No announcement yet.

Mike Steele resigns, Mike Pelfrey hired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shockfan89_ , posted: "That is all well and good, but why wouldn't he have left over the summer? Why wait until semester break? This is not good!!!

We have now had one of the top pitching coaches of all time resign/be fired. Our assistant coach resigned after last season, and now our pitching coach, that was the bright spot of the staff, resigns 6 weeks before our first game of the season?"

I'll comment on the second part first. Are you referring to assistant coach Brian Walker, who should have not been hired in the first place? I'll take Sammy Esposito all day long over Walker. Kemnitz was a sinking ship to start with. Had we hired a younger/less experienced coach, the Kemnitz thing might have work. Instead, we got the "best" experienced coach we could get that would accept Kemnitz over picking his own pitching coach, demand we hire an unexperienced assistant, and cost a pot load of money over a long time.

As to the first part of your post, I completely agree. Both Steele and Esposito knew Butler's status when they came here. The timing for Steele's leaving seems like something other than leaving a "sinking ship". Frankly, if his leaving is his doing and he had no problem with Butler, I feel Steele just pissed on our program and any recruits he influenced to come here. If his motivation and timing for leaving deals with Butler, that our AD's fault. Hopefully, we'll get some sort of answer, but I doubt it.

Comment

• SB Shock
      SB Shock commented
      Editing a comment
      Ultimately it comes down to did he leave voluntarily or was he forced to resign?

• shockfan89_
      shockfan89_ commented
      Editing a comment
      SB Shock - I get what you're saying, but does it really make a difference? I think the very best possible outcome is that Steele was offered a job at the professional level. If so, that is still crappy to bail 6 weeks before your first game and leaves WSU in a very bad position.

I wonder what kind of penalties, if any, exist in contracts for assistant coaches? Obviously Steele has been getting paid for the past 6 months. If he actually resigned, does he have to pay back that money since he didn't complete his contract?

• SB Shock
      SB Shock commented
      Editing a comment
      It matters because either Steele screwed the program by jumping ship right before the season, or Butler mismanagement. Either way it is not a good look for the program.

Smart move by Steele. Better to resign now and latch on with a pro team before spring training then to get fired with the rest of this lame duck staff in May and not have a job the rest of the year.

Comment

• ShockTalk
      ShockTalk commented
      Editing a comment
      "Smart move" would have been to leave after the end of the season. Nothing has change as far as Butler's status since then. Now, he's left the program in a lurch (assuming it was his choice to leave). Butler could have made things unbearable, but if not, Steele's a ***** for leaving his players and the school at this time. If it's Butler pushing him out, he's simply the loser we already know.

I dont things are as bad as they are made out to be. Surely this wasnt a surprise, and I have confidence that we will get another well respected coach to take his place. Look at the last two we hired.

Comment

• shockfan89_
      shockfan89_ commented
      Editing a comment
      You think we will get another well respected coach to take his place before our first game on February 15th? Maybe this wasn't a surprise, and maybe this is part of a "plan". I just don't like the timing at all.

• ShockTalk
      ShockTalk commented
      Editing a comment
      The timing is the surprise which cannot be spun as a plus for the program or a plus for a well respected coach to take his place, given the short timing before the start of the season and the general situation of things.

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

Besides... when you’ve already found bedrock it’s hard to dig a deeper hole.
    ADDB: Hold my beer
    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Or maybe Butler doesn’t want to share any of the glory when WSU makes it back to the CWS this year?

Comment

• OregonShocker
          OregonShocker commented
          Editing a comment
          Pot is legal in Kansas now????

Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
          I dont things are as bad as they are made out to be. Surely this wasnt a surprise, and I have confidence that we will get another well respected coach to take his place. Look at the last two we hired.
          You have GOT to be ****ing kidding me.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
            Or maybe Butler doesn’t want to share any of the glory when WSU makes it back to the CWS this year?
            Butler couldn't even spell Omaha.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

What a ****ing mess. Complete embarrassing **** show. The timing is absolutely dumb and anybody who thinks "things aren't as bad as they appear" is just trolling at this point. Butler should've been canned 2 years ago but nope, that dumbass fatass contract extension by Mr. Sexton set everything up on a tee. And then you have his minion Mr. Boatright taking over and basically just succumbing to a bump on a log, collecting his $$$. This is why you don't make retarded contract extensions. This is why you should eat your mistakes and not let the entire program go to hell. But now, we've reached that point.

And nobody cares. Nobody absolutely ****ing cares anymore. All the past, tradition, and history of this program, and Darren Boatright doesn't give one ****ing ounce about it.

