Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Steele resigns, Mike Pelfrey hired

From GoShockers:

Wichita State pitching coach Mike Steele has resigned from his coaching position, head coach Todd Butler announced on Thursday.

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Not good for this to be happening at this particular time. Tip of the iceberg?
        What’s going on?

Comment

Just up and resigns?!?!?!?

Need more input.

need-more-input.jpg

Comment

I wonder who will replace him at this point?

Comment

Brent? He is already on the payroll...

Comment

What is Pelfrey's situation?

Comment

• XManCometh
                  XManCometh commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Last I heard he's at Newman as an assistant coach with a bunch of his buddies. I doubt he's going to leave there to come to this sinking ship. Especially when he's on track to get his degree soon.

This dumpster fire is what happens when the AD refuses to do his job and fire the head coach. At least we saved a few bucks...

Comment

• XManCometh
                  XManCometh commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think some of you need to realize something: This is a basketball school now. Everything else is secondary.

Cue Fever in 3....2....1....

Comment

Perhaps Coach Steele could see the writing on the wall for HCTB, especially since AFAIK HCTB's contract has not been extended, and decided he needed to be proactive and take his career in a different direction. Perhaps he will return to coaching in the pro ranks. Might even already have something lined up.

Seemed like he did a pretty good job during his 2 years at Wichita State.

Brent seems like the logical stop-gap answer until we have more stability in the program.

I suppose we will find out soon enough.

This void and the uncertainty surrounding HCTB's future can't be great for recruiting, including those already committed.

Comment

• shockfan89_
                    shockfan89_ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That is all well and good, but why wouldn't he have left over the summer? Why wait until semester break? This is not good!!!

We have now had one of the top pitching coaches of all time resign/be fired. Our assistant coach resigned after last season, and now our pitching coach, that was the bright spot of the staff, resigns 6 weeks before our first game of the season?

• 1972Shocker
                    1972Shocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Certainly a valid point you make. It's possible Coach Steele just wanted to make sure he had a bird in the hand in terms of a good job opportunity to move to before making his move and perhaps something came up recently that was to good to pass on considering HCTB's tenuous circumstances. It's equally possible that something has happened that we are not privy two that pushed him to resign. Also, suppose there is always the possibility that, for some reason, he was pushed out and given the option to resign. We may never really know for sure.

Steele is a good coach. He will find a great spot to land, certainly. I had actually hoped he would be persuaded to stay on whenever the Butler nightmare page is turned, assuming the new HC was on board with it.

I’m sure he is just being proactive - looking out for himself and his family - and pulling the emergency ripcord on his career before the gravity of being a part of Butler’s tenure here causes him to hit the hard deck of unemployability.

Certainly another dead canary in the coal mine, to be added to the pile of dead birds telling us the same story.

Comment

• WuDrWu
                    WuDrWu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think there's more to it than that, but still mostly accurate. And check your messages.

Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
                  Cue Fever in 3....2....1....
                  Cue everyone who cares about Shocker baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    I wonder who will replace him at this point?
                    Boatright could do it. I know he doesn’t have any experience in that capacity, but at least then we’d know he’s actually doing something to earn a salary.

Besides... when you’ve already found bedrock it’s hard to dig a deeper hole.

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
                      Brent? He is already on the payroll...
                      if he is replaced, then look at his contract he signs - that will tell you what the likelihood Butler is going to be replaced at the end of this season.

Comment

Working...
                      X