiries ( I doubt Steele would or maybe even could keep job inquiries a secret) and consultations took place with Brent and maybe others. From this, Plan B (that’s what I’ll call it) was hatched. It may have been in the works for a while.

Comment

@KungWu or one of the other Mods: Could you change the thread title from Mike Steel Resigns to Mike Steele Resigns/Mike Pelfrey Hired

Thanks.

Comment

Comment

RH: Mike Pelfrey Grew Into Role as Mentor

The vibe I get from Mike is I don't think he is coming in thinking he has all the answers just because we was in The Show for 12 years.

Really pulling for him to have success in his new role.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 9, 2019, 05:26 PM.

Comment

I hope he doesn't stop coaching his son's baseball team. I enjoyed my son's team go up against his son's team. His son has a lively bat by the way.

Comment

I think the next head coach will be Eric Wedge. The end of this season will be an interesting time.

Comment

• Shocker1976
                  Shocker1976 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Now that would be a perfect world

• OregonShocker
                  OregonShocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'd be (pleasantly) surprised; I can't see him leaving Mercer Island (where Bill Gates and other MS millionaires live) for Doo Dah.

Is this the same Mike Pelfrey that happens to be a K|Uck-City fan? Asking for a friend...

T

...:cool:

Comment

Comment

Oh man. Mike sounds like a total noob... which he is. How far we've fallen. No disrespect to Mike Pelfrey but: "I'm just gonna tell 'em how good they are... and things are gonna take off.."

This is our Penny Hardaway hire.

Hoping for the best.

T

Comment

"It's not the X's and the O's; it's the Jimmies and the Joes." -Mini-B

A touching moment. He's a nice guy. I feel sorry for him. He deserved a warriors death - a quick and merciful execution... not what Boatwrong gave him. Just letting him twist in the wind with one toe still touching the stool. Sad.

T

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                        Oh man. Mike sounds like a total noob... which he is. How far we've fallen. No disrespect to Mike Pelfrey but: "I'm just gonna tell 'em how good they are... and things are gonna take off.."

This is our Penny Hardaway hire.

Hoping for the best.

T

We are going to miss Steele.

Comment

Originally posted by tru2thaduce View Post

We are going to miss Steele.
                          Not really.

Comment

Working...
                          X