What an absolute embarrassment.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I would bet money that Coach Steele and Butler couldn’t see eye to eye and Steele reached out to Pro baseball contacts and found a new job.I am totally disappointed in the timing and feel bad for the players.On the surface it looks like Steele took a dump on his players with this timing but Butlers track record leaves me thinking it is the smart move.Terrible look for Shocker baseball and Todd Butler.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                  What a ****ing mess. Complete embarrassing **** show. The timing is absolutely dumb and anybody who thinks "things aren't as bad as they appear" is just trolling at this point. Butler should've been canned 2 years ago but nope, that dumbass fatass contract extension by Mr. Sexton set everything up on a tee. And then you have his minion Mr. Boatright taking over and basically just succumbing to a bump on a log, collecting his $$$. This is why you don't make retarded contract extensions. This is why you should eat your mistakes and not let the entire program go to hell. But now, we've reached that point.

And nobody cares. Nobody absolutely ****ing cares anymore. All the past, tradition, and history of this program, and Darren Boatright doesn't give one ****ing ounce about it.

What an absolute embarrassment.
                  That is a lot of stars for someone who doesnt care anymore. We have some pieces on the roster, and will bring in a Pitching coach to work with them. I do think it will benefit the program having Coach Steele gone. Although he did some good things overall, I dont think he was good for the team (see our agreement on MM last night).

I also think this looks bad from the outside looking in losing a coach right now, and if Coach Butler knew he was looking he should have just replaced him. Or maybe they couldnt afford even to replace the PC due to lack of funds in the baseball budget. Who knows.

I think this is step one into rebuilding Shocker Baseball. And hopefully the person they bring in personifies that.

ShockerFever
                  One favor, dont rip this until we hire the PC. If I am wrong and we get some bum, I will eat crow. Call it a troll job, and say no one cares, but my family and I still spend money to travel to support the program. These kids care. Their parents care. Former players care. Lets see where this goes.

Comment

• Downtown Shocker Brown
                    Downtown Shocker Brown commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ShockTalk Lets agree where we are. It appears the relationship with Coach Stephenson is in process of moving forward.

Coach Butlers contract is close to over and hopefully much more manageable after this season.

Looking at Coach Steele, he doesnt seem to stay long anywhere. And while movement among Assistant Coaches is commonplace among the rest of College Baseball, we arent used to it here. I dont want to say more than I know, but it just seemed watching last year there were potentially some issues.

If he was interviewing for MLB spots, and Coach Butler knew, I feel like the opportunity was there to get his commitment to the year or tell him to move on.

I don’t think Coach Kemnitz got bad when Coach Butler got here. I think he just got wore out and comfortable where he was. They weren’t as tenacious in recruiting players. In the end, you need “dudes”, and we werent getting them.

How long to see impact from new coach? I mean roster is set. We should see impact from start of season to end. Outside of that, we should see continued progress year over year.

• ShockTalk
                    ShockTalk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    "How long to see impact from new coach? I mean roster is set. We should see impact from start of season to end. Outside of that, we should see continued progress year over year."

Not sure what you meant, but I'll re-phrase: How many years should it take an experienced coach (Butler), supposedly worthy of big bucks/long term contract, to equal or improve on what the previous out-going coach (Stevenson) did that got him released. You said this is step one into rebuilding Shocker Baseball. Just wondering what has been going on the previous years 5 years.

• bleednblackngold
                    bleednblackngold commented
                    Editing a comment
                    DSB come on! Are you on payroll? Laughable!

Butler’s never had a contract extension, just a single long-term one he signed when he was hired.

Comment

Pretty easy to see the writing on the wall. He rode out his salary until Spring ball kicked up and he got a job offer. Can't blame him though. He has done a good job here and probably felt like Butler was going to get the job done but can now see the light. I don't know what Brent's relationship is like with Butler, but ideally if he could come back as the Pitching coach and take over as interim when Butler gets canned mid season that would be the path of least resistance. If not...what about Mean Gene taking over for Butler half way through so he can have is swan song and proper send off. It would be a neat way to transition to a new regime after Gene's last game as head couch is a sell out at the ECK. Get as many of the past players there as possible and make it a grand send off.

Comment

Maybe he was pushed out so Stephenson could step in as pitching coach?
                      Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• WstateU
                        WstateU commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Assuming Kung's tongue was planted in his cheek. :)

• WstateU
                        WstateU commented
                        Editing a comment
                        At least bring Gene back for the designated pre-game handshake...

• Kung Wu
                        Kung Wu commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Can't a guy troll for at least 30 minutes? :)
                    Working...
                    X