No announcement yet.

Shocks in Summer Ball 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McCraw is headed to pitch in the NBC World Series today. He played in the Houston Summer league with Texas Prospects as a reliever and looks like a solid gem. His stats in the league were 10 IP, 23Ks, and 0 ERA. Definitely a great addition to our bullpen clocking at 95 over the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by txkidsports View Post
      McCraw is headed to pitch in the NBC World Series today. He played in the Houston Summer league with Texas Prospects as a reliever and looks like a solid gem. His stats in the league were 10 IP, 23Ks, and 0 ERA. Definitely a great addition to our bullpen clocking at 95 over the summer.
      He looks legit. From the youtube video, his fast ball appears to be top notch with lots of movement, his curve looks to be good, and his slider appears to have potential but is less consistent still. He is a very good incoming freshman prospect.

Comment

Nice article an Luke Ritter and the Foresters back in Wichita for the NBC Tournament.

Comment

Summer ball is winding down. So how did the Shocker who played this summer do.

Luke Ritter having another solid season with Santa Barbara who is still alive and well in the NBC Tournament. Luke is currently hitting .308. He is second on the Foresters in home runs with 5 and leads in RBI with 33. He may have to fill more of a run producer role this year fo the Shocks than he has in the past.

Jacob Katzfey apparently took the summer off to heal the bad leg injury he suffered in the AAC Tournament but Jacob needs to find his inner Bret Bascue for his senior season. Perhaps, like Bret, he might fit into a righty/lefty hitting platoon situation in the outfield similar to how Bascue was used in his senior year.

Ross Cadena hit .266 for the Upper Valley Nighthawks in the New England Collegiate League. He last played on July 31st and I assume is done for the summer.

Hunter Gibson only hit .137 for that same UVN team and last played on July 5th. Not sure if he cut his summer short and if he did so whether that was due to him struggling and maybe not playing much or whether an injury might have come into play.

Noah Croft only hit .205 for Kenosha in the Northwoods League and played his last game on June 28. Same questions as for Hunter Gibson.

Statistically reserve catcher Bryce McDermott had a very good season for Clearwater in the Kansas Collegiate Leauge batting .340 with and OBA of .433 and a SLP of .620. The question I have and can't answer is what was the level of competition in this league?

Garett Kocis has struggled at the plate for the Anchorage Glacier Pilots hitting only .169 and has struck out 29 times in 59 at bats. He has pitched 4.1 innings in 5 appearances giving up a couple of earned runs for an ERA of 4.15 on a very small sample size.

Paxton Wallace had a .250 BA for the Wilmington Sharks in the Coastal Plains League with a .339 OBA and a .358 SLB while mostly playing 3rd base. He did strike out about 1 time in every 3 at bats.

Alex Jackson has one of the busier summers with 112 at bats for the Winter Park Diamond Dawgs in the Florida Collegiate League. Alex hit .268 with an OBA of .388. He stole 9 bases and struck out on average on 3 times in every 20 at bats.

Jacob Lindemann had an ERA of 5.00 in 36 innings while striking out 34 and walking 11 for Lakeshore in the Northwoods League. On the face of it that ERA isn't great but Jacob got off to a horrendous start. He made 11 appearances with 8 starts. If you take out his 2nd appearnance of the summer where he allowed 6 earned runs without retiring a hitter his ERA was a respective 3.50 in his other 10 appearances.

Alex Segal and Preson Snavely may still be playing for the Anchorage Bucs. Alex has a 4.33 ERA over 27 innings in 12 appearances with 1 start for the Bucs. Alex had a couple of shaky appearnace where he gave up 8 earned runs over 5.1 innings. In his other appearances he only gave up 5 earned runs in 21.2 innings for an ERA of 2.08 in those 10 appearance. Preston has an ERA of 3.20 over 39.1 innings in 9 appearances with 8 starts. He also had 2 bad outings in which he gave up 9 earned runs over 7 innings but was very good in his other 7 appearances with an ERA of 1.39 in those outings.

Hard to say for sure what this portends for next season, if anything. These guys only represent about 30% of the roster. Doesn't do anything to diminish my concerns that this year's team may be a bit challenged to score runs. The 3 pitchers that played this summer were for the most part pretty darn good especially when you look past the one or two hiccups they each experienced.

Comment

• ShockTalk
            ShockTalk commented
            Editing a comment
            You are the eternal optimist aren't you, '72.

