No announcement yet.

Regional Projections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've reached the midseason point of the college baseball season. So, how does our staff see things shaping up at the end of the year? Find out.

Amazing that we're projected to host right now. With our RPI and SOS numbers, we have given ourselves a reasonable shot, assuming we don't tank. Definitely nice to be in the conversation again.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

I can't say I have been paying attention lately. But I remember Arkansas hosting in 2006 as a 2 seed. In 2008 Michigan hosted as #2. In 2010 UConn hosted as #2.

You're right. I'd just forgotten about Michigan and UConn hosting.

Arkansas only hosted as a 2 in 06 because Oklahoma State couldn't. There was a rodeo or something in Stillwater that weekend.

Comment

/close thread
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• ShockTalk
          ShockTalk commented
          Editing a comment
          OK. This is not funny......but it is.

College Sports Madness has us as a 2 seed in the Bloomington regional in yesterday's projections.

Comment

Boyd Nation has fixed the glitch in his RPI Needs Report that had us with an extra game on the schedule. Below is the updated report (excerpted from here):

Wichita State

Remaining: 14 home, 12 road, 0 neutral
          Current RPI: 15
          ROWP: 0.522

Top 45:

3 home wins, 12 road wins
          4 home wins, 11 road wins
          5 home wins, 10 road wins
          6 home wins, 9 road wins
          7 home wins, 8 road wins
          8 home wins, 6 road wins
          9 home wins, 5 road wins
          10 home wins, 4 road wins
          11 home wins, 3 road wins
          12 home wins, 2 road wins
          13 home wins, 0 road wins

Top 32:

5 home wins, 12 road wins
          6 home wins, 11 road wins
          7 home wins, 9 road wins
          8 home wins, 8 road wins
          9 home wins, 7 road wins
          10 home wins, 6 road wins
          11 home wins, 4 road wins
          12 home wins, 3 road wins
          13 home wins, 2 road wins
          14 home wins, 1 road wins

Top 16:

10 home wins, 12 road wins
          11 home wins, 10 road wins
          12 home wins, 9 road wins
          13 home wins, 8 road wins
          14 home wins, 6 road wins

Top 8:

12 home wins, 12 road wins
          13 home wins, 10 road wins
          14 home wins, 9 road wins

Comment

• Cdizzle
            Cdizzle commented
            Editing a comment
            Appears the Tulane game was a bit of a killer wrt hanging around the host cut line

Updated RPI Needs Report heading into the weekend (excerpted from Boyd's World):

Wichita State

Remaining: 14 home, 11 road, 0 neutral
          Current RPI: 11
          ROWP: 0.526

Top 45:

2 home wins, 11 road wins
          3 home wins, 10 road wins
          4 home wins, 9 road wins
          5 home wins, 8 road wins
          6 home wins, 6 road wins
          7 home wins, 5 road wins
          8 home wins, 4 road wins
          9 home wins, 3 road wins
          10 home wins, 2 road wins
          11 home wins, 1 road wins
          12 home wins, 0 road wins

Top 32:

4 home wins, 11 road wins
          5 home wins, 10 road wins
          6 home wins, 9 road wins
          7 home wins, 8 road wins
          8 home wins, 7 road wins
          9 home wins, 5 road wins
          10 home wins, 4 road wins
          11 home wins, 3 road wins
          12 home wins, 2 road wins
          13 home wins, 0 road wins

Top 16:

9 home wins, 11 road wins
          10 home wins, 10 road wins
          11 home wins, 8 road wins
          12 home wins, 7 road wins
          13 home wins, 6 road wins
          14 home wins, 4 road wins

Top 8:

12 home wins, 10 road wins
          13 home wins, 9 road wins
          14 home wins, 7 road wins

Comment

4/16 projections on College Sports Madness have us a 2 seed in the Bloomington Regional.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
              4/16 projections on College Sports Madness have us a 2 seed in the Bloomington Regional.
              Shocks have 16 games remaining. 4 AAC series @UCF (27-14, 7-8), Cincy (19-19, 8-7), USF (27-14, 9-6) and @Memphis (14-28, 1-11) remaining and 4 mid-week games inlcuding home and home with KSU and home games agaisnt ORU and South Dakota State on back-to-back days.

It looks to me like this schedule is quite a bit easier than what the Shocks have faced during the 1st half of conference play. The AAC teams the Shocks have played are 31-20 in AAC play collectively. The remaining 4 teams are 25-32 in AAC play. Instead of Oklahoma State (currently leading the Big 12) we get home and home with K-State (currently last in the Big 12).

