No announcement yet.

2018 NCAA Tourney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oklahoma with a late touchdown and field goal (9 runs in the 7th and 4 runs in the 9th) to pull away from Mississippi State 20-10. OU had 7 singles, 3 walks a hit batter and 2 MSU errors in the 9-run 7th. In the 4-run 9th they had 5 hits all of which were doubles.

Comment

I think they both go hand to hand... Keeping Butler=Not making the NCAA Tourney

Comment

ECU pounded UNC-Wilmington 16-7 and Houston whacked Purdue 9-1 to salvage the day for the AAC.

1st Round wins by #4 seeds:

Samford 7 - Florida State 6

Army 5 - North Carolina State 1

Wright State and Stanford tied at 3-all going into extra innings. (Not quite - Stanford wins 4-3 in 13 innings)

Other Scores of Interest:

Southern Miss 9 - Dallas Baptist 0

Missouri State vs Tennessee Tech at Oxford, MS rained out.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 2, 2018, 01:30 AM. Reason: Update Stanford - Wright State Final Score

Comment

Florida State went two and ‘que. Wow!
          78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
            Florida State went two and ‘que. Wow!
            This game was really unbelievable and "back in the day" Shockernet would have blown up over what happened.

The Seminoles threw sophomore Drew Parrish and he was outstanding for 8 innings. 3 singles and no walks. Mississippi State had 1 runner get to 2nd on a wild pitch.

Then the rains came in the ninth. A TWO and half hour rain delay. When the bottom of the inning came around, Martin sent out Parrish to finish what he started. After 109 pitches and almost 3 hours between pitches. Walk (first of the game), pop out, K, walk (2nd of the game) then on a 1-2 count on his 133rd pitch of the day, Elijah MacNamee ended the Seminoles season by hammering a change off the top of the scoreboard and MSU advanced to play Samford today with the winner needing to beat Oklahoma twice to advance to a super regional.

What in the hell Mike Martin was thinking sending that kid back out after 109 pitches and 3 hours is borderline criminal.
            Last edited by WuDrWu; June 3, 2018, 09:59 AM.

Comment

• Shocker85
              Shocker85 commented
              Editing a comment
              Absolutely criminal. Is Keith Guttin on the staff at FSU?

• WSUwatcher
              WSUwatcher commented
              Editing a comment
              You can win a lot of games in college against lesser opposition, and still get away some pretty stupid stuff just because you've won a lot of games against lesser opposition. Wayne Graham was even worse at Rice when it came to piling up the pitch counts.

By the way, note Mike Martin's resume in Omaha for his success when it really matters.

Other interesting American happenings yesterday:

UCONN stayed alive dispatching LIU 10-3 after a slow start. But the Huskies likely burned both Gardner and Cate so while beating host Coastal Carolina appears challenging at least, then beating a Washington team that beat UCONN 7-1 on Friday, not once but twice, seems borderline impossible. Still, go Huskies! (the right ones).

USF had a 4-3 lead in the bottom of the 9th against #4 seed Hartford, but with 2 outs a throwing error allowed the tying run to score. However, in the top of the 11th the Bulls plated 5, 3 on a HR from Junior utility player Joe Genord. USF wins 9-4 and will have to beat Oklahoma State today before taking on undefeated and host Stetson who looked the part beating OSU 10-3 Saturday. USF will probably have to do it without the services of star closer Anthony Perez who threw 69 pitches yesterday.

After spanking another overrated B1G team (Purdue) 9-1 on Friday, Houston battled host and overall #6 North Carolina but fell short 4-3. Houston got some charity in the 7th but you kind of felt like they were done when Coldiron was thrown out at the plate trying to score the tying run on flyout to right. Houston will need to beat Purdue again then UNC twice to advance.

East Carolina thumped UNC-Wilmington 16-7 on Friday and faced South Carolina in a monster game Saturday. Packed house. ECU just couldn't get much going and fell to the Gamecocks 4-2. ECU will have to beat UNCW again (they sent the Buckeyes packing 2&Q) before needing to get USC twice.
            Last edited by WuDrWu; June 3, 2018, 11:21 AM.

Comment

In Athens, GA the winners bracket final between host Georgia and Troy was delayed due to weather. Duke trailed #4 Campbell 8-1 after 6, 8-3 after 7 and 8-5 entering the 9th. Campbell completely fell apart and Duke scored 11 in the 9th and advanced 16-8.

In Austin, host Texas rode 2 home runs from Roger Clemons son to beat A&M and advance to the finals.

At Clemson, Vandy held on to beat host Clemson to advance to the finals 4-3.

Oregon State is rolling in Corvallis. Arkansas, Florida & Texas Tech are all 2-0 hosts.

At Stanford, Cal State Fullerton got a 2 out walk off homer from Jayse "Jumbo" Chamberlain to send the host Cardinal to the losers bracket. The big guy's 1st career homer.

Auburn beat Army (upset winners over host NC State) to go 2-0 in Raleigh.

We're a day behind in Oxford due to weather. Ole Miss and Tennessee Tech will face off in the winner's final and Missouri State and St. Louis will battle to see who will stay alive to face the loser of the first game.

In Minneapolis the host Gophers got a run home in the top of the 10th to beat #2 UCLA 3-2. The Bruins will need to beat Gonzaga this afternoon before a rematch with Minnesota.