Well, I hope our players do have a great season. It's that I keep thinking we may have just seen our best team under Butler.

• 1972Shocker
            1972Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            I wish I could say I was optimistic. I'm kind of half way between J.P's. (Angels in the Outfield) "It could happen!" and Lloyd Christmas's "So you're telling me there's a chance!"). I think I am more hope springs enternal than I am optimistic that any hopes will be realized.

• SB Shock
            SB Shock commented
            Editing a comment
            I would say there are not many encouraging stat lines there. Looks like program will be enduring a pretty bad season before a change in direction will be attempted.

Luke Ritter and his Santa Barbara teammates capture the final NBC Tournament Championship to be played at LDS with a 6-5 win over tthe NJCAA National Team on a walk-off walk. Maybe not the nost exciting way to get a walk-off win but it counts just the same.

Luke will no doubt be one of the main leaders of this year's Shocker team.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            Summer ball is winding down. So how did the Shocker who played this summer do.

Luke Ritter having another solid season with Santa Barbara who is still alive and well in the NBC Tournament. Luke is currently hitting .308. He is second on the Foresters in home runs with 5 and leads in RBI with 33. He may have to fill more of a run producer role this year fo the Shocks than he has in the past.

Jacob Katzfey apparently took the summer off to heal the bad leg injury he suffered in the AAC Tournament but Jacob needs to find his inner Bret Bascue for his senior season. Perhaps, like Bret, he might fit into a righty/lefty hitting platoon situation in the outfield similar to how Bascue was used in his senior year.

Ross Cadena hit .266 for the Upper Valley Nighthawks in the New England Collegiate League. He last played on July 31st and I assume is done for the summer.

Hunter Gibson only hit .137 for that same UVN team and last played on July 5th. Not sure if he cut his summer short and if he did so whether that was due to him struggling and maybe not playing much or whether an injury might have come into play.

Noah Croft only hit .205 for Kenosha in the Northwoods League and played his last game on June 28. Same questions as for Hunter Gibson.

Statistically reserve catcher Bryce McDermott had a very good season for Clearwater in the Kansas Collegiate Leauge batting .340 with and OBA of .433 and a SLP of .620. The question I have and can't answer is what was the level of competition in this league?

Garett Kocis has struggled at the plate for the Anchorage Glacier Pilots hitting only .169 and has struck out 29 times in 59 at bats. He has pitched 4.1 innings in 5 appearances giving up a couple of earned runs for an ERA of 4.15 on a very small sample size.

Paxton Wallace had a .250 BA for the Wilmington Sharks in the Coastal Plains League with a .339 OBA and a .358 SLB while mostly playing 3rd base. He did strike out about 1 time in every 3 at bats.

Alex Jackson has one of the busier summers with 112 at bats for the Winter Park Diamond Dawgs in the Florida Collegiate League. Alex hit .268 with an OBA of .388. He stole 9 bases and struck out on average on 3 times in every 20 at bats.

Jacob Lindemann had an ERA of 5.00 in 36 innings while striking out 34 and walking 11 for Lakeshore in the Northwoods League. On the face of it that ERA isn't great but Jacob got off to a horrendous start. He made 11 appearances with 8 starts. If you take out his 2nd appearnance of the summer where he allowed 6 earned runs without retiring a hitter his ERA was a respective 3.50 in his other 10 appearances.

Alex Segal and Preson Snavely may still be playing for the Anchorage Bucs. Alex has a 4.33 ERA over 27 innings in 12 appearances with 1 start for the Bucs. Alex had a couple of shaky appearnace where he gave up 8 earned runs over 5.1 innings. In his other appearances he only gave up 5 earned runs in 21.2 innings for an ERA of 2.08 in those 10 appearance. Preston has an ERA of 3.20 over 39.1 innings in 9 appearances with 8 starts. He also had 2 bad outings in which he gave up 9 earned runs over 7 innings but was very good in his other 7 appearances with an ERA of 1.39 in those outings.

Hard to say for sure what this portends for next season, if anything. These guys only represent about 30% of the roster. Doesn't do anything to diminish my concerns that this year's team may be a bit challenged to score runs. The 3 pitchers that played this summer were for the most part pretty darn good especially when you look past the one or two hiccups they each experienced.

Jackson is going to be a productive hitter with consistent PT.Same with Katzfey.Jacob is only a junior and could put up crazy stolen base numbers if they turn him loose.Wish he could have got to play in Santa Barbara this summer.

Comment

Working...
            X