Shockers @ McNeese State (Game 1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shockers @ McNeese State (Game 1)

Thought I would throw this here as Friday approaches. Dayton Dugas had corrective eye-surgery and now is claiming he can hit a breaking ball!

Weekend Rotation:
    Friday - Codi Heuer (Jr.)
    Saturday - Liam Eddy (Fr.)
    Sunday - Conner Lungmitz (Jr.) *likely

Sounds like Alex Segal will be available in relief after having surgery. Cody Tyler will return later in the spring. http://goshockers.com/news/2018/2/14...r-offense.aspx

Well let's hope that whatever procedure Dayton had on his eyes it helps him. No question he as some phsyical tools if he can make contact. This will be interestint to see how it goes.

If he was 20/200 in his left eye (and presuming this was known) it's shame this wasn't fixed much sooner in his career.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 14, 2018, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Sooooo, in 2 years nobody thought about checking the eyesight?

Classic.

I'll hold off on my optimism, but maybe he'll actually be able to see fly balls from the outfield now, too.

Comment

I see Trey Vickers will be on the shelf this weekend with a strained hamstring.

Luke Ritter (2B), Greyson Jenista (CF) and Alec Bohm (3B) will be in the top 3 spots in the lineup followed by Mason O'Brien (1B) in the cleanup spot. Hopefully, O'Brien can be good enough to make then pitch to Alec.

Jordan Boyer will start at SS in place of Vickers. Not sure where he will bat.

That leaves the starts at Catcher, the outfield corners and the DH to be determined. I would probably go with Travis Young in left and Alex Jackson in right and Jacob Katzfey at DH but who knows how they have been perfourming in practice.

Unless Gunnar Troutwine has become a catcher all of a sudden or is tearing the cover all the ball enough to make up for his poor receiving skills I would probably opt for Noah Croft behind the plate. But I guess we will see.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 14, 2018, 12:31 PM.

Comment

McNeese State (RPI 45 last year) is the defending champion of the Southland. Is picked 3rd this year. Southland conference was 12th last year (MVC was 16th). Southland sent 2 team to the regionals (McNeese was not one of them because they had a bad Southland tournament). They have 3 big players:

OF Shane Selman (14 HR, 59 RBI 0.333/0.367/0.615)
        2B Joe Provenzano (54 RBI, 0.336/0.437/0.498)
        RP Grant Anderson (8-0, 56 K in 62 IP, 2.30 ERA)

As a team they hit 0.305, scoring 7.1 rpg. Pitching staff had an ERA of 4.19.

Comment

I predict this game thread will be the longest one of the year.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

McNeese State will need to replace their #1, #4, #5 and #7 average hitters from last year:

1. OF Ricky Ramirez (.343/.464/.500/.964, 52 RBI, 61 R)
            4. OF Robbie Podorsky (.323/.401/.460/.861,28 RBI, 67 R) - Drafted and signed as a Junior.
            5. 3B Matt Gallier (.319/.452/.546/.998, 12 HR, 54 RBI, 43 R)
            7. SS Will Fox (.291/.418/.374/.792, 26 RBI, 35 R)

On the pitching staff they will be replacing one of their top 2 starters, Austin Sanders. He was 7-2 in 15 starts (no relief appearnces - averaged averaged 5.2 innings per start) with an ERA of 3.26.

They also will be replacing two relievers that combined for 14 of the team's 17 saves last year. Trent Fontenont recorded 5 saves with an ERA of 2.10 in 34.1 innings covrering 25 appearances. Collin Kober recorded 9 saves with an ERA of 3.16 over 25.2 innings covering 23 appearances.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
              McNeese State (RPI 45 last year) is the defending champion of the Southland. Is picked 3rd this year. Southland conference was 12th last year (MVC was 16th). Southland sent 2 team to the regionals (McNeese was not one of them because they had a bad Southland tournament). They have 3 big players:

OF Shane Selman (14 HR, 59 RBI 0.333/0.367/0.615)
              2B Joe Provenzano (54 RBI, 0.336/0.437/0.498)
              RP Grant Anderson (8-0, 56 K in 62 IP, 2.30 ERA)

As a team they hit 0.305, scoring 7.1 rpg. Pitching staff had an ERA of 4.19.
              Think they'll notice if we trade coaches? The one we have never took McNeese higher than 5th in the Southland.

Comment

Looking forward to the series this weekend. Go Shocks!!! There will be a really good number of family members and fans in attendance. Dayton for sure will have a bunch of fans!

Comment

Game today is at 6PM. I usually like the February/March weekday games because they give me something to listen to at work.

Comment

Any chance this game is streaming on the American's YouTube channel?

Comment

Moved to softball thread.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 16, 2018, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Wait is this a softball or baseball thread?

Comment

• Downtown Shocker Brown
                          Downtown Shocker Brown commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I would guess those still posting in this thread still seem to care.

• ShockTalk
                          ShockTalk commented
                          Editing a comment
                          OK, Downtown Shocker Brown, you forced me to post in this thread so I can be counted. Cdizzle, I still care. May not post as much or be that enthusiastic, but I still care. After all, it is Shocker Baseball.

• Cdizzle
                          Cdizzle commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yeah. Me too.

We're all suckers.

Beautiful 78 degrees in Lake Charles. Steady south wind blowing out to CF. Rain looks to hold off until after game. Going to be a great night for baseball.

Comment

Great start LOL
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                          X