Shockers - Fall Ball 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shockers - Fall Ball 2018

Word is Butler is going 100% into a competitive fall schedule to really test the guys and prepare them for Spring 2019. Looks like they will play SEC and Big Ten teams. It will be great seeing these guys compete. I am looking forward to seeing the schedule and hope to catch a game in Texas.

Apparently new NCAA rules allow teams to play 2 exhibition games in the fall. Reportedly one of those games for the Shockers will be at Arkansas although not officially announced or confirmed yet.

Comment

October 5 is the Friday before we play Alabama in Football. Could be a good crowd on hand.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHog View Post
        October 5 is the Friday before we get trounced by Alabama in Football. Could be a good crowd on hand.
        *fixed*

T

...:cool:

Comment

• CharlieHog
          CharlieHog commented
          Editing a comment
          That's my expectation as well. haha

The trouncing Arkansas is gonna unleash on us may be by a similar score, something like 17-3 maybe?

Gee, I wonder why we didn't schedule any home exhibition games? Because there would be more fleas present than people in seats?
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• txkidsports
          txkidsports commented
          Editing a comment
          Every season is different and the last one from a cumulative perspective was great. It should be expected to have challenges in year 1 when going into a bigger conference.

The boys will learn a lot with these two big exhibition competitors and get battle tested for the spring. At the end of the day, the spring is really what it's all about.

Luke Ritter returns for Shocker baseball after a breakout junior season

Ritter, a senior utility player, can play the middle infield and in the outfield. With the departure of first-round pick Alec Bohm and second-round pick Greyson Jenista, Ritter is the big bat back.

He hit a team-leading .341 with six home runs and 12 doubles last season and earned all-conference honors. The Minnesota Twins drafted him in the 37thround in June.

The Shockers start fall practice on Sept. 7.

Senior outside hitter Tabitha Brown is the focal point of Wichita State's offense – and opposing defenses. She earned honorable mention All-American honors in 2017 after hitting .268 with 385 kills. Indications are Brown is prepared to produce her strongest season as a Shocker.

Comment

Fall practices have started. Here’s what’s coming back for Wichita State baseball

BY TAYLOR ELDRIDGE

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...218227305.html

Nothing really new in this article. Pretty much confirms what we already know. At this point I think we have to say there are more questions than answers. Kind of predominant theme for Shocker sports this year. Only time will tell how well those questions are answered.

Pitching is always the key in baseball. In the Shocks case this year that may be even more magnified in importance. Hopefully, Coach Steele can put together a strong staff.

A little surprised that he didn't mention Travis Young as a returner with significant starting experience. I assume Travis will be back but goShockers.com is still sporting last year's roster so hard to check on that.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 13, 2018, 12:02 AM.

Comment

“We have plenty of guys who are waiting their turn to play and now it’s their time to play,” Butler said. “We have some freshmen pushing those guys behind them, too. I really like the mix that we have right now.”

You "really like the mix that we have right now." You are returning 2 starters and 42% of innings pitched from a team that went 35-21 overall and 9-14 in the AAC finishing 8th in your conference?

Comment

• WuDrWu
              WuDrWu commented
              Editing a comment
              Do you want him to say they suck and he hates the team?

• shockfan89_
              shockfan89_ commented
              Editing a comment
              He and ADDB have been pumping us full of crap for the past 4 years. Why stop now huh?

• ShockerFever
              ShockerFever commented
              Editing a comment
              No. I want him to admit that he sucks and get the hell out of here.

You will see some talented freshmen contribute next spring. There are a few really good ones. This is a very good class I believe.

Comment

• shockfan89_
              shockfan89_ commented
              Editing a comment
              Better than the class that just left? I don't doubt there is some talent in the incoming class, I think HCTB has proven he can recruit, the concern is translating that to wins on the field, especially against good competition. I don't think HCTB has two or three years for this class to mature. Hopefully they are really good now.

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            You will see some talented freshmen contribute next spring. There are a few really good ones. This is a very good class I believe.
            A very good class in a lame duck season. I guess that's a positive.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Both games will not count toward the team’s 56-game regular season schedule due to the rule changes announced by the NCAA last spring.

"As for the game at Baum Stadium with the Shockers, admission will be free. The Razorbacks are asking each fan to bring non-perishable food items and new or gently used coats to benefit the Salvation Army and the Jane B. Gearhart Full Circle Campus Food Pantry, who will be collecting these items at the stadium gates.

Seating throughout the stadium will be first-come, first-serve and parking will be free and the Hog Pen will also be open. Gates will open at 5 p.m.

Light concessions will be available via cash only and fans will also be allowed to bring in outside food and beverages with the exception of alcohol. No coolers will be allowed in the main seating bowl, but will be allowed in the Hog Pen."

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                C0|dB|00ded commented
                Editing a comment
                Jesus, Super Bowl anyone? Can the once venerable National Power be treated like the middling, struggling program they currently are? Why rub our faces in it?

On second thought, maybe I'm misinterpreting the promotion. Maybe instead of a pack the house, blackout, whiteout, redout promotion for big name opponents this is actually an attempt to get someone, anyone out to the ball park to watch a no-name OOC opponent. My bad.

T

Here’s hoping the Shox pull a North Texas down there in Fayetteville.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox The Revenant View Post
                Here’s hoping the Shox pull a North Texas down there in Fayetteville.

haven't we suffered enough

Comment

Win or lose, it's a meaningless exhibition game. Even if we won 15-2, it doesnt magically mean we're in the same stratosphere as Arkansas. Ironically, it would be one of the biggest wins in the Todd Butler era though.

In reality, we ain't winning and we ain't gonna come close.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I think it will be competitive. We lost a lot from last year.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                      C0|dB|00ded commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Is your head coach incompetent? Has he voluntarily raised the white flag yet no one put him out of his misery? Can we borrow some money?

T

Working...
                  X