So it looks like the opportunity is there to finish the season strong although the chance of a stumble against less highly ranked teams is also in play.

What do you think the Shocks need to do over the reamining 16 games to have an at-large selection locked up by the end of the regular season?

Comment

• ShockTalk
                ShockTalk commented
                Editing a comment
                Keep in mind, the teams we have already played have had the benefit of us going 4-8 against them and that Memphis makes up a lot of that lesser record of teams we have not played (and I don't believe we have swept any conference foe so far).

New projections from Baseball America today: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...of-64-4252017/

Don't agree with this one.

Comment

• Cdizzle
                Cdizzle commented
                Editing a comment
                Which part?

• shocks02
                shocks02 commented
                Editing a comment
                The Last Four In part.

• Cdizzle
                Cdizzle commented
                Editing a comment
                Fair enough. I really don't have a good feel for the selection process in baseball. WSU has a lot of good numbers, RPI 19, 6-6 vs Q1, 16-2 vs Q3&4. But 8th place(of 9) and a 1-3 series record in league is quite negative. WSU has 16 games remaining. Lets say they go 10-6. If that's 10 league wins, WSU could end up a 2 seed, despite tanking the midweek for the last 3 weeks. If that's 6 league wins, WSU could end up on the outside looking in. Which is an interesting dynamic.

Wow. 5 teams from a 9 team conference included one host spot. Strong.

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                New projections from Baseball America today: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...of-64-4252017/

Don't agree with this one.
                The trend is downward. Couple weeks ago they were potential hosts, now they are last 4 in. If they don't start winning some conference series they will be staying home.

Comment

Not sure we need top do this well but I'm thinking for the Shocks to feel that they have an at-large locked up the need to go 8-4 in the AAC and 2-2 in the reamining non-con games. With how they do in the AAC tournament determing whether they will be a 2 or 3 seed.

I don't really follow the selection process that closely but I would feel pretty good about the Shocks locking up a bid the regular season with that record if they can finish out with that record.

Comment

This team has work to do. Fortunately, there are still 15+ games left and ample time to play their way in.

East Carolina, UCF, Houston, UConn, and USF are in both projections.

Baseball America (5/2/18): https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...ld-of-64-5218/
                    D1 Baseball (5/1/18): https://d1baseball.com/postseason/pr...ield-64-may-1/

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                      This team has work to do. Fortunately, there are still 15+ games left and ample time to play their way in.
                      With the cancelation of today's game there are only 12 regular season games remaining on the schedule. AAC series with Cincy, USF and Memphis and non--con games with ORU (RPI 170), South Dakota State (RPI 240) and Kansas State (RPI 135).

The Shocks need to go 7-2 in the three remaining AAC series to get to 0.500 in league play. Not impossilbe, but certainly will require a major turn around from their AAC perforumances to date and with the RPI's of the remaining non-con opponents not sure we can afford a loss to any of them either.

If the Shocks finish 10-2 to end the season I think they should be in. Maybe even 9-3 depending on who they lose to. But the probablities of that happening can't be very good. In other words, the Shocks will have to beat the odds at this point.

Comment

Let me preface this by saying I'm not complaining, but how in the hell do we still have a top 25 RPI. I know we started the season off great (against mediocre teams), and we have pulled out some good mid-week wins against OU and OSU, but we are 9-11 over our past 20 games and our RPI has only fallen 10 - 12 spots. We have a losing record against the top 100 RPI teams (9-12) and we are 5-11 in our conference but somehow in the world of RPI that equates to a 23?

We have played a good schedule and are in a very good conference but I guess I just thought if you were losing, your RPI would be dropping (especially if you were near the top). Maybe I am the one that is confused and just used to life in the MVC where you couldn't lose on the weekend or your RPI would plummet. Maybe this is just the benefits of winning early and being in a good conference but Houston had an RPI of 130ish when they swept us and their RPI skyrocketed but ours only fell from like 15 to 20. Maybe my memory is failing but if we would have ever been swept by an MVC team that had a 130 RPI it seems we would have seen a 20 or 30 point drop.

Look at Missouri State by comparison. MSU is 12-8 over their last 20 with very comparable competition (they did play a series against RPI killer Evansville but also played 4 games against top 10 RPI teams). MSU is 10-9 against top 100 RPI teams while WSU is 9-11 over the past 20 games and 9-12 against top 100 RPI teams. In that time MSUs RPI fell from 29 to 56 and WSUs RPI fell from 15 to 23 (it was actually still 19 until last night).
                        Last edited by shockfan89_; May 5, 2018, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X