Comment

WuDrWu, you're an enigma. You are obviously a college baseball fan, and you love posting how AAC and other College playoff entrants are doing, yet you emphatically supported the dismissal of one of the greatest college baseball coaches of all time, and you vehemently support one of the most mediocre college baseball coaches of all time. I don't get it.

I'm somewhat surprised that you have time to post between mixing up those large vats of kool-aid that Boatright demands be consumed by the old and visionless who cheer on mediocrity. The WuDrWuClan who'd rather be right about a wrong than wrong about a right.

I apologize in advance if I have you pegged wrong.

Comment

• BOBB
                  BOBB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dude. WuDrWu can carry his own water, but I just want to comment how terribly thick you are. You have never been able to separate the firing of Gene from the hiring of Butler. They are separate. You can have an opinion about each, but they are not the same. It wasn't like Butler was the only possible outcome.

I'll also agree with you Gene should have never been fired. He should never have been rehired after the trip ylto Oklahoma. Again, your opinion on this is valid, just separate from the Butler issue.

• Veritas
                  Veritas commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So BOBB, you mainly agree with me, but I'm thick?. Please stop drinking the kool-aide served up with enthusiasm by the myopic out-of-date supporters. So much Kool-Aid stains on those faces, it is hard to tell the color. Is it red, or brown? Hard to distinguish.

• BOBB
                  BOBB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Veritas I agree that Butler is mediocre at best. I also think Gene had to go. It just should have never gotten to that point as he shouldn't have been rehired from Oklahoma. That would have been best everyone, but hindsight.

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                WuDrWu, you're an enigma. You are obviously a college baseball fan, and you love posting how AAC and other College playoff entrants are doing, yet you emphatically supported the dismissal of one of the greatest college baseball coaches of all time, and you vehemently support one of the most mediocre college baseball coaches of all time. I don't get it.

I'm somewhat surprised that you have time to post between mixing up those large vats of kool-aid that Boatright demands be consumed by the old and visionless who cheer on mediocrity. The WuDrWuClan who'd rather be right about a wrong than wrong about a right.

I apologize in advance if I have you pegged wrong.
                I wish you were wrong but unfortunately may be right.

Personal emotions can really get in the way of logic, even to the best of 'em.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

While I understand the arguments to keep Gene, I DO NOT understand those that think there weren't very, very solid reasons to not renew Gene's contract. Veritas, you kind of wear me out on that front.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

UCONN stayed alive dispatching LIU 10-3 after a slow start. But the Huskies likely burned both Gardner and Cate so while beating host Coastal Carolina appears challenging at least, then beating a Washington team that beat UCONN 7-1 on Friday, not once but twice, seems borderline impossible. Still, go Huskies! (the right ones).
                    UCONN stayed alive eliminating host Coastal Carolina today 6-5 but fell to Washington 6-9 as the wrong Huskies advance to the Super Regional.

Comment

USF had a 4-3 lead in the bottom of the 9th against #4 seed Hartford, but with 2 outs a throwing error allowed the tying run to score. However, in the top of the 11th the Bulls plated 5, 3 on a HR from Junior utility player Joe Genord. USF wins 9-4 and will have to beat Oklahoma State today before taking on undefeated and host Stetson who looked the part beating OSU 10-3 Saturday. USF will probably have to do it without the services of star closer Anthony Perez who threw 69 pitches yesterday.
                      USF fell to Oklahoma State 1-6 and were eliminated. Oklahoma State was then spanked by Stetson 11-1 and Stetson advances to the Super Regional.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 3, 2018, 09:46 PM.

Comment

After spanking another overrated B1G team (Purdue) 9-1 on Friday, Houston battled host and overall #6 North Carolina but fell short 4-3. Houston got some charity in the 7th but you kind of felt like they were done when Coldiron was thrown out at the plate trying to score the tying run on flyout to right. Houston will need to beat Purdue again then UNC twice to advance.
                        Houston eliminated Purdue 8-4. In a a wild slugfest North Carolina leads Houston going into the bottom of the 8th 14-11 with Houston scoring 2 in the 6, 2 in the 7th and 4 in the 8th. Unfortunately UNC scored 2 in the 6th, 3 in the 7th and loaded the bases in the bottom 8th with 1 out on 3 walks the last of which was intentional when the game was halted due to sever weather.

Comment

East Carolina thumped UNC-Wilmington 16-7 on Friday and faced South Carolina in a monster game Saturday. Packed house. ECU just couldn't get much going and fell to the Gamecocks 4-2. ECU will have to beat UNCW again (they sent the Buckeyes packing 2&Q) before needing to get USC twice.
                          ECU won't get a shot at beating South Carolina twice as the lost to UNC-Wilmington 7-9 tonight.

ECU, USF and UConn have been eliminated. Only Houston remains alive but they are in a tough spot agaisnt UNC per above once the game resumes.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 3, 2018, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Houston eliminated Purdue 8-4. In a a wild slugfest North Carolina leads Houston going into the bottom of the 8th 14-11 with Houston scoring 2 in the 6, 2 in the 7th and 4 in the 8th. Unfortunately UNC scored 2 in the 6th, 3 in the 7th and loaded the bases in the bottom 8th with 1 out on 3 walks the last of which was intentional when the game was halted due to sever weather.
                            Once play resumed 3 more walks given up by Houston pitchers plated 3 runs and a 2-out, 2-run single made it 19-11 UNC after 8 innings.

Houston was unable to dent the scoreboard in the 9th and the AAC is done.

Comment

Working...
                            X